So what random rules did YOUR elders impose?

by brunnhilde 13 Replies latest jw friends

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

We had a few. The one that sticks out the most is "no parties or get-togethers for any reason!" That was a big one because the literature often encouraged this very thing. Finally, even the CO and DO told them to allow this FROM THE PODIUM and they still didn't do it! (What the !?) Everyone knew about some horrible event that took place (?) which caused this decision. Oh, except me. They wouldn't tell me because it was a secret. (???) Finally, a few of them had a party anyway as an act of rebellion. (Gasp!) From there, everyone went crazy with their wild parties. You know, the Witness kind...board games, cake, ice cream, soda... Not one hooker in sight.

Here are some others.

1. Don't get married until you're too old to do much else for the Society! Er, I mean, for Jehovah. (My wife and I broke that one first...then everybody started getting married in droves. Heh heh)

2. No part in meetings unless you had a matching suit. None of that sport jacket crap for you!

3. All answers in the literature underlined or highlighted. Yes, they'd look over your shoulder to make sure.

4. Don't bother coming to the meetings unless you have the full jacket, slacks, tie, and dress shoes. (I kept running afoul of that one and didn't cave for more than a year after I began studying. Again, heh heh) The Elders kept showing me the rule book on that one. Even had it underlined for me. (See arbitrary rule #3) The only real justification I ever got was that we should all look alike, and they didn't want others thinking it was okay to dress in just a shirt and a tie. I didn't own a suit. Some of them didn't believe me when I told them that! (I was only 18 and my own father didn't own a suit) Finally, they actually bought me one...but I still didn't wear it for months because I thought it was so petty and ridiculous I didn't want to give'em the satisfaction. (Heh heh for the third time!)

5. No R-rated movies, hard rock or rap, or anything else "risque". One newb Elder was actually berated for having R-rated movies from the podium.

IsaacJ

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

For bros: No purple suits, no white suits. Don't care if it's all you can afford.

No noisy cars.

No side jobs at home (my husband was a mechanic), because you'll be distracted.

(We drove a 69 El Camino to the meetings that we had restored, it had Flowmasters and was not 'noisy' - it was cool. We couldn't afford a newer car because my husband had to stop doing side jobs. There's no winning when the rules start flying.)

I hate them. Hohos.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

No talking to the opposite sex at the meetings, just say hi and keep it moving!

No slits in skirts

No skirts above the knee

Pantyhose were a must

• JimWood
    JimWood

As teenagers, "if you had prior knowledge" that someone was going to be at a "gathering" it was a date. That did not set well with my wife, she asked if CA and DA were dates because we knew each other would be there. They stopped her from Pioneering for that, amongst other BS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit