Acts 5:42 (from house to house) OR (in private homes)

by rassillon 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rassillon
    rassillon

***I believe I have the correct scripture here but if I don't please correct me

==================================================================

I have thought a great deal on this topic since I first read it in one of Ray Franz books ISOCF.

He had a section that dealt with the Greek term translated "house to house" and compared it to other scriptures which contained the same Greek phrase and showed that it was likely that it should be translated "in private homes".

Now I know that some will make the point that "house to house" is a valid translation and from what I know (which is very little) cannot disagree.

What I can say though is that from my knowledge about life in this period and this area of the world and from my traveling to ruins of ancient citys I would have to agree with Franz that the phrase "in private homes" makes more sense because preaching from "house to house/door to door" at that time period would have been extreemely ineffective. Preaching in a public square and then returning with interested ones to their "private homes" for further discussion would make more sense if one was to be effective.

From those with a knowledge of the time/place/culture that this scripture applies to, do you agree with me? Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

Thanks for your input.

-r

• badboy
    badboy

More sense than FRED FRANZ idea that it mean IN FRONT DOOR OUT BACK DOOR.

• pixel
    pixel

Hello there, This is part of an essay that I fount at www.jwfacts.com about preaching. I hope I am not violating any copyright thing. Here is goes: Where to Preach When the Watchtower claims they are the only group that preach what is really meant is that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only people that preach the Watchtower interpretation of God’s Kingdom, principally from “house to house”. Does God Care? (2001) p.30 “Since the last days began in 1914, Jehovah’s Witnesses have preached the good news of God’s Kingdom throughout the world in the manner ordered by Jesus, namely, at the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 12; Acts 20:20) Millions of Witnesses call on people in every nation to talk to them about the new world. This has led to your receiving this brochure, as the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses includes printing and distributing billions of pieces of literature about God’s Kingdom. Do you know of anyone else who preaches about God’s Kingdom from house to house throughout the world? And Mark 13:10 shows that this preaching and teaching work must be done “first,” before the end comes.” The Watchtower places great emphasis on the house to house ministry, yet Mark 13:10 simply says “Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first.” It does not state how this is to be done. Though the house to house work is an acceptable way to preach, it is never indicated scripturally as a sign of who God’s followers would be. In fact, house to house is not prescribed as the way to preach. A close look at the scriptures that the Watchtower uses to specify house to house preaching is enlightening. The only time that the term ‘house to house’ is used in regards to preaching to unbelievers was when Jesus sent out the 70 disciples. On this occasion Jesus plainly stated not to go house to house. Luke 10:1-7 “After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. … 5 Wherever YOU enter into a house say first, ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, YOUR peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will turn back to YOU. 7 So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house. (Ek oikia eis oikia)” The Watchtower quotes two other scriptures from Acts to indicate a person should preach house to house. Watchtower 1991 January 15 p.11 The principal way in which that work would be done became evident immediately after the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. “Every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.” (Acts 5:42) Some 20 years later, the apostle Paul was engaging in the house-to-house ministry, for he reminded Christian elders from the city of Ephesus: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”—Acts 20:20. The Greek used at Acts 5:42 and Acts 20:20 is not Ek oikia eis oikia, but rather Kata oikos. For this reason bible translations usually render this “in every house”, “at home” or “in their homes”. Whilst the New World Translation of Acts 20:20 uses the phrase “house to house” the footnote acknowledges that the Greek word means “in private houses”. At Acts 20:20 Paul is not discussing preaching to unbelievers but rather teaching those who already were Christians. He says “while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and from house to house.” A more accurate way to understand these scriptures in Acts is “we were teaching you at your homes” similar to the way Witnesses hold congregation book studies. How to preach is discussed in Matthew 10:5-12: “5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, giving them these orders: “Do not go off into the road of the nations, and do not enter into a Sa·mar'i·tan city; 6 but, instead, go continually to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 As YOU go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’ 8 Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses, 10 or a food pouch for the trip, or two undergarments, or sandals or a staff; for the worker deserves his food. 11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. 12 When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household;” Though used as a key reference to justifying the door to door ministry the text at Matthew 10 is disregarded by Witnesses in its entirety. The Watchtower message focuses largely on the earthly organization and earthly paradise rather than the heavenly aspect of the kingdom. Miracles such as faith healing are not practiced. Rather than giving free, donations are requested to cover the cost of the literature and prior to the change of tax status were actively sold. Finally, the disciples did not go house to house, they searched out a single place to stay. Pix.

• pixel
    pixel

Hello there,

This is part of an essay that I fount at www.jwfacts.com about preaching. I hope I am not violating any copyright thing. Here is goes:

<strong>Where to Preach</strong>

When the Watchtower claims they are the only group that preach what is really meant is that Jehovah's Witnesses are the only people that preach the Watchtower interpretation of God’s Kingdom, principally from “house to house”.

Does God Care? (2001) p.30
    “Since the last days began in 1914, Jehovah’s Witnesses have preached the good news of God’s Kingdom throughout the world in the manner ordered by Jesus, namely, at the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 12; Acts 20:20) Millions of Witnesses call on people in every nation to talk to them about the new world. This has led to your receiving this brochure, as the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses includes printing and distributing billions of pieces of literature about God’s Kingdom. Do you know of anyone else who preaches about God’s Kingdom from house to house throughout the world? And Mark 13:10 shows that this preaching and teaching work must be done “first,” before the end comes.”

The Watchtower places great emphasis on the house to house ministry, yet Mark 13:10 simply says “Also, in all the nations the good news has to be preached first.” It does not state how this is to be done.

Though the house to house work is an acceptable way to preach, it is never indicated scripturally as a sign of who God’s followers would be. In fact, house to house is not prescribed as the way to preach. A close look at the scriptures that the Watchtower uses to specify house to house preaching is enlightening.

The only time that the term ‘house to house’ is used in regards to preaching to unbelievers was when Jesus sent out the 70 disciples. On this occasion Jesus plainly stated not to go house to house.

Luke 10:1-7
    “After these things the Lord designated seventy others and sent them forth by twos in advance of him into every city and place to which he himself was going to come. … 5 Wherever YOU enter into a house say first, ‘May this house have peace.’ 6 And if a friend of peace is there, YOUR peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will turn back to YOU. 7 So stay in that house, eating and drinking the things they provide, for the worker is worthy of his wages. Do not be transferring from house to house. (Ek oikia eis oikia)”

The Watchtower quotes two other scriptures from Acts to indicate a person should preach house to house.

Watchtower 1991 January 15 p.11
    The principal way in which that work would be done became evident immediately after the day of Pentecost 33 C.E. “Every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.” (Acts 5:42) Some 20 years later, the apostle Paul was engaging in the house-to-house ministry, for he reminded Christian elders from the city of Ephesus: “I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.”—Acts 20:20.

The Greek used at Acts 5:42 and Acts 20:20 is not Ek oikia eis oikia, but rather Kata oikos. For this reason bible translations usually render this “in every house”, “at home” or “in their homes”. Whilst the New World Translation of Acts 20:20 uses the phrase “house to house” the footnote acknowledges that the Greek word means “in private houses”.

At Acts 20:20 Paul is not discussing preaching to unbelievers but rather teaching those who already were Christians. He says “while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and from house to house.” A more accurate way to understand these scriptures in Acts is “we were teaching you at your homes” similar to the way Witnesses hold congregation book studies.

How to preach is discussed in Matthew 10:5-12:
    “5 These twelve Jesus sent forth, giving them these orders: “Do not go off into the road of the nations, and do not enter into a Sa·mar'i·tan city; 6 but, instead, go continually to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. 7 As YOU go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of the heavens has drawn near.’ 8 Cure sick people, raise up dead persons, make lepers clean, expel demons. YOU received free, give free. 9 Do not procure gold or silver or copper for YOUR girdle purses, 10 or a food pouch for the trip, or two undergarments, or sandals or a staff; for the worker deserves his food.
    11 “Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. 12 When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household;”

Though used as a key reference to justifying the door to door ministry the text at Matthew 10 is disregarded by Witnesses in its entirety. The Watchtower message focuses largely on the earthly organization and earthly paradise rather than the heavenly aspect of the kingdom. Miracles such as faith healing are not practiced. Rather than giving free, donations are requested to cover the cost of the literature and prior to the change of tax status were actively sold. Finally, the disciples did not go house to house, they searched out a single place to stay.

Pix.

• greendawn
    greendawn

What it says there is "kat'oikon" which means at home that is at one's house or even privately at home. It certainly doesn't mean from house to house which in Greek would be "ex oikou eis oikon". Oikos means house, home. There is nothing in the history of the early church about house to house preaching, it simply wasn't practiced.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Let's see what Scripture says, shall we?

Acts 2:46 And every day they devoted themselves [to meeting] together in the temple complex , and broke bread from house to house.

Acts 12:12 When he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John Mark, where many had assembled and were praying.

Col 4:15 Give my greetings to the brothers in Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house.

Philemon 1:2 to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church that meets in your house.

Romans 16:5 Greet also the church that meets in their home.

1 Cor 16:19 The churches of the Asian province greet you. Aquila and Priscilla greet you heartily in the Lord, along with the church that meets in their home.

• Flash
    Flash

Let's see what Scripture says, shall we?

Acts 2:46 And every day they devoted themselves [to meeting] together in the temple complex , and broke bread from house to house.

Acts 12:12 When he realized this, he went to the house of Mary, the mother of John Mark, where many had assembled and were praying.

Col 4:15 Give my greetings to the brothers in Laodicea, and to Nympha and the church in her house.

Philemon 1:2 to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier, and to the church that meets in your house.

Romans 16:5 Greet also the church that meets in their home.

1 Cor 16:19 The churches of the Asian province greet you. Aquila and Priscilla greet you heartily in the Lord, along with the church that meets in their home.

Jesus never taught anyone to establish a riged congregational structure. That began with Paul, an ex-Pharisee. The message of the Good News was to travel freely and w/o cost.

As for preaching house to house, I believe they did. But to use it as the PRIMARY means to reach people in today's modern world is a crime.

All the means of Mass Global Communcation should be utilized FULLY.

The Good News of Christ's message should be blanketing the earth touching people's hearts to accept God through His Son. Then as was done in the first century, let the congregations form and operate informaly in people's homes and spread into every part of the earth!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    From those with a knowledge of the time/place/culture that this scripture applies to, do you agree with me?

The translation of the exact phrase is a red herring...regardless of how it is translated, the Society has badly misinterpreted the verse. All one needs to do is read the whole context to see that Paul is talking about teaching fellow Christians privately in their homes:

"From Miletus, Paul sent to Ephesus for the elders of the church. When they arrived, he said to them: 'You know how I lived the whole time I was with you, from the first day I came into the province of Asia. I served the Lord with great humility and with tears, although I was severely tested by the plots of the Jews. You know that I have not hesitated to preach anything that would be helpful to you but have taught you publicly and from house to house' " (Acts 20:17-20).

Paul here relates his past activity in teaching "you", i.e. "the elders of the church". That is to say, this has nothing to do with a public preaching work to non-Christians. Rather, this is pastoral teaching within the church. Moreover, Paul implicitly contrasts teaching them "publicly" with his teaching them "house to house". This implies that the phrase translated "from house to house" is not a public pastoral ministry but privately within Christian homes. Some knowledge of the social life of early Christians is important here. There were no public buildings that they met in like synagogues or modern churches; they tended to meet in members' homes (cf. Romans 16:5, 1 Corinthians 16:19, Colossians 4:15, Philemon 2). In a large city like Ephesus, there were probably several congregations, so Paul would have visited each house church individually, going from "house to house". Moreover, when the whole church met together for the Eucharist and general teaching, this could only be done in large public spaces, hence the reference to teaching them "publicly".

• greendawn
    greendawn

"As for preaching house to house, I believe they did". Thre is nothing in early church history to support this eg the Didache which expands on the way the early church worked in the first century. In addition there were several different functions in the church and preaching was just one of these. Each member were gifted to carry out one of these eg apostles, teachers, prophets

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

It is probably wrong to ask the question: "Does the expression "Kath' Oikion" used at Acts 5:42 mean "From "house to house" " because no answer can be given to such a question. Rather I would think the proper question is: "Can it mean such"?

The reason for this dilemma is because the phrase Kath' Oikion can actually have two meanings. And whereas in most texts the meanings can be distinguished, in a few, such as this verse, a measure of ambiguity persists. It can have an "idiomatic" or a "distributive" meaning. If in the context of Acts 5:42, the phrase under discussion has a "distributive" meaning then it may very well be translated "from house to house" as do several translations of this passage.[See NASB, NET, Barklay etc]

If it has an idiomatic meaning, as evidenced by a majority of translations [NKJB NJB RSV NLT AMP NEB REB NAB and even one WT approved version BY] then it would mean "privately" or some variant like "at home" or "in private homes" etc. This is the majority view because the expression "Kath Oikion" is used at Acts 2:46, where the distributive sense cannot be sustained. Otherwise we would have the improbable notion that the early Christians went from house to house breaking bread. In fact it is pertinent to point out that here the NWT does translate the phrase as "in private homes" Go figure.

The problem for us here lies with the word "Kata" which, among its various applications flowing from its basic meaning of "According to" is a distributive one. For instance take a look at Mar 6:40, where NASB has "And they laid themselves down in companies of one hundreds and fiflties" NWT is virtually the same except for the use of "groups" instead of "companies" A literal rendering of this verse would be "They laid themselves down group by group in hundreds and fifties" [ Brown/Comfort Lit version] In a case such as this, the distributive application of Kata is clear.

So we may concede that, were we to take advantage of the relative ambiguity in this verse as the WTS does, that Acts 5:42 could be rendered "House to house" as the WTS would have us believe. However we still have to account for the context. In this verse it tells us that "They" went from house to house and were in the Temple. Has any WTS follower ever asked the simple question who the "They" are in this verse? Hmmm? Does it refer to the whole community of believers, as the WTS insists on pressuring us with?

The context is established by reading from Vs 18, where "they" are first mentioned. It turns out that this entire chapter is speaking about the Church leadership at time, as exercised by the Apostles. They are the "they" who are spoken of. 1They were accused 2They were beaten 3They were tried by the Sanhedrin 4They were charged not to preach in the name of Jesus. 5 They refused 6 They were finally released 7They preached in the Temple and from House to house

Now in all the cases above, according to the WTS the "They" who are mentioned, is admitted to be the Apostles, except for the one, the last, which by some strange alchemy, morphs into the whole community of believers. I will believe the WTS requirement for the entire community to be encumbent with the house to house preaching if the WTS can explain how a small group like the 12 Apostles can be transformed into a community of believers numbering at least 10 000.

I will also believe the WTS interpretation of this text, when I see the WTS leadership, headed by Ted Jaracz out in the field service, distributing the very literature they produce. Not just once a month, not just for one hour, but every bloody day [that's what Acts 5:42 requires] slogging it out in the heat and biting cold, from dawn to dusk. If Ted and his arrogant flunkies have a "love" for jehovah that they so boastfully claim to have, then let them go first, establish the custom, then maybe, I might follow.

It is the most outrageous filth to see these "leaders" comfortable in their luxury, with undisclosed amounts on their credit cards, winging their way around the world in arrogant splendour, making imperious statements from behind the security and anonymity of the platforms they speak from, and the literature they spew out, about how others should act, when they do nothing to alleviate the burdens they themselves impose on their followers.

Do NOT believe, nor be afraid of, these evil and blasphemous men. Nowhere in the NT is there ever a need for every single member of the community of believers to preach from house to house or otherwise. That is not your responsibity, nor is it mine. It is the work of the Holy Spirit. For those who have neither the gift nor the temperment for it, the Holy Spirit will raise up, not just others who do have this gift and temperment, but hundreds and thousands of others. It is only when a faithless and carnal group of men, consumed by their own prominence, and unaware of the power of the Holy Spirit, that such unnessessary commands become apparent.

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit