Stereotype of people from regions in the USA

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

flyinghighnow said:

Sounds like you need to read up on dialect and culture. I find your comments about southerners and the elderly rather ignortant. All regions have pecularities to their dialects. For instance, here in Michigan they "Quick run to the store." Or "Quick change their clothes." In Chicago they ask "Are you coming with?" Education? Dialect has little to do with education. I know very well educated people who still use the local dialect, at least some of the time.

Call us back when you hit 75, we'll see if you fit your age stereo type.

If everyone was the same it would be pretty boring. I found after working with the public and different cultures from around the world, you have to have a sense of humor and respect for your fellowman. There are those that act cruel, but you can get around them too. The elderly can be quite taxing on your patience, but hey I'll be old and crotchedy too one day and I hope people will be kind and understanding.

Juni

• free2beme
    free2beme

I had three grandparents, and they all kept a pretty good attitude. I say three, as one died when I was three, and never knew her. I say this, as I think it has a lot to do with how you lived your life. Most elderly people I know now, that are not real nice, did not change much from how they were as younger people.

The top three things that make elderly people angry and penny pinchers.

1. The male spouse dies and the female spouse is suddenly put into a position of money management she never had for 50 years.

2. They thought they could live 100% on Social Security.

3. They still have habits built up from the depression era.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I was born and raised in Northern New Jersey. Business moved me to the Mid-Atlantic States. I still have a very heavy "New Yawk" accent. Plus, being an Italian (100%), people automatically "assume" that I'm part of the Mafia. I've been asked many, many times point blank by people if I was in the Mafia. It got to the point that I just say, "If I was, do you really think I could tell you"?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit