Trevor: Meditation

by onacruse 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• onacruse
    onacruse
    In one type of meditation the mind is able to be fully conscious without he intrusion of words, which lead to thoughts,

Trevor, I'm not trying to get on your ass here, but, please...

Thoughts without words? That is a fundamental epistemological impossibility...rather like farting without emitting gas.

Or, perhaps, we're talking about a purely personal "mystical" experience, which cannot be put into (and did not spring from, nor finds any possible formulation within) words? If so, then the palm-reader around the corner is just as good a way for me to spend $10.

"The obtuse one" (aka Craig)

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

He he...

Without a broader context I would construe "words" as the subject of "lead," putting "words" and "thoughts" on the same (bad) "side".

But... "mind" is usually lumped together with "words" and "thoughts" in JamesThomas' terminology...

Not "consciousness," though...

• VM44
    VM44

One can think in terms of sensory images, sights, sounds, and tactile sensations.

Animals might think in this manner, but then, who really knows how animals think?

--VM44

• onacruse
    onacruse

Skipping over Nark's post ():

One can think in terms of sensory images, sights, sounds, and tactile sensations.

"One can think in terms of..." Do you realize what you just said?

Animals might think in this manner, but then, who really knows how animals think?

Ouspensky had a thing or two to say about that.

• VM44
    VM44

"One can think in terms of..." Do you realize what you just said?

I was not precise in my statement.

--VM44

• RAF
    RAF

To me feelings don't need words ...
    (it even happen that you can't express a feeling in words good enough to express it) ... So

A baby can't really talk (but he can feel and think in his own way)

• trevor
    trevor

Trevor
    , I'm not trying to get on your ass here, but, please...Thoughts without words? That is a fundamental epistemological impossibility...rather like farting without emitting gas.
    Actually I said:

In one type of meditation the mind is able to be fully conscious without the intrusion of words, which lead to thoughts.

The whole point is to not allow words to enter the mind and start the thought process. It is the space that this uncovers that makes it possible to return to a default setting of calmness and peace. It is what silence is to noise. Sometimes this state of mind can cause emotions to enter the mind that have been held back by the activity of word driven thought. People who first attempt meditation find a lot of debris rising to the surface.

It is not rocket science, in fact it is not science at all. It is about developing the ability to still the thinking process and make room for the awareness of the other factors that may be affecting our lives.

I have nothing to sell or prove here just something to share which will no doubt bypass many people. If you ever achieve the state of mind I am explaining then will be words redundant.

• VM44
    VM44

Cats think and feel.

They are highly intelligent and perceptive creatures, even though they might not "think using words".

--VM44

• VM44
    VM44

onacruse, OK, I guess I can't think right now! What did I say? --VM44

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ona, i guess if a person hasn't done it a time or two, it all sounds like a gobbledegooken list of words. It's not religious, or even a proof of anything.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit