JW's and the internet

by *jeremiah* 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Growing up as a JW in the 70's and 80's we didn't have the influence of the internet. I, of course, believed I was in "the truth" and never heard anything (from the outside) that negative about our JW religion. Of course, now and again, we had some angry people at the door, but other than that I can't recall very many outside negative criticisms.

Now, however, times are different. In this information age,...a JW can type in the words JW, jehovah's witness, WTS, etc, into Google and some 1,190,000 sites emerge. After scrolling through a handful of pages its easy to see that, except for wt.org, the greater majority of websites are anti or very critical of the JW religion.

Hypothetical- [Let's say I'm thinking about buying into a franchise. I decide to google the business name to see what pops up on the internet. The first website that appears is the business website and they really appear to look polished and professional and then all the other sites are completely critical of this business franchise. Of course this is going to raise huge red flags and it should cause me to look into things more diligently so that I'm not scammed.]

The internet has to be having a huge impact. Each and every JW who has the internet and googled "JW" has to either believe that they are under heavy persecution or red flags must be appearing in their minds about their own religion.

I've personally experienced the JW mind control,...but I can't help but think (if I was still in) I would wonder why all of these thousands of websites are so critical of us. I think I would have looked into it.

Why doesn't my brothers? Why doesn't my mom? They are all internet savvy and have probably googled "JW" before. I'm sure that they've probably even looked at many JW critical websites too.

Yet, year after year goes by and they are still in. Even with the mind control, I just don't understand how they can keep on keeping in that religion. I don't get it.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I wish I understood that too. When I first realized all this info was out here...I sent my non-baptised step-dad some links...and he said they were full of hatred....and if you want to know about something (a religion) ...you need to go to the source....So I think maybe they choose to ignore these things.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I was a believer I searched for the JWs in Google, but I didn't read the sites right away. It's not so much that I thought demons would enter my mind. I just had a wrenching gut feeling that nothing would ever be the same again. I was right.

I think someone must already be somewhat dissatisfied with the JWs in order to start searching the internet.

W

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

*jeremiah*:
    I used to feel the same way. I used to think that the information out there was to critical and that it could do well for a change.

But that was only a phase for me. I just sort through the sites and decide what I think is total junk and what is worth something. Eventually I let go of being so uptight about it all.

Don't forget that JWs are actively looking for people to hate them. I have been quite convinced that even if these sites took a milder approach the response would be the same. It has as much to do with the person and where they are in their life as it does to do with the information.

There is no way you can present information to a JW who isn't ready for it and get results. Such people will allways call foul.

• grey matters
    grey matters
    if you want to know about something (a religion) ...you need to go to the source....

That's great reasoning. So if I want to know the truth about heroin, should I go to a drug dealer, because he is the source of it?

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

Aint it though?!? Satan has BLINDED HIS mind!

• carla
    carla
    if you want to know about something (a religion) ...you need to go to the source....

I don't need to stand in a gas chamber to know it is not a place I don't want to be, I can read how it affects you, I can read what our soldiers who have to train in one have to say, I can read of those who have died in them.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Da gubberning boddie sez we gotz ta keep da lemmingzsheepz brainwashed memberz off da internetz

The rank and file are scared of losing their lives at Armageddon if they learn the truth about da truf.

So they choose to keep drinking the WTBTS kool-aid, instead of the pure water that Christ taught in the Bible.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

The inter-net with all the information of the WTS. exposes them as a lying corrupt organization that it is, I'm hoping it chops these power sluts right at the knees,

maybe it might even bring down their powerful kingdom after all but I doubt it.

To show how corrupt a group of people they are back in the late eighties they denounced and cautioned the use of computers, they actually quoted a scripture saying that he thats creates a

tower for himself does so without gods approval. Then after a few years guess who has their own web site up selling and marketing their publications, obvious hypocrisy is it not.

That had to be the most stupid and ignorant thing I've ever read in a Awake magazine to date, and I was born and raised a jw.

Old ignorant uneducated men with the power of God in their hands is never a good thing for humanity and never will be.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

THe internet is so evil that as congregation account servant I have been given instructions on giving the society their monthly contributions........... through the internet!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit