Where does one go from here?

by Wafe 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Wafe
  • Wafe
    Wafe

Sorry my computer is acting funny here is the story.

As some of you already know, I have decided to leave the organization. The problem is that I will lose all of my friends in the process with the exception of one that said he would stand by me no matter what. I need to find new friends but I don't think that I could go out 'into the world' as I still believe the Bible is what it claims and I am uncomfortable with going to another church.

Is there any way that I could get some advice?

Thanks!

• zarco
    zarco

Wafe,

Will you clarify your question?

• anewme
    anewme

Yes,what kind of advice do you seek?

Career?

Relationship?

Psychological?

Spiritual?

• done4good
    done4good

Wafe,

Don't take this the wrong way...Slow Down. Feeling this way after leaving is normal. Take time, do research. Come to your own conclusions. Just don't try to come to them too quickly.

j

• zarco
    zarco

Wafe,

If you are uncomfortable going to a church consider voluntering with an altruistic organization. We recently worked with Habitat for Humanity and the Special Olympics and we met outstanding individuals. We also have involved ourselves in the local community endeavors to help under privledged youth. One "aha" you will have is that the folks you meet at these events are there for the common good and not for selfish motive. And although many fine people are at the KH - the people you meet who volunteer their time for the "greater good" are for the most part outstanding people -with stable families, high morals, open minds and have a broad perspective to current events.

Give it a try and report back -

zarco

• done4good
    done4good

As far as making friends goes, here is a good place to start, but get out and do things with others. Yes, the stuff you wouldn't do because the bOrg said you couldn't.

j

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Is there any way that I could get some advice?

As long as you embrace beliefs in a vengeful tribal deity as your master, then expect to be imprisoned. It's the nature of the morbid beast.

j

• KW13
    KW13

Witnesses are used to having 'somewhere to go' and 'something to believe'.

The truth is, to have a happy and successful life you don't need either.

Many come here looking for some kind of structure and some kind of support, they find it and its difficult to leave. What does happen eventually is you reach a high point in the amount of times you post and visit this site. Eventually i think everyone has a choice where they can build a life for themselves and like myself if they want, still come here after a break.

The main attraction here is people who know what you know, because elsewhere unless your lucky you won't find many who understand what you've been through.

I would use this forum as your next step rather than diving into another religion/faith or trying anything that requires commitment on your part.

Learn as much as you can about yourself without pressure and enjoy freedom.

• Gopher
    Gopher

I agree with done4good about taking it slow.

When leaving JW's you can feel a void. A lot of us went through the stage where we looked for a substitute church or belief (or, heck, even a TV evangelist). After a while though, you will likely come to see that spirituality can be a very personal thing, not to be guided or commanded by some other human (or organization). After all, how would they know any better about life's important questions -- they're only guessing / bluffing if they pretend to know more than you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit