Simple life, which is better?

by avidbiblereader 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Is living a simple life without debt or very little better than trying to have it all and having it NOW?

I see this all the time in my line of work and the toll it takes on people, marriages and families. What do you think besides having it all and having it NOW?

abr

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I think debt free is much more appealing. i hate being in debt, which is odd as I have been for most of my adult life. I recently got debtfree and am struggling not to go into debt again but torn between the desire to travel more or staying debt free.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I know, I am totally debt free for the last 4 years and love it, I prefer to have less rather than more and "I OWE I OWE SO OFF TO WORK I GO"

abr

• prophecor
    prophecor

Ecclesiastes 1

1:8
    Everything is so weary and tiresome! No matter how much we see, we are never satisfied. No matter how much we hear, we are not content.

To shoot for the moon in all it seems pointless. The things we have to have in our lives, quickly become just another something else to keep us chasing after the next high, the next rush, the next reality show on Fox television. It's all pointless in the end.

• DJK
    DJK

When my wife and I were raising five kids, we struggled financially. Thats when we were the happiest for some strange reason. When money was plenty, we fought often and it wasn't even over money. Having money before it is spent is still the best way to go.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Somedays I think the Amish have the right idea.

Everyone should do their best to live within their means. Debt is a terrible thing and just makes you poorer than when you started borrowing. Some debt is good like student loans or a mortgage, but even then people can buy houses they can't afford. It's best to work with what you've got, because if you borrow money they'll just take more of that money you don't have away.

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie
    I am totally debt free for the last 4 years and love it,

Amazing, abr! You must not have any kids.

YC

• Apostate Kate
    Apostate Kate

Dept free and my ranch is nearly paid off wooohooo! I'd much rather live a simple life.

I am thinking I need to save up some money to get some anti wrinkle work done in the future. Vanity vanity vanity...

• LynnA
    LynnA

I am still trying to pay off bills my ex left when he did his rapid exit from our lives. Unbeknownst to me, while I was lost in my struggle with pain and its effects, he was busy accumulating enough debt to choke me speechless when it came time to try to sort out his messes. Joint account left overdrawn, bounced checks all over town, payroll advance loans and loans from friends and family all unpaid, a student loan disbursement used to leave the state instead of for tuition... I am still feeling the effects of his debting, redirecting the debtors calling about debt he has incurred since he left, arranging to pay of what I can on things he accumulated during the marriage. It's a mess.

However, for the first time in years my household bills are all paid on time and I am chipping at the past bills. Grateful as hell to SSI and ADC for supporting us, grateful twice over for a cheap (albeit fleabag) rental and for a brother who shares rent. Life is simpler now and I look forward to simplifying even more as I pay off the past due crap and am able to forget about that aspect of the marriage's failure.

Having two major surgeries has improved and simplified my life too. It was so worth the pain and inconvenience to have the hips replaced. It's much easier to think rationally when you aren't feeling bones grind with every movement.

Slowly, slowly, I am shedding past encumbrances, fears, pains, disappointments, and pointless debting. Simplicity is my goal. I'm not there yet, but then isn't there a cliche about success being a journey not a destination?

some say I've been simple all along...

lynnA

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Chelbie actually I have three kids, 22,21, 19 and three grandkids 19 months and a 7 month We have our middle daughter getting married this year and have helped all of them get on their feet in many ways, when my second wife and I got together over 5 1/2 years ago, we each had a household full of "stuff", we went through our stuff and threw away what we didn't need and since then when we think we need something, we realize that we don't, since we ended up throwing so much away. Use it or lose it mentality. abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit