Lady In The Water

by gaiagirl 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• parakeet
    parakeet

I'm a big fan of M. Night, but "Lady in the Water" didn't quite work for me. The concept of a mythical creature arriving in a swimming pool to help a building full of misfits was too improbable for me to take seriously. Although there were some intentionally humorous moments (the smug film critic critiqueing his own death scene was pretty good), the other characters seemed cartoonish and silly.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I waited for the film to come out on DVD. I too like Shamalamdingdongs movies. I agree with Parakeet on this one. Though I love Giamatti, he was trapped in a stinker here. It ran as if it were being made up as it went. Parts of the script sounded so convoluted and jerky I found it annoying. I think I would have been much more enamored with the film if I could have been one of his kids listening to my Dad tell me a bed time story.

Putting himself in a leading role was pretty ballsy. It's as if he didn't trust anyone else with his material. His presence was imposing, almost as if he were watching the lips of his actors to make sure they said everything right. A little to in your face for me.

WIthout Giamatti I would dismiss this as a failed attempt at a potentially interesting plot. He sells the movie when there is nothing to sell.

Everyone has an opinion and that's mine for what its worth.

(I liked The Village a lot)

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit