Stereotype of people from regions in the USA

by free2beme 22 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Okay, before I worked in a call center that took calls from people from all over the country, I would have defended the idea of stereotyping people as 100% wrong and not possible. We are all Americans, all human beings and so on. Then I worked in a cell center and spoke to these people every day, in that time, I have learned the following to be sooooo true.

Florida - Is full of OOOOOOOLD people. They are cheap and call in about any little thing. You think a penny credit means nothing to you, a person from Florida will wait on hold 30 minutes to get it.

South People - My in laws lived in Louisiana for a year, and told me that there were education issues there. I always thought they were full of it. Until I had people from the south calling to pay with their VISERS! and explaining how they MASHED the right button on their computer. Also, my phone ERIKA (AREA) CODE IS 919. Also, they ask to have their services CUT on at the same time CUT off. When you tell them that their are behind our their bill, they say things like, "But I paid it three months ago!" and think that makes sense.

People from New York and New Jersey - If you ever want to know what someone thinks of you, or if they are happy or mad, if you know someone from these states. You don't need to ask, they will most likely already be telling you and be very bold about it.

... I could go on and on and sorry if you think any of these thoughts are mean. Oh, and people always tell me I am pronouncing my home state wrong. They call it ORE E GONE and I explain it is pronounced ORE GUN, and they feel everyone is our state is mispronouncing it. I guess I better WORSH my mouth out with soap and step off my soap box. It is Friday and I needed to vent.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I always enjoyed Southerners when I did call center work. Mississippians are funny. They pronounce it Meeseepee, LOL! Oh, and whenever somebody would tell me they were from Mississippi I would say "could you spell that?" and they would start and then catch themselves, 'oh ha ha very funny'.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

di'a·lec'tal adj., di'a·lec'tal·ly adv.
    Synonyms: These nouns denote forms of language that vary from the standard. Dialect usually applies to the vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation characteristic of specific geographic localities or social classes. The vernacular is the informal everyday language spoken by a people. Jargon is specialized language understood only by a particular group, as one sharing an occupation or interest. Cant now usually refers to the specialized vocabulary of a group or trade and is often marked by the use of stock phrases. Argot applies especially to the language of the underworld. Lingo is often applied to language that is unfamiliar or difficult to understand. Patois is sometimes used as a synonym for jargon or cant, but it can also refer to a regional dialect that has no literary tradition.

Sounds like you need to read up on dialect and culture. I find your comments about southerners and the elderly rather ignortant. All regions have pecularities to their dialects. For instance, here in Michigan they "Quick run to the store." Or "Quick change their clothes." In Chicago they ask "Are you coming with?" Education? Dialect has little to do with education. I know very well educated people who still use the local dialect, at least some of the time.

Call us back when you hit 75, we'll see if you fit your age stereo type.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

It was a "blow-my-mind" episode when we visited our Louisiana cousins after they moved to and lived in Missouri for a while. Talk about the mixture of colloquialisms!! It was "where y'at?" (how're you doin') and "Yall gonna put me down (let me out of the car) here?" I could barely understand what they were saying half the time.

• free2beme
    free2beme

I know what you mean about Louisiana, I was at the New Orleans airport and I speak a little french. I was sitting next to a lady who spoke Cajun French and could not make out one word. I don't know how anyone could.

Sounds like you need to read up on dialect and culture.

Lack of education and ignorance is not dialect. I will question you 75 comment when I am there, but come Monday I will enjoy my 40 plus calls from elderly people telling me they can not afford a one cent increase and yet they have two homes, one in the north and one in Florida.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I know what you mean about Louisiana, I was at the New Orleans airport and I speak a little french. I was sitting next to a lady who spoke Cajun French and could not make out one word. I don't know how anyone could.

free2beme, you could always visit one of the websites where the Cajun dialect is featured. They define common Cajun phrases and words on those sites and there's even books you can buy that teach Cajun. I'll bet since you already speak a little French, it wouldn't be too difficult to learn.

Frannie

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

How to say ‘I Love You’ in 25 languages: English I Love You Spanish Te Amo French Je T’aime German Ich Liebe Dich Japanese Ai Shite Imasu Thai Phom rak khun Italian Ti Amo Chinese Wo Ai Ni Swedish Jag Alskar Alabama Arkansas Kansas Oklahoma Texas North Carolina South Carolina Georgia Tennessee Idaho Missouri Mississippi Montana Louisiana Virginia West Virginia Kentucky Parts of Florida….. …Nice Ass, Get in the truck! Swalker

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

I am a Southern California transplant living in a small hick town just North of Astoria Oregon on the Coast of Washington State. I'm sorry, but the people are so weird here at times. It is a fishing community, 1/2 the people are related and they have to import people to marry fresh.

I didn't realize all this stuff when we first moved here and dug myself a couple of holes with the locals. I made smashing comments about missing teeth (I'm talking the FRONT teeth), 15 beater cars in the front yard, yellow skin, etc and just that the people are plain strange. My local friend said, "I know. The problem is all those city folks moving in from California." I laughed but she was offended apparently so I have learned to keep my mouth shut around here.

My hubby calls it 'backyard'. I've heard some call it 'backasswards.' Both fit.

All in all I like it here though.

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Swalker....you are hillarious!

• troucul
    troucul

Political correctness has brought on a denial of stereotypes. This is amoral. There is a reason as to why Georgia, Alabama, and Meeseeseepee are referred to as the "the dirty South". Yes, Florida is for old people. People from Oregon do NOT have an accent. New Englanders and New Yorkers are rude and difficult to get to know. Californians are retardedly liberal. Arizonans long for the day of the wild west. Texans prefer to be their own country and like to shoot people. People from Kentucky are extremely good shots. (Hence, the term, "Kentucky windage.") No joke. I met a few people in the Army from Kentucky, and I believe it is in their blood. I know ONE smart person from Tennessee. He lives in California now. People from West Virginia have velvet paintings of Elvis in their living rooms, chew tobacco, and play the banjo on their front porch. West Virginians also have very large satellite dishes in their front yard. But they don't have running water. Every other state in the southeast US expects preachers to drive white Cadillacs. New Mexicans are prunes. People from Ohio are boring. Wisconsans, Illinoians, Arkansans, are also boring, yet pretentious. I haven't met anyone nor been to the other states, so I'll reserve judgement on those until I go there or meet someone from there. Oh, and by the way, I hate people from Ontario. You are the rudest people I have ever met. If a group of 125 people go to a comedy club to laugh a comedian's jokes, shut your fat mouth. People don't go to comedy clubs to get mad, they go to have a good time. Jerks. The Dutch are jerks too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit