Resurrection vs. Re-Creation...

by Tuesday 28 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Um, what's the deal with this? I'm speaking with a witness and he keeps talking about the resurrection and the way it's explained sounds like it's really a re-creation of all of our memories in God's mind then put back on Earth in a re-created body. So in essence a clone of me with my memories and personality will live forever in paradise, how exactly is that a resurrection. Just because someone has my memories and my personality does not make them me. That's a pretty wierd one. Any suggestions on how to explain no matter how much you say an apple is an orange it isn't an orange. Resurrection isn't really a re-creation. How does this make any sense? I don't know how the JW's make sense of things. I will try to explain my concept of eternal life to you. You are a spirit. You are not your body. Your spirit continues to live after you die. Your spirit may enter another body and reanimate that body. Or your spirit may go disembodied. Maybe when you die your spirit will go live in another dimension. Maybe when you die nothing will happen and that will be it. Maybe when you die you will go to heaven. Maybe when you die you will go to hell. This is the information communication age. So far no reliable sources have reported back with credible evidence to document what happens a year after you die.

• kifoy
    kifoy

I'm not sure that I can see the difference here.
    How is "resurrection" supposed to work with no "re-creation"?

The body itself has certainly decomposed, right?
    So how do you resurrect a decomposed body without a "re-creation"?

Is the idea that "re-creation" is a re-creation of the body, mind and soul, the person as a whole.
    But the "resurrecion" is a "re-creation" of the body, but using the "surviving" soul that has lived on, and put it back in this re-created body?

Or something?

kifoy

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Weren't all resersurections in the bible just the reanimation of the original body?

• dust
    dust

Hm... So... If I decompose, and some of my atoms are transferred to a flower on my grave, and that flower is eaten by a cow, and subsequently becomes a part of another human's body, etc... How many bodies will be resurrected by means of reanimation of my atoms? And does the water molecules count in all this? I mean, at some time someone will sure drink me. You know, even now while alive, water is evaporating from my body and will probably rain down somewhere next week. Maybe on a cow.

Just wondering...

By the way, who am I? Am I yesterday's cells of my body or tomorrow's cells of my body?

Maybe the whole resurrection thing is just a way to keep us debating. Clever guy, God.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Whatever happened to the 5 year old version of yourself? It is non existent.

The idea of an imortal part or package of your essence is rooted in pre-scientific thinking about the relationship between mind and body.

Actually, re-creation is a lot more scientific as a possibility than the existence of a little control module.

As crappy as resurrection may seems its about as good as it can be.

Think about this. Your existence is just as much for "others" as it is for yourself. Think of all the people that will be so happy to see your clone.

• zack
    zack

Thanks for the thread. It is a topic I find fascinating, especially in view of the fact that JW's have only that hope, such as it is. I think that

to understand the resurrection or recreation one needs to understand death. And how does one do that? The scriptures say the dead are concious of nothing at

all, NOT that they ceased to exist on every level. Does that mean that there is some part of them that IS ALIVE?

Well, didn't Christ say of God that He was a God of the LIVING and not of the

dead? And the very same scriptures say that at death the BODY returns to the ground (dust), but the SPIRIT returns to God. So as long as God has possession

of your SPIRIT--- your life, your essence, the thing that makes you YOU (and the thing that makes you LIKE HIM) regardless of the collection of cells we call our bodies---- you are in fact,

alive. JW's use the scripture at Ezequiel where it says that the soul that is sinning "it itself will die" to justify their beleif in the total non-existence of the dead. But I believe this to be the

spiritual death, the total extinguishing of life(the spirit) by a deliberate act of God based upon His determination that a person is unredeemable, and not the common grave of mankind or

Hades or Sheol, etc....

I do not think the resurrection is as JW's believe in, but that's because I don't believe in death as the JW's do. I agree that the JW resurrection is a cloning program. It is as far removed

from God as one can get.

• timetochange
    timetochange

It would seem there must be a seed, a germ, of some sort of the person because to say their memories are recreated and so they are recreated is ludicrous. Some would call that "germ" an eternal soul, others a temporary hold on that person's individual spirit.

Ed.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

Thanks for all the responses guys. The part I don't understand isn't about the seperation of the spirit and the body or a re-creation of the body at all. As some people commented here I don't see how a re-creation of my memories and personality would be me. It would just be a replica in my eyes, like the Blade Runner reference, somewhere in the New System some guy who looks like me and acts like me will think he's me, but he's really just a re-creation, and not me.

Thanks again for the comments, thanks especially for all the scriptures, I didn't think that a re-creation hope was bibical at all.

• RAF
    RAF

The part of the spirit in essence in the whole which is you ... will always be you ... dead or alive (if its about talking about existence)

• zack
    zack

The hope, IMHO, is biblical. The JW hope is not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit