"MARKED" as undesireable association because of college

by LexWatson 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad
    Mad

No matter what church or temple you go to- people will be people (Mad Translation:Everyone is screwed up- just in different ways)...

So, if you focus on the King & his Father- their opinions will matter very little- if at all- to you! I openly tell them, for example, not to use ANY presentation at the doors- just a brief intro, then ask the neighbor's opinion on a Bible Topic! They always look at me like I'm a borderline Apostate...ASK me if I care!

It's only our Maker & His Son that counts!

Mad

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

Thank goodness I went to a congregation where most of the elders had college degrees or at least some college time. Those that did not, some of their kids were in college.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

SirNose....Not only did Daniel get higher education, he even went on to get a government job!

• zagor
    zagor

When I was 18 they tried to give me the same guilt trip, and actually succeeded in it. It took almost 10 years after that to come around, re-enroll at the University and finish it. I often wonder what my life would have been like had I finished all that when I was younger. Well just to mention few

Would have qualification that would change my life from the word go
    By now would have had my PhD and probably lecturing at some leading University
    ...or be working for a research institute of some sort

Would not have a failed marriage to another JW behind me . . .

Would have a relationship with someone I met in normal circumstances who would probably be my soul mate, someone I can talk to, someone I can hug as often as possible and who would completely feel my soul in those moments of intimacy, and me feeling hers.

Would have a family, a house in mountains or by the sea and a dog or two chasing after kids while listening to their laughter.

Would have completed writing a book or two by now since I love writing anyway..

Would have been plaining how to take family trip with Virgin Galactic to suborbital flight instead of going by myself to freakin wilderness.

... hell, need I continue?!? So WTBS I just hope and "pray" that you get the taste of your own medicine one of these days. And you will, sooner or later, freaks.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The WTBCS is currently PAYING (what are the fees nowadays?) to put Bethel boys through Law School.

1: If Armagaeddy is soooh very near, why are they doing courses lasting five years, or more if you do post grad?

2: Are said Bethel Boys shunned and treated as "Weak Ones" by the others in Bethel?

3: I knew a Brother who volunteered for BS because he had over fifteen years hands on practical experience in the field they needed help for.

On his rejection letter they said that his offer of service was welcome, but as he had only a diploma in the subject NOT a DEGREE his assistance would not be required at this time...

HB

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher
    If these morons who supposedly have God's spirit, would have had age appropriate education for younger ones, then kids wouldn't have fallen asleep and needed to be spanked or reprimanded during meetings!!

Of course if they had taken psychology in college they would have known about stages of human growth and developement and that children are not miniture adults and thus shouldn't be treated as such. oh..that's right...I went to college ...they did NOT!!

If they had catered to young ones more when they were children, there wouldn't be an exodus OUT of the org the minute they turned 17, 18 etc and had the opportunity to leave.

I have never understood why they don't understand that children need age appropriate spiritual education. Do they not trust themselves to give it? Often it is a part of cult behaviour to separate children from parents but the GB seems to have forgotten to read that page in the manual.

• zagor
    zagor
    The WTBCS is currently PAYING (what are the fees nowadays?) to put Bethel boys through Law School.

Hmmm, I've heard that before, so it is true?!! Well it is really interesting they are paying them to go to Law School and not any science/engineering schools, or screw that how about ancient Hebrew and Greek?!?! None of that? Just Law School? Ha Ha, well doesn't that speak volumes where they are heading and what they anticipate to do in years to come... nuff said.

• Mad
    Mad

Zagor wrote:" When I was 18 they tried to give me the same guilt trip, and actually succeeded in it. It took almost 10 years after that to come around, re-enroll at the University and finish it. I often wonder what my life would have been like had I finished all that when I was younger. Well just to mention few

Would have qualification that would change my life from the word go
    By now would have had my PhD and probably lecturing at some leading University
    ...or be working for a research institute of some sort

Would not have a failed marriage to another JW behind me . . .

Would have a relationship with someone I met in normal circumstances who would probably be my soul mate, someone I can talk to, someone I can hug as often as possible and who would completely feel my soul in those moments of intimacy, and me feeling hers.

Would have a family, a house in mountains or by the sea and a dog or two chasing after kids while listening to their laughter.

Would have completed writing a book or two by now since I love writing anyway..

Would have been plaining how to take family trip with Virgin Galactic to suborbital flight instead of going by myself to freakin wilderness.

... hell, need I continue?!? So WTBS I just hope and "pray" that you get the taste of your own medicine one of these days. And you will, sooner or later, freaks. "

You must be a Prophet to see SO much, Zagor! With YOUR attitude- I think you will have needed MUCH more than college! Mad

• Mary
    Mary

My entire congregation knows I'm going to university and I rub it in their faces every time I get the chance. If I have a doctor's appt. on a Wednesday, I'll purposely go into the coffee shop when I know they'll all be there, with my university jacket on. It annoys the hell out of them, especially the brothers but for the most part, they're smart enough not to say anything snide about it to me.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I remember that college was demonized when I first joined the jws. Then they actually stated that it was a conscience decision and that no one should be judged for choosing to go to college. I thought great, finally some realistic thinking. Then they had a drama at the convention demonizing a young person that chose higher education over being a missionary like Timothy.

Where do they get off telling people how to run their lives. A college degee is very useful to learn to think critically. And they sure are not going to support anyone with all their money. The job market for high school graduates is dwindling in this country. The manufacturing jobs that were once available and could actually support a family are going, going and soon to be gone. It is a global economy and without a college degree a young one places themself at a disadvantage.

I too returned to college and got a degree while still a jw and it was definately frowned upon, but I was not marked. I think they are just jealous of you. When I obtained my degree, I had 3 elder's wives all secretly tell me they always wanted to be in the profession I chose. So be proud of your accomplishments and don't let their jealously drag you down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit