Am I being persecuted by the WTS for my choice of beliefs? Is it criminal?

by misocup 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I think this does an excellent job of summing up the behavior of JWs:

"I am treated as evil by people who claim that they are being oppressed because they are not allowed to force me to practice what they do." -- D. Dale Gulledge

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Back before the internet, there were few resources a person could use to research the JW's, and many were deceived into this cult, and by then it was too late to try to escape without losing family members and friends. Nowadays the situation is different. There are many people who come to these boards, who are studying with the JW's and have questions, if they so choose to disregard our advice, then they really cant plead ignorance somewhere down the road in the future. But yes I see it as a form of religious persecution, especially for those who were trapped into this religion before the internet. I wonder what would happen if a christian business refused to do business with the watchtower? Would they be allowed to shun their business under the guise of freedom of religion?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I see two different issues being discussed here. Many have chosen to address the morality of the question; whether it is right or wrong. This can be addressed many ways - even legally. They have the right to decide who to associate with even if that decision is coerced or mandated by the religious body

I think that is a violation of my civil rights and religious freedom.

This seems to address more of a legal question. The legalities of questions such as this are standing on a very thin line these days. While the courts have historically refused to get involved in how a religion practices their faith, even when that includes the practice of shunning they are taking a less open view when it comes to the practice of shunning when it comes to children who are caught in the middle between two parents on either side of the debate.

Some newer court decisions hadve clearly stated that a JW parent (or other relative) cannot take visiting children to the KH, they cannot "study" with this children and cannot say anything to the children that lessens the reputation of the custodial parent - saying the parent is wicked or evil for not obeying Jehovah for example.

Instances where a child is being shunned in their own home will hopefully be addressed in the courtsd sometime soon (I hope) and might get a similar ruling although the practice of that in the home will be next to impossible to enforce.

The increasing rate of suicides and suicide/homicides in the JW community might also be an issue worth examining legally in regards to how the shunning might affect those who are being shunned.

They might have the right to believe what they want to believe and even the right to associate with whomever they want . . . or not but when it comes to the damage it does to those who are consider to have left the courts might begin to see this practice in a whole new way

• misocup
    misocup
    They might have the right to believe what they want to believe and even the right to associate with whomever they want . . . or not but when it comes to the damage it does to those who are consider to have left the courts might begin to see this practice in a whole new way

Ah see that is what I'm on about.

Maybe someday after the courts tell the WTS they cannot shun anymore, or they start losing big money for the damage caused by shunning, they will change their policy and call it "new light". HA!

If you are a JW, raised in it, you have the right to leave, the right to believe as you want, BUT you will be punished severely for exercising those rights. I think that punishment is aggressive intimidation and religious persecution instigated by the organisation. It's as much as they can do without actually killing you, or putting red hot pokers in your eyes.

Personally, I don't see why you can break the laws of the land (especially constituational laws) in the name of God. That leaves all types of abuse wide open.

If you look at the bigamists that think it's ok for 50 year old men to marry 15 yr old girls in the name of religion, or the muslims who think it's ok to kill their children for bringing disgrace on the family or fly planes into buildings full of people, or the hindus who think it's ok to allow millions of people to live on the streets, or the catholics who think birth control is wrong even though the people most affected are the poor (ever read Angelas Ashes?) At some point religion has to loosen it's stranglehold on the minds of humans.

99% of the time religion is used as a tool for control of the people by those wanting (more) money and power.

How do the GB live? Anyone know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit