Why Is There a Seemingly Large Percentage of X JW Jerks?

by XJW4EVR 33 Replies latest jw friends

• mia_b
    mia_b

another problem as well as the obvious where people will say things they may not say face to face is that you may not realise the "tone" in which the post is meant. some hav a dry sense of humor or think they are humorously sarcastic which may just be read by you as "jerk" but they didnt mean it to be read that way.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

We're just a bunch of mixed up cookies. Some with nuts and some without nuts. Or life is like a box of chocolates! . . .

Masterpiece Collection I You'll never guess whos site this is from!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

THAT's what I'm talkin about!!!

People have good days and bad days, and many use an online medium to vent, as there's a level of anonymity. I don't think exJWs are any different in this regard.

Fwiw, I think our own attitude can make a huge difference, especially if we get into the habit of "projecting" our emotions onto other people's posts. Its easily done, as we miss a lot of visual clues in dry text that you would pick up face to face, such as a twinkle in the eye when someone is gently winding us up.

I've sometimes been surprised when some of my comments have been taken the wrong way, and before you know it (sometimes over a period of a few hours) things have escalated and feelings are hurt. Fortunately it doesn't happen very often, but sometimes you have to throw your hands up and say "people is people...". I try to be wary of that possibility, and so check my emotions at the door.

So, "you TALKin to me??!!"

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

<--- Jerk???---<

• winnie
    winnie

I generally find that because on most forums you can remain anonymous, that people feel 'safe' in saying things they would not dare say to a persons face. Likewise on the phone. Dare them to say it to your face, and they will most times run the other way! This is my experience anyways. I always try not to say (or post) things that I would not say to their face, because if I can't or won't say it face to face, then I don't say it at all.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Those that choose to leave
    Those that were forced to leave

Para. got right to the crotch of the answer to the above question. I've touched on this area before but I appreciate that it is a 'sensitive' subject. There are posters here who's backgrounds range from "Saints" to "Sinners". I think what is important for the effectiveness of this forum is that we try to stay focused on a common rejection of the WTS as an "honest" religion. The socializing aspect of this site, discussing sex, politics, corn bread recipes, etc. is no different than dropping into your standard chat room.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Ross:

So, "you TALKin to me??!!"

I have experienced the greatest emotional reliefs when I, against the strongest internal pressures to do otherwise, just stand back and say, "Ya know, Craig, you were a jerk...admit it first to yourself, and then, have the balls to admit the same to the rest of the people that you know."

That being said, I ain't no jerk! LOL

• becca1
    becca1

It takes all kinds...

• Undecided
    Undecided

Women have their m periods and men have their bad days, just don't let it jerk you around.

Ken P.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

If you were a jerk as a JW, then chances are, you are a jerk as an ex-jw.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit