The Watchtower justification for now allowing CIVILIAN SERVICE.

by jwfacts 25 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• deeskis
    deeskis
    Brother Walstrom, you can't ever tell anybody what we are about to discuss. The Society avoids direct confrontations with the Federal government at all costs. This is to be a matter of "personal conscience". You can't ever tell anybody that we or the Society has advised you or persuaded you in any way to make your decision. Understand?"

Thanks for sharing that with us Terry, It STINKS. My dad doesn't like to talk about that time.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Deeski's, your father can be proud of standing up for his conscience as doing prison time is not easy and shows great conviction. What is sad is that he believes it was for his conscience, when in reality it was for the imposed conscience of the WTS. Prior to the WTS ruling that it was wrong, Bible Students consciences had no trouble allowing them to do civilian service, and even going to war, provided they did not kill.

• jeanV
    jeanV

I was wondering if someone could find an article with the following wording:

“Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly
    In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit. For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of blood fractions or organ transplant. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously accept them.

Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer (by maybe losing his child or one of his close relatives) for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly (= die as martyrs) and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty.”

As some of you mentioned it what gets me mad is the lack of apology (and yet there are articles reminding us of the importance of saying "I am sorry" when we make a mistake....).

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I love how they suggest in the first paragraph that people made these decisions in the past purely because of their own conscience, but then they talk about "consequences" in the very next sentence!

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

not meaning to get off topic but it was this kind of reasoning that really pissed me off after the generation change and how much pressure they put on us as teenagers not to pursue higher education back in the 80s in which they made you feel like you were evil if you even considered it. It was this in the WT back then that got me fuming: WT 8-15-97 Living for Today or for an Eternal Future? 17 Today’s watchman class has likewise had to clarify its views from time to time. Can anyone doubt, though, that Jehovah has blessed the ‘faithful slave’? Besides, viewed in context, are not most of the adjustments that have occurred relatively small? Our basic understanding of the Bible has not changed. Our conviction that we are living in the last days is stronger than ever! 18 The world may say, ‘Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die,’ but this must not be our attitude. Why strive in vain for what pleasures you can get out of life now when you can work for an eternal future? That hope, whether of immortal life in heaven or of everlasting life on earth, is no dream, no fantasy. It is a reality promised by the God “who cannot lie.” (Titus 1:2) The evidence is overwhelming that the realization of our hope is near at hand! “The time left is reduced.”—1 Corinthians 7:29. 19 True, this system has already lasted longer than many thought it would. A few may now feel that had they known this before, they might not have made certain sacrifices. But one should not regret having done so. After all, making sacrifices is a fundamental part of being a Christian. Christians ‘disown themselves.’ (Matthew 16:24) Never should we feel that our efforts to please God have been in vain. Jesus promised: “No one has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for my sake and for the sake of the good news who will not get a hundredfold now . . . and in the coming system of things everlasting life.” (Mark 10:29, 30) A thousand years from now, how significant will your job, house, or bank account seem? Still, the sacrifices you have made for Jehovah will be meaningful a million years from now—a billion years from now! “For God is not unrighteous so as to forget your work.”—Hebrews 6:10.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

sorry for the poor formatting, Im using Firefox browser and it completely different than MS Explorer!! LRG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit