Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses??? huh?

by cultswatter 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Actually the WTS teaches:

Congregation of God = 144,000 only

*** WT Index 86-05 CONGREGATION OF GOD

(See Anointed Christians; Christian Congregation; Congregation of Israel)

*** WT Index 30-85 CONGREGATION OF GOD

(Also called 144,000; Anointed; Body of Christ; Bride of Christ; Chosen Ones; Elect; Holy Nation; Israel of God; Kingdom Class; Little Flock; New Creation; New Nation; Royal House; Royal Priesthood; Sanctuary Class; Sons of Levi; Spirit Begotten; Spiritual Israel; Spiritual Sons)

*** it-1 p. 498 Congregation ***

The Christian congregation of God took the place of the congregation of Israel at Pentecost of 33 C.E., when holy spirit was poured out on Jesus’ followers in Jerusalem. The first prospective members of that congregation were chosen shortly after Jesus’ baptism, at the beginning of his ministry on earth. (Ac 2:1-4; Joh 1:35-43) From among his early followers Jesus selected 12 apostles (Lu 6:12-16), and later he chose Saul of Tarsus, who became "an apostle to the nations." (Ac 9:1-19; Ro 11:13) The 12 faithful apostles of the Lamb Jesus Christ, including Matthias who replaced Judas, constitute secondary foundations of the Christian congregation.—Ac 1:23-26; Re 21:1, 2, 14.
    This congregation is referred to as "the congregation of the firstborn who have been enrolled in the heavens," the full number of which, under Christ the head, is 144,000. (Heb 12:23; Re 7:4) These called-out ones are "bought from among mankind" to carry out a special work here on earth and then to be with Christ in heaven as his bride. As there were requirements for membership in the Hebrew congregation of God, so there are requisites for membership in the Christian "congregation of God." Those making it up are spiritual virgins who keep following the Lamb, Jesus Christ, no matter where he goes, "and no falsehood was found in their mouths; they are without blemish."—Re 14:1-5.
    The members of the Christian congregation of God are selected by Jehovah. (Ro 8:30; 2Th 2:13) The first members thereof were called out from the rejected Jewish congregation, which had not accepted God’s Son as their Messiah. However, beginning with Cornelius in 36 C.E., members of the Christian congregation were also called out from the nations in general, so that Paul could say: "There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one person in union with Christ Jesus." (Ga 3:28; Ac 10:34, 35; Ro 10:12; Eph 2:11-16)

So are non-anointed JWs part of the "congregation of God"? In fact, initially, non-anointed members of the WTS weren't even JWs.

*** Proclaimers book (1993) chap. 7 p. 83 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941) ***

The following spring, several issues of TheWatchtower, beginning with the April 1, 1935, issue, carried this announcement: "Again TheWatchtower reminds its readers that a convention of Jehovah’s witnesses and Jonadabs will be held at Washington, D.C., beginning May 30 and ending June 3, 1935." The Jonadabs eagerly awaited the convention.

Footnote

jv sect. 1 chap. 7 p. 83 Advertise the King and the Kingdom! (1919-1941)

At that time the Jonadabs were not considered to be "Jehovah’s witnesses." (See TheWatchtower, August 15, 1934, page 249.)

It was not until eight years later, they were called that, a full 11 years after the Bible Students were given the name "Jehovah's Witnesses" by Rutherford

*** Footnote see above***

However, a few years later, TheWatchtower of July 1, 1942, stated: "These ‘other sheep’ [Jonadabs] become witnesses for Him, on the same wise that the faithful men before Christ’s death, from John the Baptist all the way back to Abel, were the never-quitting witnesses for Jehovah."

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

blondie

There is nothing explicit therein to suggest that they only regard the 144,000 as being Christian. Any implication that they said such is over-ridden by their explicit comments to the contrary.

• blondie
    blondie

You Can Live Forever in Paradise on Earth (1989) chap.14p.125par.18WhoGotoHeaven,andWhy?***

So this "congregation of God" is made up of all Christians on earth who have the hope of heavenly life. In all, only 144,000 persons finally make up the "congregation of God."

I know that the WTS tries to give the non-anointed members the impression that they are part of the "congregation of God" but they know that the Bible only identifies spirit-anointed Christians as part of that group. The WTS says that the non-anointed members don't even really become Christ's brothers and God's sons until after the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ and they pass the final test.

*** w04 11/1 p. 13 par. 17 Happy Servants of Jehovah ***

Those who successfully pass the final test after the Millennial Reign of Christ will be adopted as Jehovah’s earthly sons and "have the glorious freedom of the children of God."

*** w84 2/1 p. 17 United Worshipers of the Only True God ***

Thereafter, when the final test is past and all those then rebelling have been destroyed, Jehovah will lovingly adopt as his sons through Christ all perfected humans who have proved loyal. They will become a part of God’s united universal family, to all of whom Jehovah will forever be the only God, the Universal Sovereign and loving Father. What a heartwarming prospect that is! Is it your earnest desire to be included in that happy family of worshipers?—Romans 8:20, 21.
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro
    The WTS says that the non-anointed members don't even really become Christ's brothers and God's sons until after the end of the 1,000 year reign of Christ and they pass the final test.

Discussion of the group in question is irrelevant as to whether they regard the (so called) non-anointed members are Christians. It only indicates whether they are in a particular congregation, i.e. the 144,000. It is consistent with their belief that there are two 'groups', and they regard both of those groups as Christian. The Watchtower explicitly states that the other members are Christians. Independent of that, the basic definition of Christian also identifies them as 'Christian' in the strict sense of the word.

• undercover
    undercover

This is another case of the WTS being duplicitous. The doctrine, when broken down, indicates that only the 144,000 are the "true Christian Congregation" but yet the WTS never comes right out and says that in so many words.

They cleverly avoid making it crystal clear that the non-anointed are not technically considered "Christians".

They can't come right out and say, "Only the anointed are Christian" because even then the average JW would revolt. All JWs think of themselves as Christian because as Jeffro brought out, "the basic definition of Christian also identifies them as 'Christian' in the strict sense of the word."

But the WTS is not interested in what the strict meaning is, their definition and theirs alone is what matters to them. Much like how they took the word "apostate" and re-defined it fit their policies, so to are they doing with the definition of the word "christian".

As we already know, the WTS is not above lying to further their own cause. We also know that the have contradicted themselves on numerous occasions.

Is it really surprising to see this quote, (and others like it): "Whether of the anointed or of the other sheep, all Christians serve Jehovah together as “one flock” under “one shepherd.” and then see evidence to the contrary?

I believe that they intentionally load the language of the articles so as to give the non-anointed the delusion of being Christian, even though those statements contradict the doctrine.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello undercover,

Remember they only engage in righteous lying.

Hello Blondie,

Thanks so much for the quotes about the Jonadabs. This is great, unbelievable stuff most of us knew about but chose to forget long ago. Thanks for refreshing the memory.

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

Blondie,

Let me begin by saying that I read here much more than I post. I really enjoy your posts as they are well thought out and full of backup info. In this particular instance though, I have not seen from you anything specific that supports the idea that only annointed are Christian. All of your info points to different info-not a direct line claiming such. I do not believe as dubs do anymore. I faded without the hoopla because I, like many others, have too much family too wrapped up in emotional attachments to be able to see past the BS and look at what is really being taught.

That being said, please explain, if you want to, where specifically this is said. Inferences do not count as actual facts-especially in light of the comments made by Jeffro. Nothing bothers me more than having to defend the WTBS, but I don't see in anything so far that this is the case.

I make these comments with all due respect to your proven track record.

CCS

• blondie
    blondie

CCS, from reading the older publications quite extensively besides having spending time with relatives and family friends that were anointed (the real pre-1935 anointed). The anointed members felt that the non-anointed 1) did not have get baptized 2) were not JWs 3) did not have to attend the memorial until 1938 4) were not part of the "congregation of God." Since 1935, the WTS has gradually backed off their exclusionary stance regarding the non-anointed, appointing non-anointed males as elders, COs and DOs.

But that secondary "aura" still clings to non-anointed JWs. Maybe I'm splitting hairs.

Blondie

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

Blondie,

Thanks for your response. This topic seems to have brought me more questions than answers. From what you are saying, all dubs are irrelevant except as pack mules. It all seems to make sense now-but why doesn't anyone see it now? I get the impression that the annointed have almost become obsolete in this new generation of followers. They seem to be more active as "dead ressurected" ones than they ever did alive. The 1/1/07 WT still bugs me as to how they communicate with these dead ones. When I brought this Q up to a friend after that meeting (a complete coincidence that I was even there), he did not even remember the point. I had to show him in the WT what was said. Standard response-"I'll look that up."

Anyway, again thanks for the response and now I can better understand your thoughts on the matter.

CCS

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Since the JWs regard themselves as the ONLY Christians...it has always seemed to me that when they refer to themselves as Jehovahs Christian Witnesses that it is totally redundant. As if to imply that there are also Jehovahs Jewish Witnesses and Jehovahs Muslim Witnesses out there. :) And the JWs claim they dont have a hierarchy like the Catholics LOLOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit