Any Logan's Run fans out there?

by truthsearcher 20 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I just picked up this sci-fi movie from the groovie 70's and watched it. I remember that it kind of disturbed me when I was a kid. It was about a closed society that automatically kills everyone at age 30, so they can be replaced by a new baby. But some don't want to die and so they become runners who try to leave and find sanctuary. Logan is a runner who manages to leave and finds that once outside the society no longer has the same life and death hold on him. It made me think about parallels to the WT: people not questioning what they are being taught as the truth, not allowed to leave, hunted for doing so, finding that life outside the org is very different from what they thought.

Here is an interesting converstation (dedicated to all those trying to tell others the truth about "the TRUTH":

Logan sleeping - Jessica (Logan's gf) and Old Man (they have met him on the outside) in a spirited but soft conversation in a far corner.

As Logan wakes he hears:

OLD MAN
    Of course...that's settled then. But just you remember your promise...

JESSICA
    We'll remember. But that's a long time off...

She sees Logan awake and listening, crosses to him, smiling. Logan rises to her.

LOGAN
    What are we promising him? What can we possibly give him?

JESSICA
    He asked if we would bury him when his time comes.

LOGAN (beat)
    We can't. We're going back.

JESSICA
    To what?

LOGAN
    I'm going to try and tell people what we've seen and--

JESSICA (interrupting)
    You're lying! You'll never have the chance to tell anybody anything!
    You'll be killed the moment you're seen!

LOGAN
    Do you expect me to let things go on without trying to change them?!

JESSICA
    Things won't change...you know that! We can live here together, Logan...
    have a life as long as his... together!

LOGAN (showing his palm)
    Things change!

JESSICA
    You want to go back to kill, is that it?! Now, you'll want to kill your own!!! kill Sandmen!!! Killing's all you ever...!!!!

Logan shakes Jessica who is becoming hysterical.

LOGAN (softly)
    Jessica...listen to me...listen to me...(as she quiets down) The Lifeclocks made me kill
    Francis. They make people die or be killed every day. If I didn't try and destroy that...I couldn't live here or anywhere. Do you understand?

JESSICA
    I want to be alive and with you, that's all I want.

Logan puts his arms around her.

LOGAN
    I know...I know...

• dobbie
    dobbie

Yep i used to love watching that film, its not on telly often. Some bits i found disturbing too when i was young. It is all about controlling the people and conditioning them to accept whatever they are told - hmm yes v similar to a certain religion now i think of it!lol

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings TS,

YES! Chilling parallels. I had nearly put it in my basket last week. Plan on renting it this week on dollar day. Love when the 30 year-olds ascend to their reward. Thanx for the dialogue. May get back to you later with my re-take [it's been a number of years - do like Mike of York].

Coco

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Here is the site where I found the script, just FYI

http://inflow.corky.net/scripts/logansRun.html

For those who haven't seen the movie, it is quite a disturbing picture of a futuristic society based on free love with death at 30. It is rated 14A for some brief nudity but the language is fine.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I haven't seen it for years. Yes, it's a favourite of mine.

• gaiagirl
    gaiagirl

By an odd circumstance, I watched it again last weekend, with a group of friends who get together to view old sci-fi movies and television shows. Special effects were not good even by the standards of the day, as 2001 had already had far superior effects 7-8 years previously, and Star Wars would have much better effects the next year. I remember some parallels with Soylent Green, for example people who reach a certain age are recycled into food, although by different methods. In Logans Run, they are sent to an icy cave, where a robot named Box stores them until they are needed, while in Soylent Green they are processed in a factory and turned into wafers. Logans Run was one of Farrah Fawcetts first films, although she had been seen in commercials before then. Her character in Logans Run was kind of sensual but slow of intellect. Sorry that neither Michael York or Jenny Agutter show up often now in movies or television.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I like the bit where Jenny takes her kit off

• Justice-One
    Justice-One

If you can find it, the book (as usual) was much better.

Does anyone remember cops being called the Sandman back in the 70's?

• Twitch
    Twitch

Awesome! I remember that series as a kid. It was intense.

Does anyone remember cops being called the Sandman back in the 70's?

Sounds vaguely familiar for that timeframe.

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

Hah I remember my dad bringing that movie home when I was like 14 or 15.. I loved it cuz none of us knew there were bewbies in it! Yeah elder dad threw that movie out right away...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit