What was your greatest motivation......

by onlycurious 15 Replies latest jw friends

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

....to get out of bed to do massive hrs of service each month?

• mama1119
    mama1119

My Mom bribed us with money. Not kidding.

• snowangel
    snowangel

My mother treated me like garbage for days afterwards if I didn't. I slept-in every so often, but it was just easier to keep her happy.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Guilt Guilt Guilt

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

If I know there will be a very hot sister that will be in service, I will get up!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Guilt Guilt Guilt

Amen sister!

Nvr

• Honesty
    Honesty

I thought I was gonna earn the FREE GIFT of salvation.

Little did I realise that you can't earn a FREE GIFT nor will the Giftgiver ever take it back if you accept it.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Honesty,

You hit the nail dead center! I can see we are like-minded.

• blondie
    blondie

I pioneered when we had to put in 83 hours a month. I just had a good schedule and focused on helping people. Now I put in 40 hours a week at my secular job, 160 plus hours a month, twice as much. I think if you truly thought that you were helping people it wasn't too bad. I never spent more than 4 hours a day and certainly not much of it was d2d, the hardest part of the whole process.

Now if you were pioneering because

1) Your parents said you had to or had to move out

2) You lived rent free and had a car provided by your parents if you did.

3) No single brothers in your area would date a sister who wasn't a regular pioneer.

4) You had to pioneer to get into Bethel.

5) It was the Vietnam area where male JWs could be subject to the draft if they were not regular pioneers.

6) You wanted to be a MS or an elder and the BOE would not consider you unless you had pioneered.

7) Your husband wanted to be a MS or an elder and the BOE would not consider him if his wife had not pioneered.

Then pioneering would not be very "fun."

Blondie

• restrangled
    restrangled

Saturday morning service after a week at school was riddled with guilt, dread, and disgust.

The highschool I went to had two shifts morning and afternoon. I had the morning shift so started school at 6:30 am catching the bus at 5:45 am. Saturday was the only day to sleep in. (We had 9:00 am meetings on Sunday). I could always hear my mom starting her curler routine for her hair and I would get filled with angst at 5:00 am on Saturdays as I lay tossing and turning waiting for the "Time to get ready for service" announcement. We had to get in our 10 hours a month, and that meant 2 and 1/2 hours every Saturday.

I had no choice and the only saving grace was when my dad went out once a month on a Saturday. We knew he was driving, and that's mostly what happened. He liked doing back calls, .....at the oppisite ends of the assigned territory. Afterwards he would take us to McDonalds........

This brings back memories I thought I had left behind. Just typing this out brings back that sickening feeling. To this day, no matter how tired I am, I wake up early and feel guilt laying in bed past 7:00 which was considered very late in our house.

During summer vacations it was assumed I would pioneer at least 1 month.......the pressure was incredible.

I was offered a car to pioneer after high school. I opted to move out.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit