Long long loooong WT paragraphs

by Lady Lee 18 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have edited a few books. I have proof-read a few books.

I have written many articles in college and university. I would have lost a lot of points for run on sentences and paragraphs.

Right now I am formatting an old WT booklet called World Conquest Soon by God’s Kingdom from 19 57. I have 1 paragraph that goes from page 23 - 31.

ONE paragraph!

I remember those really long run-on senteneces they used to write also.

Equivalent to a college university? I think not

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I never understood why some have a phobia of paragraph breaks. Now maybe I'm just a product of a more easily distracted generation, but nobody had to knock me over the head with a stick to grasp the value of white space.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Edgar Allen Poe wrote huge run-on sentences and paragraphs - I don't think he was a JW was he?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

OMG I just finished formatting

a 31 page booklet hads 3 paragraphs

I even resized the font to see if I missed something.

White space is needed to give the person time to break up the thoughts. It is relaxing to the eye and to the mind

Edgar Allen Poe wrote huge run-on sentences and paragraphs - I don't think he was a JW was he?

maybe he is a ghost writer

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

IMO, they are designed to confuse the readers and to overwhealm them. Lots of words, looping sentences, and no real point is ever made.

• blondie
    blondie

If you were a JW within the last 15 to 20 years you might not remember the WT study articles that would be 40 to 50 paragraphs. Now they break each article down to about 3 to 4 pages (19 to 25 paragraphs) instead of stopping midstream on one Sunday and picking up 6 to 9 paragraphs from one article and starting another.

I called it the "Fred Franz" effect.

Also, you will note that in those days they would quote whole scripture references for 2 paragraphs whereas now they settle for citing it or a small snippet.

*** w70 2/15 p. 116 par. 50 "With All That You Acquire, Acquire Understanding" ***

The Bible is the most absorbing and interesting book on earth, the most profitable to read and study.

• moggy lover
    moggy lover

Yep. I remember those WT studies of the 50s which seemed to go on interminably. Not only were they long, but they were optuse beyond belief. Freddy Franz in his prime could marshall the English language to such syntactical levels that made his studies virtually incomprehensible. He had a genius for taking the simplest of concepts, and with the masterful use of ambiguity, make it genuinely impenetrable.

His motto seemed to be: Why make it simple, when its so simple to make it complicated.

Actually my sympathies went out to those poor jerks who had the unenviable task of translating his words into another language. For that alone Franz should have been indicted for crimes against humanity.

Cheers

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

good grief. No wonder people say it is dummied down.

What on earth are people going to do with the Babylon book?

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

here here

Yep. I remember those WT studies of the 50s which seemed to go on interminably. Not only were they long, but they were optuse beyond belief. Freddy Franz in his prime could marshall the English language to such syntactical levels that made his studies virtually incomprehensible. He had a genius for taking the simplest of concepts, and with the masterful use of ambiguity, make it genuinely impenetrable.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

• When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but he who restrains his lips is prudent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit