Did Anything In Field Service Make You Question The Society?

by The wanderer 40 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello Blondie,

Yes, if that bread loaf pan is dented, everything that comes out of that pan will be flawed

Why does that sound so familiar?LOL

• cellomould
    cellomould

a young man named Charlie told me he did not believe in God. i replied something like, 'well, wouldn't it be comforting to know that we aren't alone in the universe?'. he then said, 'actually, i find it comforting to think that we are alone in the universe.' i couldn't argue with that! then i promised to come back with some reasons or other as to why the bible was the inspired word of God. our conversation had been much more courteous than it may seem, by the way. anyhow, i then proceeded to go home and actually...read the bible! within a couple of hours, i asked myself some questions i could have never tolerated before. within only a couple of weeks, i was on the fast track to 'inactive and skeptical'. i didn't become bitter until i found this discussion board some months later. still working on that. great topic!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I hated the whole concept of return visits on people who clearly were not interested but were just polite in taking the literature. I used to cringe when I rang a doorbell and some not-too-happy person answered the door wondering what the hell we were doing there.

I confess I also hated field service in a general way because I had doubts about some teachings and I felt a bit of a hypocrite at the doors.

LHG

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Did Anything In Field Service Make You Question The Society?

Yes.

Trying to convince already happy, successful, and well-adjusted people that their lives would somehow improve by going to the KH 5 times a week, surrounded by unhappy, unsuccessful, maladjusted people.

• jam
    jam

Years ago I was out in service with CO. First door so it was early between 9-10oclock. I ring the bell no answer, then the co bang on the door.The man came to door in his pajamas eyes red and a little upset. He said, I thought it was the police. This guy made it clear he works nites. I could relate because I also work nites.But this did not stop the CO. After a few min. the man just close the door in our face while the the CO was talking. I thought it was funny. The CO grab his bag and made the comment what is more important sleep or Gods word. I thought what would happen if someone came too his door at 2 AM with the Bible to discuss the book of Rev. This is the same CO who gave our cong. a special talk ,we need to make a complete stop at the stop signs, wait a few seconds. He took notes while riding with the bro. in service.Who was coming to a complete stop.

• Casper
    Casper

I would get so nervous and tongue tied in fs..........I would often go back to the car feeling guilty and worthless, wondering how someone's whole future could possibly be determined by their reaction to my jumbled up 30 second presentation. Even I would not have bought what I was saying. I got totally sick of all the guilt.

Cas

• lonecat
    lonecat

With me it was while out in FS with my mom, I was probably 13 or so. The householder wanted to know why we didn't celebrate holidays. She understood my mothers' explanations on the big religious holidays like Christmas and Easter, but I remember after my mom gave the incredibly weak arguments against mothers/fathers days and birthdays, the householder simply asked

"Did I miss the reason? I don't understand...."

Of course my mom tried to explain it again, but it sounded even more lame the second time....the householder just said something to the effect of "Oh for Christ's sake that's the most ridiculous pile of crap I've ever heard."

Even at 13 I remember thinking not only how right that householder was, but how embarassed I was. I did a little research myself after that and just didn't buy a lot of the lame reasons and arguments in WTS Literature.

I also used to have a Jeep as a teen, and got scolded by a goofy elder after taking a group of other kids out in service with the convertible top down on a beautiful day because it "wasn't presentable" to be out in a Jeep in field service. The elder also said the Jeep had "worldy chrome rims and pinstriping on it"! What does THAT even mean?

He took a top end Lincoln Continental out in the service....that wasn't worldly with it's leather upholstery and walnut dash and huge gas guzzling V8? We wouldn't want the householders in the territory seeing a bunch of happy youths out on a sunny day enjoying themselves while spreading the message now, would we? I guess only stiff looking, staid youngsters with a constant stick up their asses in that elders Lincoln were "presentable."

Give me a break. I never went in FS again after that.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

I was told, "You people (J-Dubs) only do what your Governing Body tells you to do." Up till then I had never thought of myself as a mindless automoton. That day changed my life for ever, as it was the y day I began to question, and to lern how to think for myself.

• jam
    jam

right after the jones town ,,jim jones and his followers, we were out in service. A GREAT OPPORTUNITY too expose false religion. The householder stated you people are know better then the jonse town cult. She ask me If the people in charge told us, all Jw must move too some isolated place because the end was near. You know and I know many would move. They have no say if thay are to remain a jw.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

To Outaservice:

Excellent comment about placing old books. Since many things in ANY of the older books have changed, how could the contents of those books be "new light" or "proper food" as you said? Any householder reading a 20 year old book as his/her first WT publication would not get the proper view, would they?

Bethel: You still are just a book publishing empire whose topic is just always "Religion". Oh, and you are a CULT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit