Lady In The Water

by gaiagirl 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

I just saw this wonderful film, directed by M.Night Shyamalan, who also directed "The Sixth Sense", "Unbreakable", "Signs", and "The Village". Basically, the film illustrates some philosophical points by means of a fairy tale. I don't think the storyline is meant to be taken as literally true, only the points which the story illustrates. The story is making the points that we are connected, in the sense that small things which we do can have large influences on the lives of others, and that ordinary people can individually and cooperatively do extraordinary things. The story involves the manager of some apartments, who spends his days solving problems for his tenants. He has a secret as to why he works at such a job, revealed later in the film. One day he almost drowns in the swimming pool, loses consciousness, and is saved by a water nymph who lives in a room which she made under the swimming pool. He learns that she has been sent to inspire someone, a writer, to finish his book, which will become very influential, and change the course of human history. But she doesn't know how to find the writer. And there are very bad creatures who wish to keep her from completing her mission, and prevent her from returning to her home and fulfilling her own destiny. In helping her complete her mission, ordinary people rise to greatness. The story is told in a slow but beautiful manner, showing how even the most mundane people have something to contribute. There were portions of the film which were so moving I could hardly catch my breath. LITW received poor reviews from many critics, and didn't do well at the box office. I decided that critics didn't like the film because of two things: Shyamalan cast himself in a significant role in the film which some might see as arrogant, although I didn't. Also, one of the most annoying, least helpful characters in the story is a film critic, and meets a very unfortunate ending. If I had to sum up this film, I would say it was beautiful to the point of being magical, intensely moving, and very bittersweet.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Gaiagirl,

Thank you for your excellent review of the movie. I had very mixed feelings about my first and, to date, only viewing of "Lady." It was at the local theater. It is a question of suspending disbelief, as it truly is a fairy tale within a fairy tale, IMHO. It is simple in premise but a bit unwieldly in its development. I found it very moving emotionally as well as hilarious with the Chinese mother and daughter banter. I was enthralled by the initial preview [trailer] at the theater, especially by the exquisite female vocalize. I was disappointed when that musical track was not anywhere in the film. Do you know what I'm referring to? Could it be included in the DVD?
    I definitely need to see it again!

Coco

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ok, you talked me into putting it in my NetFlix...

When the movie first came out and I saw the preview I immediately dismissed it as another stupidity bizarre movie that I didn't want to waste my time on. I referred to it as "The Lady in the Swimming Pool"

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

LITW grew out of a bedtime story which M. Night made up for his daughters. It was kind of a "continued tomorrow night" sort of epic which went on for some time. Eventually, he wrote it as a childrens book, beautifully illustrated by "Crash" McCreery. The book illustrates in a general way how the interconnectedness works and how people can do great things. The movie illustrates the same things, but for one specific case, the subject of the story.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i really enjoyed this film as well. shyamalan really knows how to tell a story imo. unbreakable is my fave shyamalan.

tetra

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for the tip gaiagirl. I'll see it right after Pan's Labyrinth.

Nvr

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

I also liked it as well. In fact I liked it so much that I bought the movie.

Leslie

• agapa37
    agapa37

If I had to sum up this film, I would say it was beautiful to the point of being magical, intensely moving, and very bittersweet. "Cue the violins!"
    Siskel and Ebert would be proud of such a comment! As for me I enjoyed it. Especially the dude who only worked out one side of his body. That cracked me up!

• pratt1
    pratt1

I really liked this movie as well. It didn't get good reviews but I would still recommend it. I agree with Terapod that his best film is "Unbreakable".

• onesong
    onesong

I loved this movie! Once again M. Night shows his mastery of metaphor. You could go deeper and deeper about the significance of the many elements in this story.

Some of the symbolism : the main character has had a tragedy in his life and needs to heal, this brings forth the character aptly named "Story" who is the genesis of everything. Involved in his healing is the collection of people representing various parts of a personal psyche.

A man with no secrets = being totally honest with yourself

A man whose opinion is highly respected = the rational, wise part of us ( whose opinion went from fear-based to faith )

A guild of women = having to do with feminine nurturing and healing

The always present creature = fear

The creatures at the end that destroy fear = divine laws of the universe

The film critic = ego-based, negative thinking that ultimately gets overtaken by fear

Anyway, there are some of my interpretations, I'd be curious to hear others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit