Science vs. Religion - Must We Choose Between Them?

by bavman 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Wafe
    Wafe

I have studied quite a bit about science and to be honest, it is not written in stone as people think it is. Take for example evolution which is considered a 'fact' by most biologists. The truth of the matter is that many are now comming to the conclusion that creation has greater weight than evolution. www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/100ScientistsAd.pdf shows that many scientist are not convinced that it was the 'fact' it was a century ago. Like all things in science, it is based on speculation ( Hypothesis ) and repeating an expriement to come to a conclusion. This of course is flawed thinking as no one on earth has all of the knowledge to say that these observations were valid ten million years ago (know anyone that was alive then?)

The truth is that scientist are willing to take things on faith (greek pistis) just like theologists. To show this point, when Dawkins was asked why he believed evolution despite the evidence agaisnt it, he explained more or less 'I can't see the processes but all the evidence points to it' or words to that effect. The same is true for theologist the difference is many scientists are too arrogant to admit it.

• trevor
    trevor

Moved to Terry's thread The vote is in SCIENCE v RELIGION

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

there is no need to choose between the two of them for me. they are unrelated enough.

religion is not something i will go and make a positive choosing of, but i can see that it does exist. and i have no problems studying religion as long as it is studied in the context that it belongs: mythology. i feel comfortable with religious studies in this regard because religion here is seen as an anthropomorphic principle, and not as a manifestly real thing that should be studied.

and as a mythology, it is interesting to see where we are coming from. and actually, i would say that the study of mythology is capable of teaching us things about ourselves, psychologically, that may be lost in the study of biology or genetics. well, certainly would be actually.

regarding a supposed overlap of religion into biology, geology or genetics, let's say, i would say religion is just getting in the way.

regarding things which people may claim are supernatural, but yet undetectable by the measuring and heuristic methods of scientific disciplines, i agree we still may have much to learn scientifically. a major obstacle may be that scientific method is not going to give us much data back about what time in the world the experiments take place since science assumes a uniformity (eg: test an electric circuit a thousand times and come to an "average"). but indeed a distinction should still be made about the semantics of the term "supernatural". if it happens in our cosmos, even if it is orginating from outside of 4 dimensions, it is still *natural*.

science will just simply not jump to unwarranted positive conclusions to make anyone feel better about their spirituality.

tetra

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

Wafe, welcome to the board,

Take for example evolution which is considered a 'fact' by most biologists. The truth of the matter is that many are now comming to the conclusion that creation has greater weight than evolution.

many? how "many" is "many", if i may ask?

if you have studied scientific methodology as you say, then surely you will understand that an argument from numbers is not an indication that a theory is factually true. however, since you bring it up, we will get into it.

www.discovery.org/articleFiles/PDFs/100ScientistsAd.pdf shows that many scientist are not convinced that it was the 'fact' it was a century ago.

there might be a couple hundred there at the most, but the authors of that pdf do not cite their sources, or even the total number. and apart from the fact that people at the Discovery institute have been shown to be intellectually dishonest, and include scientists in this list that are merely critical of certain aspects of the theory of evolution, not the theory as a whole, there may not be even that many.

as you will probably know from your research into this area of debate that according to a 1991 gallup poll in the united states, there are over 480,000 scientists *working in relevant fields to evolutionary theory* (biologists, geologists, anthropologists, geneticists etc, NOT engineering, computer science, theology etc). in that poll, only 0.15% OF THE 480,000 WERE CREATIONISTS. the remaining 99+% were not. and this does not take into consideration the western european countries where you would expect to find even higher numbers of secular thinking scientists in relevant fields.

if you say there are "many", please provide a source that actually gives a number and we will compare notes. my sources are:

Edwards v. Aguillard. 1986. U.S. Supreme Court amicus curiae brief of 72 Nobel laureates (and others). (Case 482 U.S. 578, 1987) http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/edwards-v-aguillard/amicus1.html

NAS. 1999. (see above)

NCSE. n.d., Voices for evolution. http://www.ncseweb.org/article.asp?category=2

Robinson, B. A. 1995. Public beliefs about evolution and creation. http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

Witham, Larry. 1997. Many scientists see God's hand in evolution. Reports of the National Center for Science Education 17(6): 33. http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/rncse_content/vol17/5319_many_scientists_see_god39s__12_30_1899.asp

Like all things in science, it is based on speculation ( Hypothesis ) and repeating an expriement to come to a conclusion. This of course is flawed thinking as no one on earth has all of the knowledge to say that these observations were valid ten million years ago (know anyone that was alive then?)

uh, wafe, there is a mode of discovery called CSI. have you ever heard of it? how do you think investigators gain such granular detail into crimes that they were not there to witness either? this is how paleontology works. plus it works within the evolutionary theoretical framework, making it falsifiable. there is nothing "flawed" in this at all. and then there is genetics, which is another branch of science that has independently verified the theory of evolution by natural selection. the only thing i find flawed here is your ability to make bold statements that presume to have a knowledge of scientific menthodology backing them, when it is obvious they don't.

so, let's see, hypothetical speculation is somehow flawed because it does not take into account the Genesis story? or just because it's speculation? but i thought that you said you studied a lot of science? so how is it that you miss the point that hypothesis is a main component of scientific method? and that when i hypothesis is shown to be factual over and over again, it gets to join other hypotheses with the same credibility under an umbrella called a theory. now, because all the testable hypotheses have been shown to be factual, then the greater abstraction of the theory can be said to be "factual" too, since it all works together in this place we like to call "manifest reality".

The truth is that scientist are willing to take things on faith (greek pistis) just like theologists.

why? because you say so and you provided us all with the greek translation of "faith"? HA! please show us where in scientific method scientists are acting on FAITH, and not educated estimations in developing FURTHER HYPOTHESES?? thank you.

To show this point, when Dawkins was asked why he believed evolution despite the evidence agaisnt it, he explained more or less 'I can't see the processes but all the evidence points to it' or words to that effect.

this smacks of a misquote to me dude. where did you get that? first of all, why would dawkins answer blindly a loaded question like that? dawkins would not entertain the supposed question before dealing with the fallacy in the question, namely that there is evidence "against" evolution.

i dunno Wafe, you don't seem to have your thinking cap on, sorry. when was the last time that you had such strong eye sight that you were able to view biological processes on the microscopic level? OF COURSE dawkins cannot see such processes. again, CSI my friend. unless of course you have come up with a better method that does not include reading the bible for answers?

The same is true for theologist the difference is many scientists are too arrogant to admit it

it's not arrogance Wafe. it's arrogant to ask scientists to answer questions that they know are not real questions. i am yet to see "faith" play a part in science either. it's not arrogance. just a technical fact.

if you disagree, then please show me where in scientific method, "faith" is used.

tetra

• kid-A
    kid-A

James Thomas, I am sure you did not intend to insult me with your previous comment about what is 'fluttering around in my little mind.' I am sure that you are far above that. And since you are so interested in genuine reality - at least in your personal interpretation of it without using any "filters"

I think JT usually means well, however I too find him exasperating at times with his cryptic mysticism and cleverly crafted put-downs. I think what JT needs is a primer course in fundamental neuroscience, which would clarify for him, once and for all, that there IS no reality beyond the universe created within our cortex and therefore, no possibility of perceiving an object in its true, unfiltered essence. We are nothing more than the sum total of our neuronal networks which can distort or accurately encode incoming sensory information depending upon the emotional and/or motivational context of said event. I would challenge JT to provide one example of this unfiltered, pure reality he purports to have access to.

However, if JT can demonstrate to me that he has mastered some perceptual technique to perceive and think in the absence of neurochemical transmission, I would be delighted to arrange some fMRI scans, and have the findings published in Nature....

• Golf
    Golf

Every person to his/her poison.

Golf

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

No. That said, I have absolutely no use for fundamentalism or any other broadly collectivist religious endeavor.

Dave

• Asheron
    Asheron

Still not going to add a thing to this thread.......nope...not a thing...REALLY want to but nope...I can do this.....breathe breathe..counting to 10......1...2...3..4...5..

Ash

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Religion and science are often excellent bedfellows.

Science is normally held back by poverty not generally by religion. When societies are less developed the philosophical and technical questions get put to one side, when society (normally under the cohesion of religion for early communities) can store enough food they can begin to explore other avenues of culture and science. When the dark ages gripped Europe science didn't struggle or stop because religion taught the bible although there are well documented areas of science that did cut across the church (Galileo's experience is perhaps the most memorable) but the catholics/protestants/muslims did not discourage science per se - lack of means did that.

Science has always been a preserve of the rich who could pay the Da Vinci's to experiment. As such science promoted the agenda of the patron - one reason why wars have been such fertile times for science. Almost all science now follows a similar pattern by which the rich promote the science and science becomes a tool not to altruistically discover the world but as servant to the paymaster. Religion can be and historically has been that client - the pyramids (and many other architectural masterpieces), alchemy, stargazing and astronomy, early optics (especially in painting), wood and stone working sciences, biology , genetics (Mendel's peas!), engineering and so on have seen great patronage from religious bodies. Many of the great scientists were religious (Tesla, Faraday. Newton, Pasteur) and able to practise science without problem (in fact the motivation to solve problems can be aided by a religious conviction) and while I recognise that being religious and doing science isn't the issue here I think its a valid side point to say that being religious isn't necessarily a hindrance.

When a scientist seeks a research grant the client will want something of value back thus we can have studies that absolutely contradict each other because they reflect the sponsors opinions. Science is not the unbiased utopian world of fairness that is often presented - it can be mean and dirty and intimidating depending on who pays.

The main war between science and religion is not about facts or about the principles used it boils down to one branch of evolutionary science v 6 day creation or ID. Religious thought doesn't impact upon chemistry or engine design or in the vast majority of areas of study nor does science have an anti religion agenda in most of its branches. There is a very definite power struggle going on in the area of evolution (and those fighting it are a subset of religious thinking) but it does not warrant the black and white choice of religion or science.

When the next religious paymaster dangles a research grant there will be plenty of scientists with no qualms about working for a religiously motivated client. Religion or religious people have paid for and sponsored vast amounts of research.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

One big dispute between the two is- how did we get here? Science and religion come up with completely opposing views, you can't support both ideas at the same time without being a hypocrite.

On an ironic sidenote, if science was ever to prove the existence of God, religious people would certainly jump on the science bandwagon. But not before. I wonder why.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit