Pathetic Speakers

by Alpaca 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

This is great. I was suffering through an interminably long Sunday p.m. Public Talk (we flip-flopped w/ the other cong--at least Sunday a.m. was a little more tolerable because there was still some of the day left to do something). The speaker was talking about "physical training being beneficial for a little" and how some exercise was necessary. This guy probably cut grass for a living and he definitely had only a marginal command of language. He warned the congregation that a "sedimentary" instead of "sedentary" lifestyle was probably not a good way to live. Duhhhhhhh......sedimentary is about as inactive as you can get. This is even funnier for me because, after getting out of that mess, I am closing in on a masters degree in geology. One of the interesting things about our "49,000 year old earth" is that most of the surficial bedrock on the planet is sedimentary. I Love It. Morons.

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Welcome to the board! I enjoyed your post.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Yes- reminds me of the talk on the Galapagos "Turtle".

I actually counseled the speaker after his public talk about the difference between a turtle and a tortoise, to his chagrin.

BA- Man, am I glad I left!

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

hahaha - thanks for the laugh!!

as an aside, it's interesting to hear that exercise is currently allowed/encouraged, though I must say that's a switch from my experience. when I was in, the guilt trips, err, talks from the platform on that subject (using the same scripture as a basis LOL) were about not workout a half an hour to an hour a day because that time would be better used in 15-30 hours of field service each month (and bodily training is only beneficial for a little whereas godly devotion is beneficial for a lot...in conjunction with scripture about putting the kingdom FIRST). Yeesh. What a destructive use of platform power.

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Landscapers are hawt, I dunno why the insult. :)

I have a (non-jw) friend with two degrees that perpetually gets her merds wixed up like dat guy, it's one of her most enjoyable traits and keeps her human like the rest of us. (Of course, it's fun cuz since we're friendly, she laughs with us when we poke fun!)

No rest for the critics!!! ;)

heheheh

• proplog2
    proplog2

Some people are just plain "igneous". They'll never learn.

• Confession
    Confession

It's also true that the path out of the WTS mind cult is a "metamorphic" experience.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Way to break into the board.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Welcome to the board!!

I remember some pathetic speaker too. One time we had a guest speaker who could not speak proper Dutch, he had a horrible, horrible accent. Halfway through the meeting my mum leans over to me and whispers (loud enough for thee rows to hear her) "If you ever talk like that, I will kill you" ... lol

• Borgia
    Borgia

Alpaca,

Welcome and yes, nice entry story!

Cheers

Borgia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit