Letter back from JW friend.

by Matt_fs 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Matt_fs
    Matt_fs

Something weird happened there, it didnt post. Now I have to re write it ha.

Hey folks

I wrote a friend asking him why I have not heard from him in a while, and I received a reply, so I wrote back asking a few questions and this is what he wrote back:

Hey Matt,

First off, I think need to apologize to you for not talking to you earlier about this whole situation. I know you're a good person Matt and Ive always enjoyed hanging out with you.

We have been out of contact from you for a while now and that choice had nothing to do with *****. He never even told me that you guys stopped hanging out or for me not to hang out with you.

My choice had come from thinking deeply about certian conversations that you and I had. And about your motives behind different questions you asked. I can remember very clearly you getting hung up on certain past mistakes that the Watchtower Bilble and Tract society had made, and to me it was upsetting to hear. After all the Bible does speak about the light getting brighter in Proverbs 4:18. I guess what I've done is looked at the bigger picture, like, who is God, who Jesus is, why he died, and what is the Kingdom. Like it says in Philippians 1:10 about making sure of the more important things.

I guess I'd like to ask you if you believe what the Jehovah's Witnesses teach? Because if you do then you have made a decision to ignore it, which means I should not have contact with you. As it says in 2 John 9,10.

I hope you can understand this. By the way our simease cat Sheeba got hit by a car. It sucked, she was like our baby. I hope your little chihuahua (is that how its spelled) is ok. Take care Bud.

Best Regards;

I am going to be writing him back, and I was wondering if any of you could assist me with some questions that dont come across as "having motives" A lot of you on here have experience with this and have a lot more knowledge than I do. So any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Matt

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

I wonder what it said?

• anewme
    anewme

....and you are speechless?

• ninja
    ninja

I would say...I am not bothered so much about the watchtower making mistakes...my problem is they have made prophecies and said God was behind their prophecies....then when the prophecies dont come true it brings reproach on Gods name or reputation....and show him Deuteronomy...Chapter 18 verses 20-22...where it says that God will hold that prophet responsible........just one avenue matt...and ask him to read proverbs 4:19 instead of 18 and ask if this doesnt apply more to the watchtower society....they have never had one prophecy come true....look at all the false prophecies online

• willyloman
    willyloman
    I am going to be writing him back, and I was wondering if any of you could assist me with some questions...

I wouldn't write back; he's already made it clear that if you are questioning "mother," he wants nothing to do with you.

But, that's me.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I would write back. I would tell him that I understand his position. Let him know you actually feel concern for him because one's spiritual health should be of utmost importance, so much so that if you allow man to dictate what your spiritual path must be, then you are going against everything Christ taught. He said "in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men."

Then I would tell him that your search for truth is in accordance with what the Bible tells youto do. Philllipians tells us to "keep working outyour own salvation with fear and trembling." Corinthians tells us to keep testing our faith and Ephesians says to keep on making sure of what is acceptable to the Lord. So, you are the one abiding by scripture. It is not wrong to question anything!! It's wrong not to.

Tell him your spiritual health is so important to you that you cannot allow anyone, especially imperfect men who have made so many mistakes and false prophecies, to hinder your own prayerful search and that he had better be careful himself by putting an organization of men who claim to be God's sole channel before God and Christ.

Then I would tell him this: "I actually feel concern for you, (his name), because you are not allowed to actually search for Truth. You have to put your faith in an organization of men because they will not allow their members to research and think for themselves lest they actually find out the real truth. You're the one treading on dangerous ground because it's your life that's in the balance. When you're ready to understand, I'm here for you......(Oh, and P.S.: Sorry about your cat.)

MY PET PIEVE IS THAT THEY ALWAYS TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL SPIRITUALLY WEAK AND INFERIOR. THEY ARE THE ONES THAT NEED TO SEE THAT THEIR SPIRITUAL HEALTH IS IN JEOPARDY BY PLACING IT IN THE HANDS OF A BUNCH OF POWER-GRUBBING, ARROGANT, IMPERFECT, FALSE-PROPHESYING, EDUCATIONALLY MEDIOCRE, FEAR MONGERS.

Just my thoughts for what they're worth.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think you have to exercise caution. I would ask him which particular aspects of JW teachings he is referring to in his question? You have to have straight in your mind too what it is you believe and what you dont believe but if you dont want to be announced as one of the "no longers" and be subsequently shunned then you have to be super uber careful. I'd be inclined not to put things in writing as they will be used in evidence against you in absentia.

• sinis
    sinis

My thoughts are to do it SLOWLY, just as a frog will boil to death if you SLOWLY apply heat, rather than all at once. I would not tell him I have doubts, rather you are trying to understand the conflicting stories of the JW past. Tell him you found some old WTS/Russell books at a book store and was reading through them. Ask him about the prophecies or how Russell came up with 1914, and that you found it was initially based on pyramidology, and was later changed by Rutherford. At some point a reasonable person has to conclude that the excuse of the light getting brighter is bullshit, and that the light NEVER existed. I would always describe yourslef as the ancient Boreans, and your quest to make sure of all things, and that knowledge to make a more informed decision and basing your faith on this knowledge is NOT the same as doubting.

• unique1
    unique1

If you read 2 John 8,9 in context you will see it is talking about those not believing in Christ, since you do that scripture would not apply to you. (You merely don't believe that the WBTS is the truth, that has nothing to do with Jesus). It really amazes me how they cannot differentiate the two.

7 Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist. 8 Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully. 9 Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, do not take him into your house or welcome him. 11 Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.
  • pierogi
    pierogi

So your friend uses 2 John 9 and 10 to explain why he shoudn't have contact with you?

9 Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in the teaching of the Christ does not have God. He that does remain in this teaching is the one that has both the Father and the Son. 10 If anyone comes to YOU and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into YOUR homes or say a greeting to him.

It seems like this scripture should be directed to the WT society not you. Your friend asked you if you still believe what the JWs teach and later refers to the scripture above. Since when did Christ translate to JWs?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit