My computer blew up.... Literally!!! BANG!!! :S

by Elsewhere 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I needed to reboot so I did a normal shutdown. No big deal.

It shutdown and started to come back up but never got past the POST. So I rebooted again and got the same thing... I opened it up to see what was going on and noticed there was a lot of dust collected on the CPU cooling fan and fins. It obviously needed to be cleaned so I go my lovely wet-dry vacuum out and reversed it so it would blow instead of suck. (If any of the ladies don't know why I called it "lovely" its because you are female don't get the "manly rush" men experience when operating a powerful piece of equipment. *Grunt* *Grunt* *Grunt* )

Anyway... I started blowing all of the dust out, which caused the CPU fan to spin faster and faster until it started to sound like a siren. "Hot damn! I've got a great wet-dry vac", I was thinking to myself.

Then it happened... a bright flash of light accompanied by a very loud BANG!!!

It sounded like a capacitor exploded, so I looked around the motherboard to find the remains of an exploded capacitor, but I didn't see it. It must have been in the power supply.

It's obvious that my #1 mistake was leaving the computer on while I blew the dust out of it. I suspect I had the fan spinning so quickly that it created a large amount of current going backwards. Basically it was acting like a little electric generator, only it was pushing the electricity against the power supply instead of with the power supply. The poor thing could only take so much before it blew.

• Jourles
    Jourles

It's obvious that my #1 mistake was leaving the computer on while I blew the dust out of it.

It's nice to see that you recognized the #1 mistake when cracking open your case. You should always turn off the power(and unplug the A/C cable) no matter what simple task you may be setting out to do. **where's that hand smacking the forehead icon??**

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

That"s what you get for all the "grunting......." and "man tools"!!! I had this flash of "Tim-the-tool-man" pulling one of his stunts flashing thru my head!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

So where are all the files I sent you?

You heartless bastard!

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

It stinks hey? I would rather know what I did to cause the problem, rather than the thing just quit....and have no clue (I think lol)

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

WTF ......you left it on ....you are Tim are'nt you ,I used to love your show. If your lucky you might just have blown the fan and PSU ,But I don't like you're chances of having an undamaged hard drive.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My computer once went Bang! with flash when I was using JWD - Thought it was divine retribution for my sins, but the man in the shop muttered somethin' about the cooling fan and charged me bundle to fix it.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

your car, then your computer...bad karma?

lisa

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

Ditto, Lisa.

Maybe you need a technology-free weekend, else. Or become Amish.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Oops.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit