my first pledge of allegiance

by BlackSwan of Memphis 26 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Oh wow thanks for the link and article Jeff. Did you visit their site? Very cool page.

Good thoughts on why one would pledge allegiance.

allegiance is defined as: "Obligation of fidelity and obedience to government in consideration for protection that government gives."

That was interesting. The only issue I would take up, is that who does the Govt protect? Do they always protect the people?

My guess is that many could say no. Just a thought.

Very nice link, thank you!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Undercover that's the way it is in this world, every nation has its good and its bad side it's a very mixed bag. We have to do all we can to strengthen the good side.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it's too bad they make children recite that tripe.

tetra

• POs Son
    POs Son

While the US pledge reads "to the flag of the United States of America," the more important part, im my mind is the following, "and to the republic for which it stands, one nation..."

The NATION is the people, and I feel, the ideals by which they live. The government is simply the horrible abomination of employees hired by the nation to handle the affairs of the people. Sadly, in this nation, the government has become bloated, self-serving and self-assuming. As originally designed, the government was designed to be as small as necessary to manage the peoples needs of security and basic welfare.

I proudly pledge my allegiance to the NATION, and I tolerate the government that we have collectively hired, despite their frequent poor performance. This nation is worthy of my allegiance as it is one of the few places that I am free to think and do as I wish. (Within reason, I know...)

• Mulan
    Mulan

I still don't say it. I do stand, and put my hand on my heart, but I let everyone else say it. Just feels funny after a lifetime of not saying it.

Maybe someday. I do love my country.

• wormwood
    wormwood

No other country pleges allegiance to any flags. As for greens comment, it (the flag) "stands for freedom justice"and whatever else. It's really hard to detect sarcasim on a forum..are you being sarcastic with the freedom justice bit? I hope so...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I haven't been a JW for over 20 years, but have never recited the pledge of allegiance - it just doesn't come up anywhere I go I guess. However, I do sing the "Star Spangled Banner" - not for any patriotic reason - I just like to sing it. I like to sing "How Great Thou Art" too, and I don't believe in god. It's just a nice song to sing. I don't imagine I'd recite the pledge even if I were in a situation where it was done, mainly because I wouldn't know the words and I think that reciting a pledge isn't likely to prove anyone's loyalty. It's a matter of indoctrinating young people, gotta make them repeat things a few thousand times until they think they believe it.

• Priest73
    Priest73

I was at a PTA meeting last month, and my son's class sang the Star Spangled Banner. I could not imagine making him sit out from the rest of the class. I had to, but it's funny I still know all of the words. =-)

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I still can't say the pledge....not for any religious reason, though...just because I don't support the policies of the current administration.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Wow, BSoM! This past weekend was my first pledge of allegiance, too!

I got it all except "indivisible" ... I probably forgot that one since it is pretty divided.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit