Acts 5:42 (from house to house) OR (in private homes)

by rassillon 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Q. Bert
    Q. Bert

Propaganda is not necessarily a negative term. I find the Kingdom Hall a warm atmosphere myself. Be that as it may, a regular meeting attender, while hearing synoptic views while at the Kingdom Hall, will certainly be exposed to divergent views in much of the day-to-day interaction with others. This allows for conversation, with various opinions being expressed. Understanding is gained in both settings, unlike the tensions experienced in a police state such as Nazi Germany.

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

"Propaganda is not necessarily a negative term". -priceless!

"Questions are part of the schedule." - As are the answers. Make sure to use a great big highlighter so your bookstudy conductor can see that you Studied underlined your Watchtower.

"So there is definitely a contrast maintained in the application of the Apostle Paul's words, whether when written, or even now." - Good point Q. Paul is referrring to the efforts he extended to his audience whether they were in public or private settings. Contrast this with the JW view that disregards the context entirely, attempting to make a point not addressed by the author.

• Q. Bert
    Q. Bert

You could be confusing 2 completely different English usages of the word "public": where the public are allowed, versus where the public normally are.

A dictionary has the following definitions to the word "propaganda", none of which are necessary negative.

Propaganda: (1) committee of cardinals in charge of foreign missions; (2) association, organized scheme, for propagation of a doctrine or practice; doctrines; information, etc. thus propagated; efforts, schemes, principles, of propagation.

Propagate: (1) multiply specimens of (plant, animal, disease, etc.) by natural process from parent stock; (of a plant, etc.) reproduce (itself, or absolutely); (2) hand down (quality, etc.) from one generation to another; (3) disseminate, diffuse (statement, belief, practice); (4) extend the operation of, transmit (vibration, earthquake, etc.)

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

While propaganda as a word does not have a necessarily negative meaning (i.e denotation), its connotation is without any doubt negative.

As I encouraged you, please consider a reputable encyclopedia on the difference between propaganda and education. I think you will find that the two both carry a meaning of propogation of ides, but the method of propogation is what makes the distinction between education and propaganda.

Propaganda seeks to propogate ideas without engaging the higher cognitive functions of the brain. Education seeks to propagate ideas stimulating the higher cognitive functions of the brain. Propaganda can help people make arguably good choices but cannot help them to do so for sound reasons.

More to the point, the WTS directly denies that they use propaganda.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Q. Bert
    Q. Bert

Quoting from the TNIV at 2 Tim 2:14: Keep reminding God's people of these things. Warn them before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value, and only ruins those who listen.

• Q. Bert
    Q. Bert

Just because the Nazis had a "Ministry of Public Enlightenment and Propaganda", doesn't have to mean anything to me. The Nazis are defunct, while JWs are stronger then ever. I'll continue to stimulate the higher cognitive parts of my brain, even at the nearest Kingdom Hall and from their literature, including the NWT.

Connotations of the term propaganda. As the Encyclopædia Britannica begins this section, it points out, "[t]he word propaganda itself, as used in recent centuries, apparently derives from the title and work of the Congregatio de Propaganda Fide (Congregation for Propaganda of the Faith), an organization of Roman Catholic cardinals founded in 1622 to carry on missionary work. To many Roman Catholics the word [propaganda] may therefore have, at least in missionary or ecclesiastical terms, a higly respectable connotation" before turning to the Nazis and Marxists and other false advertisers hijacking the word to their own demonstrably-evil ends.

If one has a negative perspective, that one is entitled to a negative connotation. If Q. Bert comes along with a positive perspective, Q. Bert is entitled to express thoughts with an exclusively positive connotation. We choose and use our words according to who we are and who we slave for. I worship the God of Love and Joy, so I choose to be joyful, and respect those who still view "propaganda" as a positive word. — compare Galatians 5:22-26.

— I am Q. Bert, after all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit