What is the purpse of the Jehovahs witnesses

by theyoungone 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• theyoungone
    theyoungone

I have been on this site for a while looking around at all your comments and most of you have pretty good arguments and I am not trying to argue for either side i am just wondering and maybe this has already been discussed but what is the purpose of the jehovah's witnesses most of you believe that the jw organization is a cult and that they are controlling the minds of their people, but why are they trying to control the minds of the people? is it to get their money? Is their reports of the jws having like billions of dollars stashed away? Are they trying to have just power of people? or do they just all believe that what their teaching is really true and actually are trying to get people to paradise? I dont know if you guys understand what I am saying are not but I hope you do email me if you want me to explain more of what i am trying to ask

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

I think the vast majority of Witnesses become such out of a genuine belief that they know the 'truth' and want to serve God.

Unfortunately, any group that believes they have the exclusive hotline to The Almighty rapidly deteriorate in their behaviour.

They develop an arrogant attitude for being the only ones who know the truth and they develop a taste for power and prestige over other believers.

They lose the ability to think and reason and they prevent others from doing so also.

They have built up a cumbersome money making business that requires unpaid workers to distribute their product for them while paying for the privelege!

Whoops! Now we've found ourselves trapped in a cult and can't get out without losing all our friends and family.

I find it very hard to explain to a non-witness how much fear there is in leaving the Witnesses.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Making money. Lots and lots of money. The watchtower organization was founded as a money making scheme, by Russel, fronting as a religion. It is nothing more than a multi-billion dollar publishing, real-esate holding corporation.

As a side bar, they are also a cult that prey on the weak and hopeful.

Sociopaths to the core.

Check out www.sixscreensofthewatchtower.com and any number of other watchtower exposing sites.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Go rent the Wizard of OZ and watch it uninterupted. Kansas is the real world. Oz is the made up JW world. Once you allow yourself to be brought into the JW world, you have to play by their made up arbitrary rules.

Lesson to be learned: LIve in the real world...stay in the real world. Live free.

r's hubby

• agapa37
    agapa37

The purpose of JWS are to preach, teach and make disciples. Jesus commanded his followers to spread the Goodnews of Gods Kingdom. That is JWS number one priority. Also, there purpose is to serve the Tue God Jehovah, like his son Jesus did. Jesus said he made his name known among men and will continue to. JWS represent The true God.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

The Bible Students and later called Jehovah's Witnesses most likely started out as a bit of both - to make money and honest people try to sell their version of truth to the world.The making money was so they could sell their version of truth.

I think that in some part is still true today. The probelm is that at this point the people at the top truly believe they are selling truth when in reality they are just a money-making scheme. And all the people further down the line have no idea about just how much money the WTS generates per year.

I believe Franz discusses this in Crisis of Conscience.

• Who are you?
    Who are you?

The purpose of the Jehovah's Witnesses is to convince otherwise intelligent people that an understanding of, and a relationship with, the one true God named Jehovah and a correct understanding of the bible is totally impossible without them.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I understand your thought. There doesn't seem to be any real financial benefit for the
    Governing Body. Sure, they live comfortably, but not extravagant. Well, let me help
    your thinking.

C.T. Russell formed a religion for the same reasons that other people do the same or become
    preachers. He saw it as an easy way to make money, but he may have also believed
    most or all of his own teachings. I doubt that J.F. Rutherford believed all of his teachings
    but he might have- he definitely lived like a king on the tab of the WTS, so his motives
    were obvious. He turned the organization more into a cult because it was more profitable.

After JFR, it becomes more difficult to see the purpose of WTS. Some, if not all the
    rest of the leaders (presidents and Governing Body members) may have been like CTR.
    They believed the teachings (most or all) and thought the organization should make money.
    Some of them believe the money is for advancing the good news.

There are hawks in the background. Lawyers, contractors, friends and relatives of important
    people in the corporation- who benefit from the money-making aspect. Some (or all) of the
    Governing Body feel that's okay if the advancing of the good news continues. The hawks
    don't care about the average person, but somebody has to profit from the sale of land and
    paper and shipping, might as well be JW's or friends and relatives.

NOW- if any high-up people wake up, discovering the cult is not spreading good news or
    have some doubts about the way it is done, they have fear instilled in them just as the rank
    and file have fear. "If I say anything, they will disfellowship me." Many have put in their dues,
    worked as unpaid volunteers for this cause, now they receive a nice apartment in Brooklyn and
    meals, many of them get to travel all over the world to represent this corporation. It might not
    seem extravagant to Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey, but to a person whose lifetime accomplishments
    are spiritual and not financial, it's living high on the hog. This person doesn't want to go away
    disfellowshipped, with nothing (think Ray Franz). He feels he deserves this life.

You could make an argument for the power and respect instead of the lifestyle. It would be a
    similar argument.
    So, it's not just the money. It's that they are trapped in their own concept of what the real
    purpose of this organization is, just as you asked. Anyone who wakes up, but has reached the
    upper levels, just stays quiet- and says their purpose is to spread the good news.

• iamfreenow
    iamfreenow

Hello theyoungone, and welcome.

Agapa 37 said

The purpose of JWS are to preach, teach and make disciples. Jesus commanded his followers to spread the Goodnew of Gods Kingdom. That is JWS number one priority. Also, there purpose is to serve the Tue God Jehovah, like his son Jesus did. Jesus said he made his name known amoung men and will continue to. JWS represent The true God.

I used to believe that, for most of my 60 years. Many JWs still believe it, and it would be wonderful if the leaders of the Watchtower Society shared the same altruistic motives, but they do not.

Their purpose, if one can call it that, is to maintain control over the 6 million or so they have indoctrinated by any means at their disposal, whether it be by evasive tactics or outright lies. Whatever it takes, they will do it to uphold their authority and maintain the comfortable lifestyle they have built for themselves over the years. Any threats to their authority, in the shape of JWs who begin to see through the man made nature of their doctrine, and dare to challenge them, are quickly eliminated by disfellowshipping.

• Clam
    Clam

Hello TheYoungOne and welcome.

When I read your post I got the impression that it was partly asking whether the Watchtower believed its own rhetoric. That's a 64 dollar question in my opinion. They may be Announcing Jehovah's Kingdom Ô, but they sure are making a hell of a lot of money doing it. They're going to have a big problem shoving the fat ass of their camel through the proverbial eye of the needle.

Clam.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit