I got the 'prodigal son' treatment from my parents last night

by mavie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Like Gary said, this was their attempt at extending an 'olive branch'. As you know, they believe they are doing this for your own everlasting good. (To a normal person, this would be condescending. But to a JW, it is "witnessing".)

My parents too have me at arm's length (except to witness to me). But with my dad (30+ year JW elder), I tried to level the playing field by telling him that I will respect his right to pursue what he believes is the truth, but I also expect him to respect my right to not pursue that same path. Surprisingly (or maybe because he didn't know what else to do), he backed down and agreed to that.

• mavie
    mavie

Thanks...I'm preparing a letter. I'm not going to play the yo-yo game. We love you, we hate you, we love you, etc. They still think I might come back, so I'll let them know once again I have no intention of ever doing that.

• mama1119
    mama1119

Thats a good idea Mavie. I hope they can accept that, for your sake. Good Luck!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings again Mavie,

:a highlighted 5 page print out from the Watchtower Library CD. Has anyone else been through this?

Yes. Everytime I'd ask one of the "knows everything elders" in the former congregation I was in, any kind of advice, that's what I'd get. A bunch of bold print bullshit from the watchtower cd. It's refreshing to think I'm not in with those numbnuts anymore.

Dismembered

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Hey Mavie, I just had this happen myself, though at least my mom took the time to write me that I was living in a "cesspit" and risking "my precious little boy's life" and a bunch of other crap. I wrote her a letter back that said thanks for the concern, I'm happier than I've ever been, and oh, by the way, if you send me another letter like that, all your letters to me will be marked "RETURN TO SENDER."

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

Mavie, If you do not like the letter, then shred it! If you do not have a shredder, get one!

• ferret
    ferret

At my father's funeral the C.O. spent the whole time talking about the prodigal son after about the first five minutes talking about my dad,(which were lies anyway). The talk about the prodigal son was directed at me. I never felt so much like punching someone in the mouth as I did that day. All my friends and non JW's felt the same way.

• Pwned
    Pwned

everytime i see my parents i have to endure the 5-10 minute speech "encouraging" me to return, that I shouldn't be afraid, etc. They also leave me the latest book which promptly finds its way to the recycling bin as soon as they leave. I don't ever say anything just listen, maybe roll my eyes. I wish we could actually have a debate but I am fairly certain that they would cut all ties if I said anything even close to criticism, we even turn around or hide our "objectianable" material when they come, ie Harry Potter, Crisis of Conscience, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit