circular logic

by DIM 14 Replies latest jw friends

• DIM
    DIM

Thanks Farkel - this was more an excercise for me to wake up along with my cup of coffee. by the way, you may remember me as "disko" from the old H2O board....I sent you an email about 2 years ago, and I've come along way with all of the information you (along with others) provide

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Dim,

While 2 Tim 3:16 does indeed say that "All scripture is inspired of God..." it does not go on to call itself SCRIPTURE or for that matter to name any other books as scripture. 1 Tim 3:15 says that the CHURCH, not Scripture is the pillar and foundation of truth. 2 Peter 3:16 comes the closest to naming any NT book as scripture when it accusses people of twisting Paul's writings as it does "the rest of the scriptures" but still does not go on to name any specific writings as being scripture.

Xena,
    What proof would you have other than faith? We know scripture to be scripture based on the traditions of the Early church,and in it's unity. But faith is proof to those who have it, but can never be proof to those without it.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Xena
    Xena

Yerusalyim - per Webster faith is "firm belief in something for which there is NO proof"

Faith is not proof it is a condition of the mind. It is what people without proof use to feel good about their decision to believe in something that they have NO PROOF for.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Xena,

Again, what PROOF would you have? I take the bibles definition of faith which says faith proof. Trust me, my faith goes beyond FIRM Belief. I have a FIRM BELIEF that my wife will be faithful. I have FAITH that God is faithful. BIG DIFFERENCE.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Xena
    Xena

Yerusalyim, if that is all you need and it makes you happy then more power to you, personally I need more...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit