Is The Borg going back to “Old School” thinking & getting more hardcore?

by thedepressedsoul 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I’m still in and I can’t help but feel nervous as more and more changes are coming forward. Things that were hardcore in the 80’s or so got more relaxed over time. I can’t help but feel that they are starting to get more “hardcore” again. Let me explain.

In the past direction was given on everything. Movies you watch, music you listened to (Elder would go through your music) and so on. Higher education was a straight up no. It was almost like you couldn't go to college and be a witness. Certain styles were singled out and mentioned from the platform.

For a while I felt like they were getting away from that stuff. Higher education was a conscience matter, accepting types of blood was loosened, it was up to the individual what types of movies and music was listened to and they trusted that you were using bible principles to choose it on your own. Specific fashions or popularity was also getting less attention and it was up to the individual as long as it was modest.

The past year or so I feel like everything is going back to how it was, old school so to speak. Dress is being mentioned directly (tight pants Tony), higher education is getting slammed again, like really slammed. Just watch this month’s broadcast to see for yourself. Movies and TV shows are being mentioned by name again. Counsel has been brought back to the school to toughen Witnesses up I believe. 1914 is being drilled into people’s minds once again when for a while it was mentioned every so often. This week’s Watchtower slammed again the importance of blood. I just can’t help but feel that the grip is tightening and it’s going back to its roots. Service meetings are now being shortened so that people get out in the ministry faster.

I have a feeling a dark time is coming. I've been feeling it for the last year and a half and every announcement makes me feel even more so.

A quick question, am I correct that a handful of the GB use to be CO’s when things were a little more “hardcore”? I feel like they’re playing a big role in a lot of this grip tightening. We all know how much a pain those grip tight CO’s were and now some from that era are GB that were CO’s. 

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

It would appear that Tony Tightpants is making a bid for leadership. Most folk who are in corporate circles will recognise the signs. He's becoming a self-appointed troubleshooter, a constant presence in WT videos, a hard-liner on dissidents (always a popular trait amongst any electorate) and is permanently keeping himself at the front of any publicity. Some of the less pushy GB members might feel a little resentful that he's always in the loop, others will be fawning over him in the hope of getting some of the reflected glory.

It's a classic bid for self advancement!

• j dubb
    j dubb
    Movies you watch, music you listened to (Elder would go through your music) and so on.

This was not everyone's experience. The only time movies were mentioned by name from the platform was when somebody went off script. I know certain scifi/fantasy movies were mentioned as COs and higher ups in the circuit had their pet peeve movies to bug people about, but I know of no talk outline that mentioned movie titles. The only guideline that was mentioned through the years was not watching R rated movies or movies that featured 'demonism' or 'immorality' regardless of rating.

Never had an elder go through my music. If you went to Bethel, yea, that would happen.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

thedepressedsoul - "I have a feeling a dark time is coming. I've been feeling it for the last year and a half and every announcement makes me feel even more so."

You and a ton of other people, both in and out.

The WTS is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of a religious corporation shoring itself up for a very unpleasant near future; a "Great Tribulation", if you will.

Ironic, considering that according to WT eschatology, all the other religious in the world are supposed to go belly-up first.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I think this maybe a good thing the more hardcore they get the more people will see the hypocrisy and wake up. I afraid its going the other way and getting relaxed enough with little bible education that ones will not see the light or have a reason to wake up and just stay in.
  • sir82
    sir82

Tightpants Tony is either trying to posture himself as the de facto leader, or is intentionally acting the buffoon to draw attention from whoever [is / wants to be] the real leader.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Crazyguy - "I think this maybe a good thing the more hardcore they get the more people will see the hypocrisy and wake up. I afraid its going the other way and getting relaxed enough with little bible education that ones will not see the light or have a reason to wake up and just stay in."

Why not both?

Becoming increasingly hardline in its policies is virtually guaranteed to alienate any remaining liberally-leaning JWs with misgivings, subtly (and perhaps not-so-subtly) "encouraging" them to head for the exit, whilst the relaxations in actual "Bible study" and service requirements are making it easier for loyalists (who don't have a problem with hardline stances) to feel compelled to stay.

• Splash
    Splash
    j dubb The only time movies were mentioned by name from the platform was when somebody went off script. I know certain scifi/fantasy movies were mentioned as COs and higher ups in the circuit had their pet peeve movies to bug people about, but I know of no talk outline that mentioned movie titles.

*** g83 7/8 p. 27 Christ or E.T.? *** E.T.—The Extra-Terrestrial burst on the scene in the United States this past summer, attracting theater audiences in record numbers... 

Despite its seemingly Christian message, however, the movie subtly condones youthful misbehavior. In an early scene we find youths playing “Dungeons and Dragons” in a smoke-filled room with a lighted cigarette on the table. Later on, when E.T. gets drunk sampling beer, and Elliott in telepathic sympathy feels the effects, it is all portrayed as something cute. Further, some of the language used by these children is gross profanity. This, along with the supernatural aspects of the movie, has bothered many Christians.

*** g85 5/22 p. 23 My Basketball Career—Replaced by Two Other Loves! *** One night I went to a movie with a friend. It was called The Omen. One of those scary science-fiction-type movies. It involved the demons. When I walked out of that movie, I was scared to death. It was about Satan’s child.

Splash
  • Splash
    Splash

They also came down on music.

*** g93 2/22 p. 26 Can Music Really Hurt Me? ***

Take heavy-metal music—a particularly noxious form of hard rock that is usually played at ear-splitting volume. Heavy-metal bands typically sport names like Poison, Skid Row, Guns N’ Roses, and Slayer. Time magazine said: “The band names alone conjure up images of mayhem, torture and death.” The same can be said of the horrifying artwork that adorns the album covers and that often depicts satanic symbols.

Splash
  • thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    Wow great references Splash! I worry things are going back to that time. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit