How do I find out the history of my house?

by ButtLight 15 Replies latest jw friends

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I was wondering if anyone has ever done this, and knows how to go about getting the info.

I want to know how old it is, all the previous tennents, If any of them are dead, and or died in this house. All that good stuff.

It would be nice if I could find it out on the net.......instead of running all over the place.

• Lumptard
    Lumptard

I've never done it myself but the previous tennants are probably listed in public records and you could search the local newspaper archives for the deaths of those people. Is it an old house?

• JH
    JH

All depending on how old your house is I guess.

I'd start by the police station. They must have a database with every address in the city and lots of info.

Then I would ask the neighbours, if they knew who lived at your home before you.

Maybe you could contact them, since it's a small town you live in.

Who knows what you'd find.

Maybe there is a dead rat in your attic

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

You can find out how old the house is by taking a look at www.zillow.com

• ButtLight
    ButtLight
    You can find out how old the house is by taking a look at www.zillow.com

I typed in my addy, and it only gave me the location........do i have to click on something else? My bf said he thinks its about 90 years old!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Difficult to offer completely relevant advice as I'm in the UK but maybe I can offer some pointers.

Over here in the public libraries there are reference departments which have archives of old street maps, registers of births/deaths/marriages and all the local newspaper editions. I don't know whether there's anything similar where you are? Local museum maybe?

Also the council offices have records of planning/building consents - so you could contact whoever grants permission to build.

Do you have deeds/land registration for your house? If there's an equivalent of the UK Land Registry over there, maybe you can get the names of everyone the land was registered to.

But a REALLY good source of local history is, if there is one where you live, a local antiquarian society (people who look at local history and share info), they're great for finding out tidbits of info which can get overlooked in the larger picture.

The house I grew up in was built on an old burial ground - and our poor, tortured dog sure knew it!!

Happy hunting!!

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Buttlight, click on the address, you will find out how old the house is.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

In our area, the property tax records are online and give a history of ownership of the houses. Try typing in "[your county] property tax records" and see what you get.

Keep us posted!

Nina

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

BUTT LIGHT, I AM A REALTOR AND WE HAVE TO DO THIS ALL THE TIME, ASK EITHER AN ATTORNEY, (THE MOST EXPENSIVE ROUTE) OR AN ABSTRACTOR, OR TITLE COMPANY TO DO A "TITLE SEARCH" ON YOUR PROPERTY, AFTER YOU GET ALL THE INFO, YOU CAN THEN TAKE THE "OWNERS OF RECORD" TO THE LOCAL LIABRARY AND THEN SEARCH THE OWNERS COMPARED TO THEIR DEATH, A QUICKER ROUTE MAY BE TO ASK THE RECORDER OF WILLS IN THE COURTHOUSE ALSO.

IF THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD SEVERAL TIMES ASK A REALTOR IN THE AREA TO DO A HISTORY AGAINST THE MLS TO SEE HOW MANY TIMES THE PROPERTY WAS SOLD RECENTLY, ALSO THE TAX RECORD WHICH CAN BE EASILY FOUND. IF THERE WAS A DEATH IN THE HOUSE, IN OUR STATE IT IS LAW TO DISCLOSE THE INFORMATION.

IF SOLD MANY TIMES IN QUICK SUCCESSION, FIND OUT IF THERE WERE A MURDER/DEATH, IT COULD BE A "STIGMITIZED PROPERTY"

IN MY STATE, IF IT WASN'T DISCLOSED ABOUT A "GHOST" THERE IS LIABILITY TO THE SELLER, IT IS CALLED "NOT VACANT" BASED ON THE "AMITYVILLE HORROR" MOVIE, SOME BUYERS HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY REFUNDED THE MONEY AND THE SELLER HAD TO TAKE BACK THE PROPERTY AS FAR BACK AS THEY COULD FIND. LITIGATION IS INVOLVED BUT THERE ARE WAYS TO FIND OUT FAIRLY QUICK AND INEXPENSIVE.

IF YOU NEED ANYMORE HELP YOU CAN PM, I WILL WALK YOU THROUGH AND GIVE YOU SOME EXTRA POINTERS AND HELP.

abr

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Thanks everyone....

IN MY STATE, IF IT WASN'T DISCLOSED ABOUT A "GHOST" THERE IS LIABILITY TO THE SELLER, IT IS CALLED "NOT VACANT" BASED ON THE "AMITYVILLE HORROR" MOVIE, SOME BUYERS HAVE BEEN COMPLETELY REFUNDED THE MONEY AND THE SELLER HAD TO TAKE BACK THE PROPERTY AS FAR BACK AS THEY COULD FIND. LITIGATION IS INVOLVED BUT THERE ARE WAYS TO FIND OUT FAIRLY QUICK AND INEXPENSIVE.

I sold my last house about 4 years ago..........I waited till she signed the papers lmao, and then told her it was haunted. She was HAPPY!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit