Did Anything In Field Service Make You Question The Society?

by The wanderer 40 Replies latest jw friends

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Did Anything In Field Service Make You Question The Society?

An ex-Jehovah’s Witnesses planted a seed of doubt by stating that she felt to be a good
    witness an individual had to be a conformist. She claimed that this drove her out of the
    organization because she believed in individuality.

Did You Ever Find Yourself Questioning Yourself After Field Service?

Can you recall a time a seed of doubt was planted in which you started to question
    yourself or the Watchtower Society during field service?

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

(P.S. This happened years ago and it has stuck with me since then.)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I once found it impossible to explain in any logical way why beards are not used. He was a bible student(never did anything) and as I was trying to explain it to him the real absurdity of it all smacked me upside the head.

Nvr

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I once had a guy ask me why a father would release a vicious roaring lion in a back yard where his children were playing.

I told him I would research it and get back to him... never did.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

One guy asked me about Beth-Sarim when I was a teenager. I was certain he was lying. Funny thing is, I remember that conversation like it took place yesterday.

Nvr

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

When I was a kid we went to one door and they gave us an anti-witness pamphlet. After we went back to the car I asked something to the effect of "Since we have the truth couldn't we just prove that pamphlet wrong?". I was brushed off with something about it being apostate material and we should have anything to do with it.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yep. If our service was supposed to be to Jehovah, how come our words were scripted by the WTS and anything that came from our own thoughts wasn't approved by the WTS? It's as though they wanted control of every move we made and every word we spoke. We were given free will and freedom of choice, but the WTS takes it away.

Frannie

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

" ... and as I was trying to explain it to him the real absurdity of it all smacked me upside the head."

That was one of the funniest passages today! LOL

Thank you,

LVR

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Numerous times, 3 off the top of my head:

1- When studying with a couple, they brought up "love feasts". Seemed silly at the moment, but when I researched it, I found the JWs lacking in love.

2- When studying with a man, he wanted to use the Bible instead of the publication (don't remember which one now) I said that would be a great idea, as I read the Bible avidly, but the PO I brought along actually discouraged it, saying we should stick to the publication!

3- When studying with another couple, I (having a Bachelor's in Engineering at the time) brought them (he had a Bachelor's in Biology) to the hall only to hear a Sunday talk in which the Public Speaker knew nothing about science, and it was apparent to me (embarrassed) and he (appalled), even though the talk was "riddled" with "science"!

BA- Many others I don't care to remember!

PS- Follow your conscience.

• zack
    zack

Not directly in service, but after closing the field service meeting in prayer, an uber elder said to me:

"Every now and then you should thank Jehovah for the Org. that makes all this possible"

The text for that day was Matt. 28:19,20 where Jesus said "I will be with you...."

I thought the suggestion was just this guy's personality. Now I know why he said it. It didn't sit well with me, I was never

a company man.

• themonster123
    themonster123

yeah, once i went to the door with a pioneer sister and she invited him to come to our hall or whatever and then he said something to the effect of, "I think that's great what you're doing and I also invite you to come to my church." Afterwards I asked her how we're supposed to combat that nicely when someone says that and then I realized why do i have to combat it at all? If we're coming to THEIR door to talk to them about OUR religion, why is it so horrible to return the favor to them? If they come to our hall (in actuality, usually doesn't happen) to see what we believe and having an open mind to see what we believe, how can we not do the same for theM?!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit