Nearly Middle Aged Woman Asks: Should I watch the Sopranos?

by Crumpet 35 Replies latest social entertainment

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Okay last night The Sopranos got voted the best drama ever to be shown on tv. I have never watched a single episode, but before I commit myself to starting from season 1 and working my way through to season 6 or whatever it is up to can anyone here tell me what is good about it. What are its strengths?

To give you an idea of dramas I have recently enjoyed and rate highly I love Deadwood and have watched all three series, Carnivale and the L Word.

(and an aside is it only HBO that can make decent drama??)

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    I love Deadwood and have watched all three series, Carnivale and the L Word.

I haven't seen any of those but I have seen all 'The Soprano's' and I have to say you should definitely watch all 6 seasons (I have them all on DVD and have watched them over and over again). Also I'm highly addicted to 'Big Love'- which is a great show also, I've asked myself the same question about HBO, it seems they come up with some excellent ones for sure. Also since when is 31 middle aged...lol

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The Soprano`s Rock!..Right from the opening song..Probably the best series I`ve ever seen..Mafia,Sex,Violence.......Woke up this morning/got yourself a gun/your mamma always said you`d be the chosen one/Your one in a million/you got that shotgun shine/woke up this morning with a blue moon in your eyes...OUTLAW

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    (and an aside is it only HBO that can make decent drama??)

I feel the same. They just have the best, don't they!

Crumpet, I vote to definately watch the Sopranos. I'm confident you'll enjoy the show very much.

(And I'm not just saying this because I'm from New Jersey!)

• Jourles
    Jourles

If you liked Deadwood and Carnivale, I don't know how you missed out on watching The Sopranos. Get them on DVD for the full effect. The new A&E versions are quite literally watered down. But they don't edit out the word "shit."

If you generally like the HBO shows, have you seen any of the Curb Your Enthusiasm's? Hillarious. I've got all of those on DVD.

• Scully
    Scully

The show has never interested me in the least. I recently tried to watch an episode when A&E started airing it - I found it too soap-opera-ish for my liking.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    have you seen any of the Curb Your Enthusiasm's? Hillarious

OMG...I LOVE this show!

• restrangled
    restrangled

What I always liked about The Sopranos is that it delves into the quirks of all of the characters in their normal lives. It is centered around the mob, but it is 24/7 so you see their house in the suburbs and the aingst between husbands and wifes and trouble with the kids growing up.

The violence isn't what the show is about. It's about the characters that you never quite like, but nontheless feel an interest in. You should watch just for Edie Flaco's character alone (Tony Sopranos) wife.

I'm glad to hear that other sick and twisted minds enjoyed Carnivale as much as I did.

r's hubby

• free2think
    free2think

crumpet who is the nearly middle aged woman??? lol

• tim hooper
    tim hooper

Crumples,

You have to watch this!

So much more than just a gangster soap. The characters are, without exception, duplicitious and flawed, but are beautifully portrayed. Yes, there is violence, sexism, bad language, drugs etc. but this all adds to the fun!

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUT07eZoXPw

tim

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit