Letter back from JW friend.

by Matt_fs 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

One thought that I would work into the reply would be in response to what he said about "making sure of the more important things", God and Christ, and such:

Mention to him that part of "making sure" of those important things would be to heed the counsel from God and Jesus as outlined in the Bible. For instance, we can't ignore what Jesus said at Matthew 24:23-24 about those, like the WTS, who claim that Jesus returned invisibly. Jesus didn't say, "Be on the lookout for people who claim that I have appeared, and then years later, change their teaching on it. That will be the true religion. Even though they were wrong, they have my blessing." No, Jesus WARNED us to watch out for very things that the WTS has done. Even in verse 25, Jesus emphasizes it again by saying, "See, I have told you beforehand."

Help him to understand the confusion that he might be feeling, and that our Creator helps us with that through the scriptures, too. Share Deuteronomy 18:20-22 with him concerning that. God makes it clear in those verses that any man, group, organization that prophecies/predicts things claiming that they come from God, and they DON'T come to pass...God assures us that this man/group/organization is 1. false, 2. will die, and 3. is nothing to be afraid of.

In light of those verses and God's strong disgust toward false prophets, it would be logical to accept that the verse in Proverbs 4 about the "light getting brighter" was NOT included in the Bible canon as an excuse for false prophecy. God's revelations to His people throughout the centuries have been clear, complete, and backed by evidence of His spirit. And individually, as Solomon said, the light DOES "get brighter" for us as we progress in our understanding of God and the Scriptures.

Hope my input was helpful.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I'm with Crumpet on this one. If you put it in writing that you no longer agree with JW's then you will be "outed" and announced as "no longer one of JW's" He worded that in such a way as to get you to say you are no longer a JW.. if you say you agree with JW's teachings then he can't talk to you, if you say you don't... then you can be df'd for apostacy.

I would tell him that you are "confused" about this or that.. make it sound like you are unsure.. that way he feels like there is a need to help you, not shun you.

Whatever you do.. do not put it in writing that you no longer agree with what JW's teach!! Unless you don't care about being "outed" and/or df'd.

And that's my two cents

Misty

• Matt_fs
    Matt_fs

I just want to make clear for everyone that when I was growing up I had a JW live in my basement suite, I became really good friends with him and our friendship lasted 15 years. I never once was a JW, brought up as a JW or have been considering becoming one, though I did agree with lots of what they did have to say untill I did my own research and brought this up to him. This then ended our friendship, but this letter is to a completely different friend.

So I am not affraid of putting anything in writing. Thanks for all your comments though!

Cheers

Matt

• metaspy
    metaspy

From what I got out of his letter, your friend has left the borg.

I guess I'd like to ask you if you believe what the Jehovah's Witnesses teach? Because if you do then you have made a decision to ignore it, which means I should not have contact with you. As it says in 2 John 9,10.

So what I gather from his letter: if you ignore your previous questionings and go along with the JWs, he will not have contact.
    Perhaps I am reading this wrong...

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Sometimes you just gotta let go. witnesses will tell converts to examine their religion and if anything seems out of line they need to bail from that religion. But out the other side of their mouth they say if the WTB$ has done some wrong or made some errors its in the past and after all the light gets brighter.

You see how you cant win this argument. Even if you set a time limit on how far back you go in research and question's (say the past ten years) it is still in the past and the light is still getting brighter.

• KW13
    KW13

I think the sensible thing would be to come across to your friend as a fellow believer in God and in a future 'promise' if that is what you are.

If its appropriate, ask him to consider...

*Should NEW Light contradict Old Light?

*Mistakes, Errors, Contradictions = CONFUSION...why would Jehovah want to confuse us?

*If God is leading and the Faithful & Discreet slave is inspired by God to help direct his will on earth, why are there ANY mistakes? Surely the organization belongs to him not men.

The Bible itself says that we should question things, if only to make sure we have it right.

2 Corinthians 13:5 (New International Version)

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit