letter to British Bethal

by sleepy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

I hope to send this letter today although I must seriously consider the consequences if I do.
    Please let me know if I got the NGO info right.

Dear brothers,
    I am writing on two matters of major concern to me.

Firstly recently I have become aware of the fact that the Watchtower society of Jehovah’s witnesses in New York is associated as an NGO (non governmental organisation) with the department of public information of the United Nations organisation.
    At first I was very skeptical of the idea , but when I checked it out on the UN’s web site I found that Jehovah’s Witnesses were indeed listed in partnership with the UN.
    This is puzzling to me as by belief has been that the UN was taught by the Faithful and discreet slave to be part of Satan’s political system of things.
    Here are some quotes from Watchtower literature.

*** re 248 34 An Awesome Mystery Solved ***
    The UN is actually a blasphemous counterfeit of God’s Messianic Kingdom by his Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ—to whose princely rule there will be no end.

*** w87 9/1 20 On Guard Against "Peace and Security" as Devised by Nations ***
    9 In the prophecy of Isaiah, the Creator explicitly says: "The heavens are my throne, and the earth is my footstool." (Isaiah 66:1) The nations down here on his footstool are not adorning it by their United Nations organization. They are striving politically to maintain global peace and security and thereby keep the United Nations in existence. Jehovah’s dedicated Witnesses on earth cannot join with the world in depending upon the man-made measures that are being undertaken for the peace and security of the worldly nations. They take to heart the words of James 4:4: "Adulteresses, do you not know that the friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever, therefore, wants to be a friend of the world is constituting himself an enemy of God."

Here are some of the requirements set out by the UN in the UN’s web site as to who qualifies as an NGO.
    "Non-Governmental Organizations formally associated with United Nations through the Department of Public Information (DPI) disseminate information about the work of the United Nations to their memberships and endeavour to build knowledge about the United Nations and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. Informally, these organizations are known as"DPI/NGOs"."

"Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those that: Share the ideals of the UN Charter; Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis; Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media."

It is my understanding that the application to become a NGO was signed by a member of the governing body .

I don’t think I need to explain why this issue raises concern in me.
    Please can you confirm the information provided is correct.
    Also please explain why this has been kept from the knowledge of Jehovah’s witnesses in general and also why this seemingly hypocritical situation has been allowed to exist?

My second point of concern is in regard to a statement found in the Aug 1 W 2001 pg 14 p8.
    Talking of mature Christians it says,
    "He does not advocate or insist on personal opinions or harbour PRIVATE ideas when it comes to bible understanding."
    A dictionary definition of harbour is :Keep in ones mind.
    So we are told we are not to keep in mind private ideas as regard to the bible.
    That is , ideas that we tell no one about , only we ourselves know them.
    Therefore we must think only what the faithful and discrete slave tells us to think as regard to the bible even if it does not make sense to us or we have seen other evidence that contradicts the teachings of the watchtower publications.
    Compare this to the statement found in the July 1 2001 W pg 18 p 3.
    "Religious exhortations to the effect that you should just believe and should doubt nothing are dangerous and deceptive."
    I find the statement found in the Aug 1 Watchtower to be a religious exhortation that I should believe what the faithful and discrete slave say through the publications and that I should not doubt what they say , even to the extent that I give my mind over to them and not even think differently to them even if I feel I have reason to do so.
    Therefore I find the evident contradiction found in the Watchtower publications troubling.
    Consider the statement made by the Christ Jesus at Matt :23,10.
    "Neither be called leaders, for your leader is one, the Christ."
    What is the difference between being called leaders and acting as such?
    A leader is simply "a person or thing that leads."
    Are the faithful and discreeet slave appointed to lead our minds, or to help us?
    Have not the watchtower publications said in the past that they are only "helps"
    in bible understanding?

I trust that you understand why these above mentioned facts have been of great trouble to my mind. I anticipate that you will consider what I have written and will be able to justify the stand taken by the watchtower society by means of a reasonable explanation.

Your brother,

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hi Sleepy,

I would have emailed, privately, but your address is locked:

>>It is my understanding that the application to become a NGO was singed by a member of the governing body.<<

The GB member may have "singed", but I suggest that you may have meant "signed" .

Other than that, succinctly put.

LT

• sleepy
    sleepy

Littletoe

Thanks for pointing out the spelling error.

Altough maybe he did sing to the UN.

Makes a funny picture anyway.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Aww, sheesh!!!
    Now you've got me picturing Bill and Ted doing "Bohemian Rhapsody"!!!

ROFL
    ROFL
    ROFL

LT

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Sleepy:

Some editing suggestions:

First, I recently became aware that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has been a formally Associated NGO (non governmental organisation) with the United Nations Department of Public Information since 1991.

At first I was very sceptical of the idea, but when I checked it out on this UN webpage, I found that was indeed listed as one of the UN's many NGO partners:

http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/ngodir/NGODirAlph/alphabet.htm

This partnership between the United Nations and the Watchtower Society is puzzling to me since I thought that the Faithful and Discreet Slave has always taught that the United Nations is the Scarlet-colored Wild Beast, and that any religious organizations who associated with the Beast were part of the Great Harlot.

<QUOTES>

This UN webpage sets out the requirements for a NGO to be accepted as a formally Associated UNDPI NGO.

http://www.un.org/MoreInfo/ngolink/brochure.htm

Did you notice these criteria?

"Non-Governmental Organizations formally associated with United Nations through the Department of Public Information (DPI) disseminate information about the work of the United Nations to their memberships and endeavour to build knowledge about the United Nations and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. Informally, these organizations are known as"DPI/NGOs"."

"Organizations eligible for association with DPI are those that: Share the ideals of the UN Charter; Operate solely on a not-for-profit basis; Have a demonstrated interest in United Nations issues and proven ability to reach large or specialized audiences, such as educators, media representatives, policy makers and the business community Have the commitment and means to conduct effective information programmes about UN activities by publishing newsletters, bulletins, and pamphlets; organizing conferences, seminars and round tables; and enlisting the cooperation of the media."

It is my understanding that the Watchtower Society's Application to become a UNDPI NGO was officially signed by Lloyd Barry, then a member of the WBTS Governing Body.

I don't think I need to explain why this issue raises concern in me.

Please, can you confirm that the information provided at the United Nations website is correct?

Also, please explain why this partnership has been kept from the knowledge of Jehovah's Witnesses in general, and also, why this seemingly hypocritical situation has been allowed to exist?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Sleepy,

When I write a letter I always put it through a spell checker. My spelling is BAD! I can proof read pretty good though. There are a few other errors in your letter, so I would copy and post it to a spell checker. I know also that in Europe you spell some words differently from us Americans, so that may account for some of the perceived errors in spelling.

"This is puzzling to me as by belief"

Should be "my belief". A spell checker wouldn't catch this.

You letter was well written and I saved it for future use(if you don't mind me using it). Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ken P.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Sleepy,
    Your letter, and the suggestions/editing contributed by Madapostate and others are sound.
    My suggestion would be to italicize or put in bold print the key phrases in the ``did you notice these criteria?'' section, such as ``support,'' ``promote,'' etc. Also please take care to spell ``discreet'' correctly.
    Best regards

• Moxy
    Moxy

while we're being so picky, its spelled 'skeptical.'

mox

• gravyman
    gravyman

Apologies in advance for being INSUFFERABLY pedantic, but I'm afraid Sleepy got it right; the British spelling is with a "c", the American with a "k" - just another example of being divided by a common language...which reminds me of a line I heard on the subject from an English stand-up comedian some years ago:

"You say 'diaper', we say 'nappy'; you say 'sidewalk', we say 'pavement'; you say 'bomb Libya', we say 'anything you say'..." [;p]

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

Hi, Sleepy!

Your letter is good, and, by itself, I don’t think you need expect bad repercussion for yourself, or any at all. Probably you will get an answer and it will say something like “The August Watchtower comment was not advocating mind control.”

Probably they will also address the July issue comments by adding an assertion like “While Christians do not doubt trusted and unifying sources of information, especially one that has caused good fruitage, they should guard against gullibility, which is the import of the July Watchtower comment.” They will skirt your question.

Of course, this is not what they have actually put in print, and most of us know the extremes that some elders will take this information. Many also have experience with the WTS itself applying comments like the one in the August issue with sharp harshness in an effort to confuse and breakdown individual JWs into making a confession of “having doubts.”

Editing suggestions on this thread are pretty good too. You should consider some of them. But make this letter your own—use your own wording. We must own what we do and say in order to be honest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit