What is Hell

by Mrs Smith 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Is the JW teaching on hell correct or is there a real hell fire? Has anyone done some research on this. This is one bible topic I just can't get my head around.

• Zico
    Zico

I think the most widely held interpretation now, is that hell is a place where you are seperated from God. You won't get a definite answer on this though, because the bible's not clear on it.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

You can start from here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/71230/1.ashx

Of course there was no united and official Jewish or Christian doctrine on this (or almost anything else), but the notion was widespread in the 1st century AD (with the notable exception of the Sadduceans, who also -- logically -- denied post-mortem reward and resurrection). The Synoptic Gospels clearly espouse a "hell"-like view of gehenna; the Pauline epistles and the Johannine corpus, otoh, have little room for it.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

In my opinion, hell is nothing more than a well devised plan, by organized religion, to keep the masses in line. doG-devil, black-white, good-bad, heaven-hell.

The best prison ever invented. No walls, no "guards", just the fear of going to hell.

Brilliant!!!!!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Prison - you end up there after when accused (eg "Who told you that you were naked ?")

Religions like jwism are the hell - accused are not pardoned - they're continuously paying their dues and kept there by the guards, appointed by the judge that the Accuser seeks out - their desire (that burns) is the end, but it doesn't come, as they are lied to about when the pardon is due (soon, just around the corner)

As you go with your accuser before the magistrate, make an effort to settle with him on the way, lest he drag you to the judge, and the judge hand you over to the officer, and the officer put you in prison.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Q: What is Hell?

A: a JW Assembly.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

What is hell?

Being married to my ex-husband!!

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Hell, is a word which points to a sense of reality so isolated and cut-off from life that death seems warm and beautiful. I've been there.

On the other hand: When we can walk out under a night sky and wordlessly sense the infinite wonder and awe of the expression of life and existence in and around us, it's crystal clear that there is no real hell, and never can be.

j

• under_believer
    under_believer

Heaven: carrot
    Hell: stick

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Hell is supressing your own innate dreams ("heaven"/"paradise")
    in favour of following the dreams and repeatedly erroneous interpretations of some dude sirnamed Russell, or in favour of heeding the erroneously projected irrational fears and unbalanced criticisms of whatever culture/society/family you happen to be born into in the stream of time.

Hell is a waste of life.

Hell is compulsively wading through a bazillion interpretations of hell worrying about what hell might be, instead of actively vibrantly LIVING your LIFE one breathtaking moment at a time!

When you've been to or through hell, you'll know.

When you've gotten stuck there, you'll know.

When you've made it through to the other side, you'll know. :)

Hell is focussing on "hell" and getting what you focus on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit