the credit rank and file are prepared to give to them...

by chelsea 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• chelsea
    chelsea

My mother once found a man's wallet and returned it to him. She said "I am a Jehovah's Witness and we are honest people, that's why i am returning this to you." When i told her that i would return his wallet also and i am the ANTITHESIS of a Jehovah's Witness, and that i was disgusted that she would give them credit for her own decent nature, she just carried on about how he would be more likely to listen next time they knocked at his door... I found it repulsive that an act of nothing more than decent behaviour (where one treats another as they would like to be treated) was made out to be something exceptional... and that my mother used the occasion to laud the WTBTS... good grief!!!!!!!!! Does anyone have stories like this?????

• RubyStevens
    RubyStevens

It sounds like those little bites they would have in publications, that I do believe a banished Bethel member admited were greatly embroidered if not outright fabricated, about a JW doing something that is a simple act of human decency, making a production of saying they're a JW, and then the person reacting in disbelief that they had heard so many bad things about the JWs, and this had completely opened their eyes. The more rich ones ended with the person starting a bible study with that JW.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I used to do the same thing -- do something nice for somebody, then find some way to cram the fact that I was a JW into it. It was always awkward, and I would imagine left the person thinking, "Oh, so you weren't being a nice guy, you were just taking the opportunity to advertise your little sect."

Now I can be a nice guy just for the hell of it! :-) (And if I'm an ass, THEN I say I'm a JW!!)

Dave

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

I was renting a movie at a rental store once, and there was this very professional, and courteous African American woman that worked for the store who was handling the transaction for the woman in front of me. As the woman if front of me turned to leave, she asked the cashier if she was a Jehovahs Witness. The shocked employee asked "Why would you say THAT"? The women replied, because you seem so nice. The cashier quickly replied, "no I'm not"!

The cashier stood there with her mouth open...after the women left the store, she turned to me and said "What in God's name would make THOSE people think that they have the exclusive on nice people." She just shook her head and said, "I thought I'd heard it all... mercy me."

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Now I can be a nice guy just for the hell of it! :-) (And if I'm an ass, THEN I say I'm a JW!!)

Dave

You kill me dude!

LMAO,

Nvr

• Mary
    Mary
    Does anyone have stories like this?????

I do. One local woman found $40,000 in small bills a few weeks ago. She returned it to the bank. Guess what? She wasn't a Witness (gasp!)

Here's a few pat-on-the-back experiences the WTS likes to give itself credit for just to uh, prove that they're the only honest people on the face of the earth:

w 969/1p. 32"Don’t ThrowThemOut!"***

According to the newspaper, two Witnesses introduced themselves to the man with the words: "Today is a good day for you. We are Jehovah’s Witnesses, and we have something valuable to give you." At that, the ill-disposed businessman shut the door, not allowing them to finish.

If the man had listened, he would have learned that the Witnesses had gone to his home to return his wallet, which they found on a park bench. So the Witnesses were able to do no more than take the wallet with its contents to the nearest police station. The following day, the police returned it to its rightful owner.

"If someone else had been in the shoes of the two unfortunate [Witnesses]," said Il Gazzettino di Treviso, "he would probably have . . . kept the wallet’s considerable contents. But not Jehovah’s Witnesses, who must be completely honest."

g 03 1/22p.15 What’s Wrong WithCheating?***

Yuji, quoted earlier, is one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. He explains what he does when other classmates put pressure on him to help them cheat: "First thing—I just let them know I’m a Witness," he says. "That’s helped me a lot because they know Jehovah’s Witnesses are honest people. If someone asks me to give him an answer during a test, I just say no. Then later on I can explain why I don’t do that."

g 999/22 p. 31MoreValuableThanMoney***

Anna and her daughter Tanya stopped at a yard sale and bought a white purse to hold Tanya’s Bible. When they arrived home, Tanya opened a zipper inside the purse and was astonished to find $1,000 in bills. Immediately, mother and daughter returned to the yard sale and handed the money to the lady who had sold them the purse. Apparently, the seldom-used purse had belonged to her recently deceased mother, who suffered from Alzheimer’s disease, and it had not been closely examined before being sold. Extremely grateful, the lady remarked: "It restores my faith in people . . . It’s nice to know there are honest people out there."

A front-page article about the incident in the local newspaper quoted Anna as saying: "As Jehovah’s Witnesses, we couldn’t consider anything else. We have a Bible-based [conscience]. We also want to teach Tanya what’s right." For Tanya, the new white purse will be a special reminder of a lesson in honesty.

g 93 8/8pp. 9-10ThePerfectMoralGuide ***

One Witness in Brooklyn, New York, found a bag containing $25,000 lying in the street. During a minor accident, it had fallen unnoticed from an armored car. Even though the money was used bills in small denominations—hence impossible to trace—he turned the money over to the police. His fellow workers chided him for his decision. Surprisingly, the police ridiculed him for his honesty. But this Christian man explains: "I try to uphold the teachings of the Bible in my daily life." The Bible says at Hebrews 13:18: "Carry on prayer for us, for we trust we have an honest conscience, as we wish to conduct ourselves honestly in all things."

g 81 3/8p. 15 Honesty IsAppreciatedbyOthers***

• A congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Carlsbad, New Mexico, received this letter from an appreciative woman:

"Yesterday about 6:15 p.m. on a return trip from El Paso we stopped at the highway rest stop near Guadalupe Peak and I inadvertently left my handbag. It included credit cards, cash, and other valuables. Members of your congregation, Mr. and Mrs. B ___ , found the purse and brought it to Carlsbad. They attempted to contact us but we were apparently still at the police station reporting the loss. They finally reached us and they would take no reward for their trouble.

"We will therefore appreciate it if you would accept the enclosed check for $50.00, . . . in gratitude for their honesty.

g 81 3/8 p. 15Honesty IsAppreciated byOthers***

Jehovah’s Witnesses in Athens, Greece, have built up such a reputation for honesty that the following ad was published in one of the leading newspapers in Athens:

"WANTED: Oil-burner technicians for a permanent job. . . . Preferred are Jehovah’s Witnesses."

g 81 3/8p.15Honesty Is AppreciatedbyOthers***

In Orange, Massachusetts, a 12-year-old boy whose mother is a Witness found $10 (U.S.) in school and turned it in to the principal’s office, despite being ridiculed by his schoolmates. As a result, the principal wrote a letter to his parents that said:

"Your son Michael has shown a high level of honesty. He found a ten dollar bill on the school’s playground and brought it to the office. I am sure you are proud of the fact that he did not allow himself to be tempted.

g 81 12/8 p. 16LoyalPeople—Where CanTheyBe Found?***

THERE were about 20,000 people at the racetrack that day. I was standing near a sign that read "Lost and Found" when I noticed an elderly woman approaching. She obviously was upset about something. I learned that she had lost a bag in which she had put her keys, her wallet and $116 (U.S.). She had tried to retrace her steps, hoping to find the bag. But when that failed, someone suggested she go to "Lost and Found." Had someone found the bag? If so, would he turn it in?

Well, you can just imagine the look on her face when the man in charge handed her the bag, with the keys, the wallet and the money—all of it—inside! She excitedly thanked him over and over again.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

narcissism, pure and simple, pretending to be holiness

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

I have a freind who is always talking about how wicked the world is and how immoral worldly people are. You know the type, always saying why worldly folks dont just have one continuous orgy. I realized that this is not him talking its the borg. Think of what we are told all of our lives. The worst witness is better than the best worldly person. Witnesses are supremely honest trustworthy and forthright, while worldly people cant be trusted to brush their teeth.

You know what the really funny thing is tho? This same person I speak of has no qualms about cheating and taking advantage of worldly people.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    Does anyone have stories like this?????

Yeah...actually. I was with another sister out in service one time when we noticed the car turning onto the highway in front of us had a purse on top that fell off onto the road when the car took its turn. We stopped and grabbed the purse (this happened in our territory) and used the address info inside to return the purse and give said JW spiel. Even turned down a $20.00 reward/ "donation," saying, "Next time, just listen to JW's when they come to your door.

I look at that now...and though I still think she shouldn't have to 'pay' twenty dollars to get her purse back intact...I do agree with what you're saying here that that was decency on my own part and on the part of many NON-JW's as well that allowed the purse to be brought back to her. The WTS didn't deserve 'credit' for that. It wasn't them who taught me honesty and compassion. (And, of course, I think the WTS is a crock with its teachings now, so...of course, I regret pointing her attention to them, whether she did anything with it later or not).

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Back when I was a good dub, I believed all that JW's were so much more honest than anyone else--after all that's what we're told.

One day I got home from the grocery store when the phone rang. The store manager said I should come pick up my purse. I left it in the cart in the parking lot. I rushed back to the store, picked up my purse, and asked the manager for the name of the person who retrieved my purse. I would like to give a reward. He responded, "Oh, we didn't ask, this happens two or three times a day." I thought to myself, there must be a lot of witnesses hanging around that parking lot. That's when it started to dawn on me that there are plenty of honest people in the world.

Back in the late 60's, 4 young teen-aged boys showed up at our door. Clyde answered and they handed him a wallet with a $50 bill (that's when $50 could easily buy a weeks' worth of groceries). The wallet was mine, it had fallen out of my purse at the store. My husband pulled out four $5 bills and handed one to each of the boys. A few days later an article appeared in the local paper about how these boys found the wallet, thought about having a party but decided to do the honest thing instead, and how they were rewarded for it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit