Questions about the WTS and the UN

by Leander 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leander
    Leander

I just learned about the Society's connection with the UN and I'm shocked. I had been experiencing doubts before but this new information is like a slap in the face. Before I begin with the questions I should probably start with a introduction.

I'm a 29 year old married man serving as a minsterial servant in the south suburbs of Chicago. I was born and raised in the truth initially by my mother and father. My father had many problems with drugs, adultery and other undesirable habits and he was eventually disfellowshiped. A few years later after the birth of my younger brother he left the family. My mother continued attending the meetings and did her best to raise my brother and myself up as witnesses.

I became a baptized witness at the age of 13 shortly after I had entered into high school. I had my share of issues as most young people my age did. I think one of the biggest issues that teens have to face is dealing with peer pressure and sex, at least it was in my case. Although I never actually committed fornication I came as close as you can get. This eventually caught up with me and the elders in my congregation put me on private reproof. I have to say that the brothers were very loving and they did'nt try to make me feel like a criminal but they really were sincere in looking after my interests. Unfortnately some of my friends had to deal with elders who were very harsh when it came to spiritual discipline.

After that little incident I tried my best to stay on the right course. I eventually was appointed as a ministerial servant in my congregation and I did fairly well for a few years. However being young and still trying to fight sexual desires was a big challenge for me. I ended up again coming very close to committing fornication. Even though I did'nt actually have sex with the women I was involved with the things that I did do would have been enough to be considered for reproof or disfellowshipping. I felt very bad about what I had done but I did'nt tell the elders I instead prayed about it and tried to do my best in the congregation by continuing with field service, talks and meeting attendance.

I eventually met a sister from another congregation. She was the daughter of the presiding overseer and a regular pioneer, her family had a reputation as being very strong spiritually. We began dating and eventually were married about 4 years ago. Things were fine for the first 3 years but then I began having doubts. I kept them to myself and tried to remain content in the fact that I was with God's organization. The doubts were still there however and I eventually began doing research by means of the internet. I was very skeptical at first about what I was reading because as witnesses we are constantly being warned about apostate literature that could damage our spirituality. But as I continued to do research I realized that there were a lot of things that the society had kept quiet about. Also the constant changing of doctrine and the many failed predictions and understandings about certain dates made my doubts increase.

Just recently as of 2 weeks ago on a Thursday night I told my wife about how I felt. I had casually hinted to her about my feelings previously but this was the first time that I was really frank with her about all of my findings. I showed her various publications where the society had placed emphasis on the date of 1975 as being a year of significance. The society did not flat out say that 1975 would be the end of the system of things as some friends had previously thought. However they did place a lot of emphasis on that date and they even went on to say that armageddon would occur in a matter of weeks or months within the date of October 1975. My wife basically dismissed my findings by saying that the Society was infallible and that they never claimed to be a perfect human organization. I countered by saying if the Society is truly inspired by God how is it possible they would have incorrect information. We discussed my doubts about the organization for at least another 2 hours that night before going to bed emotionally exhausted. The next day on Friday my wife said very little to me. When we got home later that evening from work she talked to her father about our conversation despite the fact that I had asked her not to discuss it with anyone before I had a chance to speak with the elders in my congregation.

Naturally I was a bit upset and I told her so, after she left to attend the meeting that Friday night I made the decision that I was'nt going back to the Kingdom Hall. I had planned on letting the Presiding Overseer know that I was stepping down as a minsterial servant the next day.

Saturday morning came around and I decided to try and make an effort to share my feelings again with my wife. We went for a drive and tried to talk but she eventually broke down in tears and we cut our drive off short that morning. I ended up spending the day with a few of my close friends, I figured that once it became known I was'nt attending meetings anymore I'd have little to no contact with them.

Sunday morning my wife left for the Kingdom Hall and I stayed at home to try and sort out my thoughts on this whole matter. Later that afternoon when she came home she told me that she had began crying during the meeting. One of the elders happened to notice and he took her aside and asked if everything was ok. After listening to what the issue was the elder and my brother-in-law who is also an elder told my wife that they would come by my home to speak with me. Again I was disappointed that all of this was being carried before I was ready to deal with it. But under the circumstances I could understand why my wife was feeling so emotional.

About an hour after my wife had returned home from the meeting and related to me what transpired the elders knocked on the door. The meeting with them was not as bad as I thought it might have been. I tried to be honest and I told them about my doubts and about the research I had done. They mildly reminded me I should'nt have been looking at negative teachings and they answered my questions as best as they could. Unfortunately their answers were basically a rehash of what I already knew, (wait on Jehovah, the light is getting brighter, the brothers are imperfect) despite it all I decided I would try to be patient and reapply myself to studying, meeting attendance and the field ministry.

Well here it is 2 whole weeks later and I'm still plagued with nagging doubts. Anyway to kind of wrap this story up I began going back to the internet to look up information and thats when I learned about the UN and the Society. I'm pretty convinced at this point that I know what I need to do but unfortunately the decision is still difficult.

If you've read this far thanks for listening.

The questions that I mention in the outset of this post are:

Why has knowledge of this relationship not been made known before now?

Has the Society admitted or acknowledged their relationship with the UN?

Are all religious organizations required to have some type of connection with the UN?

Could the fact that the Society has international interests mean that its a necessity to have links with the UN?

Thanks for any help on answering these questions

• JBean
    JBean

Hi brother... I truly feel for you. I am in the exact same spot emotionally as you are. And I mean EXACT... although no husband to share feelings with. I've only been online for a week or so... but "lurked" for months and months on this site. If you decide to keep on, you'll find many interesting, albeit sometimes upsetting, posts on this board. I've learned so much already. I'm taking the suggestion that my non-JW boyfriend has given me... take the good from your faith, and mix it with what your heart and conscience dictates to you...but DON'T tell anyone!!! :) I have to do it this way right now because I'm scared to death of losing my JW friends and family... just scared to death. And afraid of what it will do emotionally and physically to my mom & dad.

• Leander
    Leander

JBean - I hope everything works out well for you. Its really difficult to even think about having to be alienated from all of your friends and family.

I'm seriously considering selling home and relocating to another part of the city. I just feel like starting my life over by myself.

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

Because folks who do not conspire with the WTS to coverup its crimes just recently discovered such.

Not in any WTS publications, which everyone knows are voluminous.

Are all religious organizations required to have some type of connection with the UN?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! NGO ASSOCIATION WITH ANY UN "SECTION" IS STRICTLY VOLUNTARY.

Could the fact that the Society has international interests mean that its a necessity to have links with the UN?

Is it a "necessity" to visit and have illicit sex with a prostitute just because you have hormones?

• roybatty
    roybatty

Leander,

Wow, I know exactly where you’re coming from. I was raised “in the truth”, married a pioneer and even pioneered myself. A couple of years ago, I was in the exact position you are now in but I was an elder. BTW, I’m in the western suburbs of Chicago. I’ve been to the southern burbs a few years back giving public talks. Anyway, one thing that you did that was the right decision was talking to your wife about it. You were honest with her and she has to admire that. I, on the other hand, kept it a secret for too long and it eventually lead to us parting ways. I’m sure that you don’t want a divorce, so continue to be open and honest with her. On the other hand, you aren’t under any obligation to share your feelings or findings with the elders. Once they figure out that you’ve discovered the real truth about the WT, they will have one goal and that is to “protect the flock.” If you decided to follow the real truth, you’ll be faced with a decision, should you go out with a bang or a whisper? Since I was an elder so my actions were closely watched and when I was DA’d it was partially as a warning to others. You’ll have to decide what’s best for yourself. Again, prepare yourself mentally for “attacks” by the elders. You’ll be surprised that people (and family) whom you’ve known all your life will turn their back on you or even “attack” you.
    Be strong and hold to you convictions. To put it bluntly, the WT has lied to you for years and you should be pissed about it. However, don’t bombard your wife with too much information all at once. A little bit at a time is much easier to swallow. Also, don’t just study up on anti-JW stuff. There are some really good, non-JW Bible based literature out there that will open you some new and exciting ideas. Good luck! (lol! I remember when I couldn’t say that)

roybatty

• openminded
    openminded

We are in the same boat Leander. we are close in age. Only I have a young son to consider. The whole situation is lose/lose. Trying to convince the spouse has been a waste of time for me. She is completly closed off to reason. Sad x 10

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

Hi Leander. Thanks for posting.

>>>"Why has knowledge of this relationship not been made known before now?"

As far as I can tell, we only just became aware of this issue within the last month or so. My understanding is someone "stumbled" upon the UN-NGO website, wherein the WTS is listed as an ngo. The investigation took off from there.

>>>"Has the Society admitted or acknowledged their relationship with the UN?"

Absolutely not.

>>>"Are all religious organizations required to have some type of connection with the UN?"

Absolutely not. It was a completely voluntary motion by the WTS, who solicited the UN for association.

>>>"Could the fact that the Society has international interests mean that its a necessity to have links with the UN?"

There is no denying this move aids the WTS with their international interests, but that does not make such an association a necessity. As I mentioned, this was a voluntary step taken by the WTS.

Bottom line, the WTS has entered an agreement to "support" the organization they claim to be the scarlet beast/disgusting thing. They have committed to support the beast, and devote a portion of their information programme (ie: WT journals) to promoting the beast's agenda.

For me, the problem is not supporting the UN; for me the problem is the gross hypocrisy.

TS,

• Leander
    Leander

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one going through this kind of emotional drama.

Roybatty - At this point I'm not sure if I even want to remain married. Thats probably a cruel thing to say but lately I've been wanting to just leave all of this madness behind and take some time to heal myself alone. I really feel bad about the fact I'm even thinking this way, but I feel like as a 29 year old man I have'nt really lived. Not to say that I want to party and go wild, its just that I feel like so many experiences I could have had were denied me as a witness.

I've never lived on my own, I've never travelled like I wanted to, I was encouraged to steer clear of college. There are so many things that I never did in trying to please and organization. Now I'm at the point where I want to enjoy my life and make the most of it.

• messenger
    messenger

Your post will be one of many in the near future as the UN issue continues to develop. I think it is like the last straw for brothers and sisters who have went beyond the call of duty to remain loyal. Loyalty has its limits, it is like a bad marriage, there is only so much you can take and then you have to stop living a lie.

Your wife has ratted you out twice now and sad to say she will be primary witness at your apostasy hearing. From your story it seems obvious where her loyalty lies. If you do not want to be da or df you had better clam up and lie your ass off about how much you love the GB. It should not be hard to do when you think about it, as a JW you have lived a double life since you were born it is the only way you can survive. So just play the game, quietly slip away by attending less meetings on a gradual basis. This will allow you to be around your wife’s family when they have get togethers and speak to people you have known all your life. Never breath another word to your wife about this issue, let her find it for herself if she chooses to someday investigate WT issues.

I offer this as just a suggestion, just please do not make any fast decisions. Wt programming is such that the first reaction is to da yourself. It is a type of panic reaction and it will pass with time. Give yourself time to think all this out without WT calling the shots before you have time to get your bearings.

Regarding your questions:

I think no one could conceive the notion that the Society would be in bed with the UN. But the darn Internet exposed it through the UN website, more reason for the WT to want to keep you away from it. Hard cold facts are so hard to suppress. The Society has purposely kept this covered up to the Witnesses and now it appears it has come back to bite them.

If you read the thread, calls to Brooklyn have yielded, “we have to investigate this” answers.

Absolutely not! It is a voluntary application that is filled out with several agreements to support the UN.

A better word is expedient not a necessity. It served WT interests to join to keep up with the world situation. It is much like joining the Democratic Party to better keep up with politics. Does that make it ok by WT standards?

The end of it is WT is busted on this. They can’t spin this one to look ok. What will they do? I think much like the 75 debacle they will hunker down and say nothing, then about two years from now we will get an article about how “some” had run ahead of the organization and thought WT had joined the UN. We never were members we just used the UN to help the brothers and sisters around the world.

Like 75 most JW's will say, "whatever, let’s go out in service." So it goes.

• roybatty
    roybatty

Leander,

>>Roybatty - At this point I'm not sure if I even want to remain married.<<

I know where you’re coming from. My then wife was snooping through my desk one day and found all of my “apostate” literature (Crises of Conscience, internet stuff, etc). She took it out in back and burned it all! She then called the elders and expressed her concern that I was a “spiritual threat” to her. Dam, I was pissed at her! My feeling toward her was “ok, you want to throw away our marriage, fine, let’s do it.” Looking back, I can see that both her and I made our decision based upon emotions. But once you “get the ball rolling” it’s hard to stop it. I’m just not 100% sure that it was the right decision. I can’t tell you what to do, all I can suggest it to really, I mean REALLY think about divorce and what it will mean. I know what you’re feeling about never living on your own, being steered away from college, etc, I went through the same deal. Heck, I even quit college with only a 1-1/2 years left. But just remember that your wife is brainwashed, she’s doing what she thinks is right. Just don’t make a decision that you’ll later regret. If you want to e-mail me, please feel free to.

roybatty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit