Is the Society more Orwellian than it used to be?

by under_believer 10 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer

I was born in the 70's, grew up during the 80's, was a young adult during the 90's. I was born into the Witnesses and attended meetings that whole time. I am still attending meetings, in fact, for my wife's sake.

And is it just me, or does the Society talk a whole lot more these days about
    * loyalty
    * obedience to "God's Organization"
    * avoiding independent thinking?

Maybe I just wasn't paying very much attention before. Or maybe I'm more sensitive to it now that I know what to look for. Or maybe they really do beat that drum a lot harder than they used to.

For those who are still reasonably well acquainted with the current steam of "$piritual food" coming out of Brooklyn, what do you think?

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

You are right. As threatening teachings are more readily available, thru the internet, the tightening of control becomes more necessary. Much like when the Congressman visited Jim Jones.

• Caine
    Caine

I think theyve always stated that, but your eyes were wide shut. But what is interesting is that in the new "bible teach book" I will find the page. For the first time it was stated that our dedications are to Jehovah, and not to an organization, or to another human.

This is the first time I have ever heard a quote like this in society publication, and this is the latest publication they are pushing to start bible studies. I just wonder after going over that part, how the person conductiong the study will be able to explain things tat are purely organizational...i.e...no beards, no more that one earring in each ear for women, hair styles.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    Much like when the Congressman visited Jim Jones.

I watched the documentary on this just last night.....sickening. All I can say is that when a society aka organization begins to close in onto itself, when it further removes itself from the outside world - it's a tragedy waiting to happen. A magazine dedicated solely to those active JW's is the start of a fast slippery slope to destruction, so when I first heard of this happening, the red flags went up. This action alone fuels the fire for the witnesses that they are special, that nobody can or will understand them, they and only they have the secret, the end of this system is close at hand....on and on....sammieswife.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    You are right. As threatening teachings are more readily available, thru the internet, the tightening of control becomes more necessary.

There is absolutely no doubt about it. Remember the "new and improved" Organized book dedicates an entirely new chapter to establishing the authority of the Governing Body. Recent outlines presented in elder meetings with the COs have warned against the dangers of independent thinking. No. It's not just your imagination. They have lost the respect of many and are trying to regain it in all the wrong ways.

Nvr

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think they haven't changed much since the 1980's when I left, but it was shortly before this that they became very hard line with ex JWs after the Bethel mutiny in the early 1980's. I can recall them going on about the foolishness of trying to run ahead of the FDS and how we should patiently await on jehovah to direct the FDS to make the right changes and other such crashing nonsense. It was all about not disobeying the "slave", not going to university, not rocking the boat.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I agree with you Greendawn that the 80s Bethel mutiny was a turning point but things have changed. A Watchtower publication just for the Witnesses is very cultic. Mercks Medical Manual has a section on mind control and I believe it mentions using special terminology that only the cult members understand is one of the tactics cults use. I should try to find that.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I didn't find that in the section of the Merck Manual I have on my computer but what I do Have is interesting.

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

When you read the Watchtower articles in the 1950's the language was a lot stronger in terms of glorifying the organisation. Phrases like 'the new world society' etc etc were common. (Prior to that the focus was on powerful individuals, ie, the Presidents, Russell, Rutherford, etc.) Of course, there is still that emphasis on the organisation as the only way to salvation, but there has been a trend away from that somewhat to be replaced by an increasing focus on submission the GB and its authority. So, if by 'Orwellian' you mean obedience to a 'big brother' authority structure through the use of propaganda, fear tactics, mind-control, etc, then my answer would be no, things have not got worse per se. The Orwellian 'big brother' has always been there but in different guises: first powerful presidents, then the 'organisation', and now increasingly the GB.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Thanks yadda, at this point I'm going to go with "I never noticed before." Either more maturity from becoming an adult, or having my eyes opened by learning to trust myself to think for myself, has made the control issues more clear to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit