Not an Oprah fan?

by looking_glass 12 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Join the club. First of all I am in Chicago, so we get tons of stories about the woman. Is she any different from any other wealthy powerful person, probably not, but she certainly is not the golden child she presents herself.

1) She can be demanding (not any different from many wealthy rich people) and if you do not ask how high when she says jump, you are fired.

2) She is known to agree to something, disappear for a while and then people get a form letter from "her people" saying that Oprah cannot participate in ___[fill in appropriate word here]_____. End of story and also, it is spelled out that a person cannot say that Oprah was in ANY way associated w/ the project otherwise legal action will be taken. Now for a school that was counting on her helping raise money (by use of her name) and using her name in the promos up till the form letter, it makes it very difficult to explain to others that she has pulled out. The only thing you can do is say that for those who were originally supporting the project, due to other commitments are no longer associated with it. Legal spin, end of story. But it is still shitty, if you ask me.

3) Any person who insists on being on the cover of EVERY mag they product is pretty self absorbed is you ask me.

So, ABC t.v. is showing a special w/ how Oprah has raised money for a girls' school in Africa. I don't begrudge them their school. What I would love, would be for people to see Oprah for who she is .... a self absorbed, spoiled t.v. personality.

• BrentR
    BrentR

Not only do I not like Orca but I especially despise her little sock puppet Dr. Billy Bob. They are both a couple of pompous, self agrandizing hypocrites.

• pierogi
    pierogi

What, you don't like her?

She looks like such a nice person. Lol!

• Rebirth
    Rebirth

Well I know if there was someone examining my every move w/a microscope I wouldn't be very liked even if I did amazing things. Hey, you're free to criticize her, but at least she is trying to do what is right w/her money. That's a lot better than 99% of the wealthly individuals in this world.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    Hey, you're free to criticize her, but at least she is trying to do what is right w/her money

Interesting how people think this. How much of her money does she give a couple mil? How much is she worth a billion? What percentage of her wealth does she give, I have read that it is between .01 - .05%. I do not know for sure, but does anyone? Of the other millions they are from the money of others, not her! Her Angel Network. The Red Cross raises millions, do you see anyone there standing up in front of the American people claiming to be a messenger of god? No! Let's recognize her for who she is, a woman, plain and simple. She has figured out a way to get money out of a bunch of middle class people. Good for her! But let's not say that it is her money, because it is not.

She likes to use herself as an example of what a "black woman can do". But she caters to white middle class women. Do you think that people who are poorer class blacks in the US are watching her and affording what she sells. Look at the price of her mag on the stand. Do you think a family of four that is just making it, is going to buy a mag that contains articles for a bunch of white chicks? No.

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

So, ABC t.v. is showing a special w/ how Oprah has raised money for a girls' school in Africa. I don't begrudge them their school. What I would love, would be for people to see Oprah for who she is .... a self absorbed, spoiled t.v. personality.

A bash Oprah thread on a religious board. OK. I like her topics on ocassion. She has some issues that are interesting to me.

Really, how many billionaires are not self absorbed and spoiled. Trump?

I do not care what % of her massive bank roll she gives, it is something, and may make a difference in ONE persons life. I remember Trump gave the subway rescuer $15 or $20k. Not a lot for a billionaire, but it is SOMETHING.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Put tom cruise and opulent opra in a cage, and see who comes out on top.

S

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Lets just say you're right.....so what?

it's a free country, as long as Oprah isn't hurting people, I don't seen why it's an issue,

So she doesn't give a huge chunk of her money away. So. What. It's HERS.

Some people want to put her on a pedastal. So. What.

So she consults lawyers when making final business decisions. She be a complete idiot if she didn't

So she fires people she doesn't like. So. What.

She puts herself on a pedastal. So. What.

Is anyone being harmed in the name of Oprah?

Does Oprah harm anyone?

Vanity isn't a crime,

There are far worse people in the world. Expose them,

• DJK
    DJK

The business world knows all to well, you gotta spend money to make money!

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

While I still occasionally visit the church of Oprah, I'm becoming increasingly bored with her new age rhetoric.

tall penguin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit