What will Jehovah's Witnesses do when they realize they've been lied to

by cultswatter 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Being lied to is the equivalent of receiving "new light". Those who don't keep up with Jehovah's changing mind, er, I mean, Holy Spirit, are left behind.

"What will you do when Armageddon would comes and you find out you have been fighting against Jehovah?" - unbaptized

That's how most Witnesses see things. I see no major revolt on the horizon, just a lingering existence.

Dave

• RWC
    RWC

Mavie, Without getting this discussion into an area that is too far off topic, what is the reasoning you use to say that the ice caps could not have existed before the flood?

• Wafe
    Wafe

Actually mavie dating ice is really not valid as it cannot consider environmental changes (such as global warming, nuclear tests, etc) In fact much of the dating used by scientists is not beyond questioning.

Take for example radiocarbon dating, it does not go beyond 50,000 years (that is assuming you can actualy say that there were no enviromental changes for the last 50,000 years.) As regards to the Bible, I find most people who say that the Bible is myth never have actually taken the time to read other than a surface glancing. Saying something is myth when one was not there to see the events is arrogant. That would be like me saying all scientists are wrong because I say they are. It would be irresponsible for any to say one's beliefs are based off myth if we were not there. Science like all things is subject to change over time.

The point is that simply put, neither you or I know what happened and it would be best not to assume something is wrong just because we don't agree with it.

• zarco
    zarco

Probably not a mass revolt, but a revolt that looks something like this:

Stop or decrease in contributing to the WWW and maybe even the local KH. Not voluteering to work at the assemblies and conventions. Maybe feining a little bit more illness so one can miss more meetings. Raising questions about key doctrines like the 144,000, the "end times" and others. Start using extra cash from not contributing to funding retirement accounts and investing in education. Leaving the window washing business to get a job with insurance/benefits which will leave little time for "kingdom interests".

Kind of a passive aggressive revolt.............

zarco

• Gopher
    Gopher

Wafe, you said:

I find most people who say that the Bible is myth never have actually taken the time to read other than a surface glancing. Saying something is myth when one was not there to see the events is arrogant. That would be like me saying all scientists are wrong because I say they are. It would be irresponsible for any to say one's beliefs are based off myth if we were not there.

I work in an area of a company where about one-fourth of the people are Hindu. Here is part of what their creation account is. http://www.mythencyclopedia.com/Go-Hi/Hinduism-and-Mythology.html

Hindu mythology includes several different accounts of the beginning of things, but in each version, the act of creation is really an act of arranging, producing order from chaos. Vedic texts tell of the sacrifice of a primal being called Purusha, whose cut-up body becomes all the elements of the universe. Another image of creation, that of fertilization and pregnancy, occurs in myths about Prajapati, the father of all humans and animals. Sometimes heaven and earth are described as parents whose mating produces the gods. Myths of Tvashtar, a minor Vedic god of carpentry or architecture, explain creation as an act of building.

As Hinduism developed and the Trimurti gained importance, a complex vision of the creation, destruction, and recreation of the universe emerged. Brahma brings the universe into being through his thoughts. The world then passes through a Maha Yuga, or great age, that lasts 4,320,000 years. The Maha Yuga contains four yugas, or ages. Each is shorter and more immoral than the one before, from the Krita Yuga—Brahma's golden age—through two intermediate ages under Vishnu's protection to the Kali Yuga—Shiva's dark age.

Each dark age in turn gives way to a new golden age, and the cycle of the Maha Yuga repeats a thousand times. Then Shiva destroys all life with scorching heat and drowning flood, and the earth remains empty while Vishnu sleeps. After a thousand Maha Yugas, a lotus flower emerges from Vishnu's navel, and it becomes Brahma, ready to perform his creative act anew.

So would it be arrogant to say that the above account is wrong, just because I was not there to prove it wrong? How do we know that heaven and earth are NOT parents whose mating produced the gods? Can we be sure that the world didn't go through a Maha Yuga that lasted 4.32 million years? Who are we to say?

• exjdub
    exjdub

What will you do when Armageddon would comes and you find out you have been fighting against Jehovah?

unbaptized,

What will you do when Armageddon doesn't come and you find out you have been scammed?

exjdub

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

Umm, exactly what they always do - get all excited about the "new light," and completely ignore the fact that they've been suckered in once again! Any questions, see "unbaptizeds" remark.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Honestly, what could really shake them?

For years they believed that the end would come in the generation of 1914. That was big. You could set a very tangible expectation of when the end would come. The adjustment of that teaching pretty much threw it all back in the faces of members that didn't marry, didn't get good jobs, didn't save for retirement etc. And yet the rank and file took this as exciting new news!

Yes the end it coming, but now we have absolutely no basis point anymore other than it is very close! In 20 years there will be a new part on the district convention saying that we are in the last milliseconds of the time of the end, and 50 years down the road we can be in the last nanoseconds.

They are being led by people that are themselves deluded into believing. They are experiencing a slow bleed as their death grip on information flow is weakening, but as long as people want to be told how to think they will be right there telling them how.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    What will you do when Armageddon would comes and you find out you have been fighting against Jehovah?

I don't think anyone here is fighting against Jehovah - they are exposing the watchtower society

The WT god isn't the God spoken of in the bible, and even the name Jehovah is an invention

...Jehovah doesn't exist

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit