Whats the "rule" on shepherding calls?

by ButtLight 24 Replies latest jw friends

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I dont remember that much, but arent they suppose to stop by at least once a year to df'd ones? Or did that change?

Its coming up to two years now since I was df'd, and not one elder has stopped by...........not that I want them to!

Has anyone else that is df'd ever gotten one?

• JH
    JH

What I find funny is that, if JW's don't go out in the field service enough or at all, they get a visit from the elders, BUT the elders don't apply that rule to themselves.

The elders would have to go visit the inactive ones and DF'd ones once a year, because I already heard that from the elders at the hall.

And they don't always do it !

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Buttlight,

This is a quote from the "pay attention" book, referring to visiting df'd ones

Once a year the body of elders reviews a list of those in
    the congregation territory who are disfellowshipped or

disassociated. They will call on each one they select in
    order to see if he wants to return. (w91 4/15 pp. 22-3)

The body will assign two elders to make each call,
    preferably elders familiar with the case.

During a brief visit or two, the elders can kindly explain
    what the individual can do to return.

They will report the results to the Congregation Service
    Committee, and the body will be informed at the next
    meeting of the elders.

http://www.dbhome.dk/carlo/unit5c2.htm

I guess they are failing in their duty as far as you are concerned. Personally, we asked them not to bother us, and they haven't

dedpoet

• Zico
    Zico

They don't do shepherding calls often because it's more work! They already have a lot to do. I've never had a shepherding visit, even though my Dad asked them to speak to me, and I've even seen a list of young 'weak' people wrote by the elders, with each one 'assigned' two elders to speak to them. My two have never spoken to me, not even to make general conversation since I saw this list 3 months ago. I'm not complaining either though! Did you even get one Shepherding call a year when you were in the religion? 'What I find funny is that, if JW's don't go out in the field service enough or at all, they get a visit from the elders, BUT the elders don't apply that rule to themselves.' If an elder is irregular or has poor hours I believe the CO will expect an explanation during his visit.

• JH
    JH
    They will call on each one they select

Does this mean that we aren't all worthy?

God is impartial, so should they...

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

hmmm, I think they took me off the list! Maybe they got wind that I hang around some "gogetter" apostates, and thats why?

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    They will call on each one they select

Does this mean that we aren't all worthy?

They don't call on me because:

1. I'm not a "yes man".
    2. I didn't donate money when I was a member, so there's no hope of their getting any money out of me in the future either.
    3. I can prove they're liars using their own bible and literature. Outside material is a bonus.

They only call on the people they think will fall for their crap again.

W

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

An ex elder or a stilla will have to correct me - but they dropped this visiting rule. Now they only call if someone advises them that they may have had a change of heart and be repentant - who that someone would be when family members cant talk to you is i do not know.

Butty-babes if I was an elder I'd be round every weekend seeing if you had erm changed your heart, hairstyle, pants - any excuse would do!

• parakeet
    parakeet

ButtLight wrote: "I dont remember that much, but arent they suppose to stop by at least once a year to df'd ones? Or did that change?"

Considering how many have left the JWs, there probably aren't enough hours in the day for elders to call on all of them once a year. Second, most elders couldn't care less about the welfare of the DF/DAed. It's way easier for them to pump up the numbers by baptizing children.

I've been "inactive" for more than 25 years -- not one phone call, letter, or visit from the elders in my old cong. So don't hold your breath waiting for the "shepherds" to come searching for their lost "sheep."

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    they dropped this visiting rule. Now they only call if someone advises them that they may have had a change of heart and be repentant - who that someone would be when family members cant talk to you is i do not know.

The km 9/06 still had the annual reminder for the elders. However, they rarely follow this advice as I already pointed out in another thread;
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/124914/2294570/post.ashx#2294570

"There is a rule to visit DA/DFed once a year.. We did a survey on the German board for people DFed/DAed:
    http://www.sektenausstieg.net/smf/index.php?topic=8997.0

44.4% replied that no elder has ever visited them despite they would have expected it.

Another 42.6% replied that elders did not visit them and they assume that is because those elder see no hope they would ever return.

Only 13% got any visits of which 7.4% said that elders ceased visiting them. 5.6% said that they told the elders on their first visit to leave them alone.

So much for shepherding the flock."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit