I got the 'prodigal son' treatment from my parents last night

by mavie 17 Replies latest jw friends

• mavie
    mavie

Yep, I opened a letter and received a highlighted 5 page print out from the Watchtower Library CD. Has anyone else been through this? I find it somewhat insulting they think I'm lost and wasting my life.

I'm curious to see how others have responded to this kind of treatment.

• Rooster
    Rooster

You have already started 1 topic(s) in the last 1 day(s) out of your limit of 1.
    You cannot start another for 1 day(s) 1 hour(s) 33 min(s) when your oldest topic expires.

My father is dead & my mother doesn't speak to me @ least your parents speak to you.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    received a highlighted 5 page print out from the Watchtower Library CD

I hate long letters like that.

First of all, do they seriously think someone would carefully read the entire letter? When I write a letter, I try to keep it to one page.

Second, Copy and Paste letters are lame. Enough said.

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Dude, I'm sorry! My parents weren't high tech enuf to have the CD but I spent years getting every Watchtower article that made mention of the prodigal son I have to admit it pissed me off as well.

I find it amazing that they can read that parable and come away with justification for shunning and only fixate on the part about returning. WTF? Isn't the whole moral of the story about parents loving there son no matter what?

I have no good advice, you know how I've handled things with my parents and I can't say it's a recommended course of action. Just wanted you to know I can identify and have had similar experiences and reactions.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

(((mavie)))

sorry to hear that your parents wrote you a letter like that...

just a side thought, when I read the title of your thread, i was excited, I thought I was going to read about how your parents lovingly welcomed you back with open arms and threw a sumptious feast for you, and didnt expect any acts of repentence from you....

sorry to hear that they treated you like the pharisees that they emulate...

• Jourles
    Jourles

When I first read your thread title, I thought your parents welcomed you home with open arms. Sorry, I'm not sure how a highlighted WT article coorelates with the PS??

Anyways, I would tear out a few pages from the NWT, highlight some pertinent passages(the PS one would be good, Jesus dining with sinners, and anything else that would make them get in a tizzy), and then send those torn pages back to them. Tell them that the bible is the ultimate authority in your life and not some 32 page rag with predictable and often repeatable articles.

• mavie
    mavie

The 5 page article was about the prodigal son.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Mavie, Parents who would do that to an adult child possibly are retarded, defective on some level. They might need to be treated like a person suffering from Down's Syndrome or schizophrenia. It's not condensing to be kind, accepting, and non-confrontational to a child or to a retarded adult.

I believe both my parents are mildly retarded and they both operate on the emotional level of a third grader. They're afraid of the dark, they believe in ghosts and goblins, they are extremely superstitious, and they don't have any critical thinking ability at all. In addition to being retarded, my mother suffers from an untreated mental illness and my father is in total denial of this fact. There's no rational communication possible with them. They have not contacted me since the early 90's.

Once in the early 90's I was reading the Bible from cover to cover for the second time and I called my dad and I asked him what he thought about the texts about Jesus and about the way he sought out and associated with the sick and the sinners. He didn't have any answer and about three days later he left a message on our telephone answering machine giving me the dates and page numbers of Watchtower magazines to read as his answer to my question. That's the best he can do.

So Mavie, I'd maybe treat any passive contact as an olive branch from a retarded adult and reply with kindness and try to establish and keep rapport, not reply at all to the letter content itself.

• Jourles
    Jourles

OK, that explains it.

You should ask your parents if they will accept you back if you just show up on their doorstep. Or is it - will they accept you back if you show up on the doorstep of the kh? Tell them there is a difference between the two...

• becca1
    becca1

Or you could ask if they would meet you half way on their driveway and then call all their friends to celebrate!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit