My little brother

by PaulJ 14 Replies latest jw friends

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Hi all! Woo! how are you all doing?

Anyway, a crazy thing happened yesterday. My little brother came online and we chatted. Thats the first time ive spoken to him in 2 years! He is still a JW along with my dad and I havent spoken to either of them in that time.

Now he is back in contact I dont know quite how to behave. I dont want to offend him or I prob wont hear from him again.

But at the same time the big protective brother in me just wants to shake him out of this brainwashed state of delusion!

we did talk about religion a bit, tho I didnt go into anything. The point I did put across was that everything that he does should be between him and god- no one else matters (including elders etc) I just wanted him to remember that. Belief in god or anything is fine by me, but follwing trivial rules of the JWdom isn't right. Just by saying that I hope I put a little point across if nothing else.

So what should I do? Any subtle little approaches anyone can suggest? If this was someone elses thread I could probably reel off a few, but because I'm 'emotionally attached' to this situation its really hard to do that! Any feedback would be gratefully received!

Thanks. As ever you are all stars!

PaulJ

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Not knowing anything more about your situation, I see two scenarios (I'm sure there are many more).

1) He's seeing the truth about the "truf" and no longer sees you as an enemy.

2) They've convinced him about how close the end is and he's reaching out to save you.

If either of those is the case, it seems to me that your best tack to take is to just be yourself and let him guide the conversation. Stand up for your convictions if he gets preachy, but be alert for signs that maybe he wants to hear a little more on why you don't believe that crap anymore.

Either way, good luck.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

'2' is more likely but he wasn't full on preacher mode, he seemed quite genuine- maybe thats the trap!!! Anyway I definitely think letting him lead the conversations is the best and simplest way to go.

• helncon
    helncon

Hi Paul

Now he is back in contact I dont know quite how to behave. I dont want to offend him or I prob wont hear from him again.

I had the same problem last year my brother stopped talking to me a few years ago and out of the blue he rang me up and asked for some help with our mums new house.

At the moment we really only speak if he rings up and make the effort so basically i have left it up to him and his wife to make any contact.

So my advice well its really up to you if you want more contact but just don't talk about the JW but one day he may come around and realise that his is missing his big brother.

Helen

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Thats great you're able to talk to him again- is he the musician? (If so he's really good) I don't really have any advice but I hope it works out for the best and I wish you luck helping him see through it all.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Man that's tough, cuz anything you say will catch his attention and alert him to the fact that you've been using the Internet Machine and getting edumacated about false religion. But you can't just let him go, I know.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Look for good things to tell him about yourself. Have you completed college or are you going? Tell him something interesting you've learned. Have you developed a hobby? Tell him how you enjoy it. Maybe some things that you are doing that sound like fun would be just the thing to help him to see that life is not over once you are away from the borg.

He is reaching out to you. You have a wonderful opportunity to have him in your life. Through him maybe other family members will soften. At any rate, he has the right to his beliefs, just as you do. Tread carefully. He has taken one step in the right direction, against their teachings, that of contacting you. You may have a chance as time goes by to feed him tiny bits of information heading him in the right direction. Don't be hasty.

Tell him how proud you are of him, also. He doesn't get much but guilt from the WTS as we all know.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ
    is he the musician?

Hi Mis-

No, the musician brother is a rock and roll legend int he making (so he tells me...) he left the truth before me!

Ok, in a nutshell- theres 6 in my family. Me, Mum, Mark (Musician) and Diddy (Diane) we are all 'out' and my dad and youngest brother are still 'in'. Mum and Dad arent together anymore.

So, theres not been any contact between me and them (youngest bro and Dad) for around 2 years. So this little development I plan to take slowly...

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

Well that is exciting news for you. How old is your brother? I guess that would tell how you would handle this situation. I agree with you in the beginning let him lead. Since you haven't talked in two years, you kind of need to begin a relationship again. You can always say a few things at a time, not all at once or he will stop talking, and you wouldn't accomplish a thing. Good luck..keep us informed how it is going.

Leslie

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Don;t talk about the religion I say...

It's so unimportant anyway - life is so much bigger than a crappy WT magazine.

Talk to him about things that *really* matter!!

Like family, precious memories, nature, marriage, girls, science, love, beer. All the good things in life that brothers should talk about.

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit