Purpose for the Earth

by zarco 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zarco
    zarco

After re- reading at the suggestion of AuldSoul the context of John 10:16 and Ephesians 2: 1-22 I can now see the the other sheep are the Gentiles believers and indeed Jesus is speaking to the Pharisees in John 10. My question is:

What is God's purpose for the earth?

zarco

• minimus
    minimus

Perhaps it is a testing ground for heaven as Hebrews suggests.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

If one assumes that Earth has a "purpose", instead of simply "being", this then begs the question "What is the "purpose" of all the other planets and stars?"

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Assuming the earth has a purpose, might it not be to support life. To provide a habitat for life where food and shelter are available.

A similiar question might be, " What is the purpose of my house?"

It is interesting that my house was created with a human family in mind. Many people feel that way about the solar sytem.

If however the solar system was not created for us but we are here because the solar system is just right for us, ie, we,(earth creatures),are the only form of life that could exist here, then the solar system is not like a house and more like a cave.

Then the question would be,"What is the purpose of my cave?"

To which I would answer nothing more than I ascribe to it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You may find http://jwfacts.com/index_files/earthforever.htm helpful. The bible in general says that the earth will be destroyed, such as

Isaiah 51:6 “Raise YOUR eyes to the heavens themselves, and look at the earth beneath. For the very heavens must be dispersed in fragments just like smoke, and like a garment the earth itself will wear out , and its inhabitants themselves will die like a mere gnat. But as for my salvation, it will prove to be even to time indefinite, and my own righteousness will not be shattered.” .

This logically fits with science, as there is no doubt that the sun will consume all its energy. It would be against the laws of the universe for God to tinker with this eventuality.

The Bible discusses a new earth, but has little detail as to who or what it will be used for.

Revelation 21:1-2 “And I saw a new heaven and a new earth ; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. 2 I saw also the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit