Born Againers and that Small Voice

by timetochange 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• timetochange
    timetochange

My born again neighbor keeps talking about a small voice that he and those in his church hear. A poster here also mentioned it:

I let my "little voice" inside tell me yes, do it or NO dont....So far since I accepted the REAL truth (1989) Has not led me astray I believe that is the HOLY SPIRIt> that little voice -because the Bible says the HOLY SPIRIT will teach you all things....I am still learning but it is WONDERFUL to know I am saved by GRACE no works,,,,,,,,Just faith.

Can any born again Christians here clarify this? Is this a voice you actually hear? I've tried asking my neighbor but he's not able to explain it except to say that only a "born againer can understand". Is that true?

I'm interested in understanding this experience because it seems to permeate the born again community in my area and comes into play in many of our conversations. They are directed to do all manner of things religious, personal and secular. It worries me.

Ed.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

The thought comes from the Scripture in 1 Kings 19:11-12 concerning how God spoke to Elisha. Of course God speaks many ways to individuals such as through other people, events, scriptures, etc., but also speaks to us in 'a still small voice' or as the NIV calls it, 'a gentle whisper'!

Outaservice

• Honesty
    Honesty

This morning a friend told me about it.

If you are in the will of God you hear it as it directs you.

If you are out of the will of God you hear it as it pleas for you to open the door of your heart and let Jesus in.

• Perry
    Perry

2 Samuel 23:2 The Spirit of the Lord spoke through me; his word was on my tongue

2 Chron 28:12 He gave him the plans of all that the Spirit had put in his mind for the courts of the temple of the Lord and all the surrounding rooms, for the treasuries of the temple of God and for the treasuries for the dedicated things.

Job 32:8 But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that gives him understanding.

• needproof
    needproof

Sounds like a mental illness to me. But that's just my opinion! Maybe the voices are from God!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

What about Socrates' daimôn?

You have often heard me speak of an oracle or sign which comes to me, and is the divinity which Meletus ridicules in the indictment. This sign I have had ever since I was a child. The sign is a voice which comes to me and always forbids me to do something which I am going to do, but never commands me to do anything, and this is what stands in the way of my being a politician. And rightly, as I think. -- Plato, Apology.
  • Perry
    Perry

Ps 51:10 - Show Context
    Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Isa 11:2 - Show Context

The Spirit of the Lord will rest on him-- the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of power, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord--

Isa 61:1 - Show Context
    The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners

Isa 63:14 - Show Context

like cattle that go down to the plain, they were given rest by the Spirit of the Lord. This is how you guided your people to make for yourself a glorious name.

Eze 11:19 - Show Context

I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh.
    Eze 36:27 - Show Context
    And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.
    Eze 37:14 - Show Context
    I will put my Spirit in you and you will live, and I will settle you in your own land. Then you will know that I the Lord have spoken, and I have done it, declares the Lord.'"

God did what he promised in the Church age or New Testament times

Ac 6:10 - Show Context
    but they could not stand up against his wisdom or the Spirit by whom he spoke.

Ac 8:29 - Show Context
    The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it."
    Ac 11:12 - Show Context
    The Spirit told me to have no hesitation about going with them. These six brothers also went with me, and we entered the man's house.

When a believer is born again and receives the baptism of the Holy Spirit, a small part of what the essence of God is, is now him. He receives a new spirit replacing the corrupted one we inherited from Adam.(zoe) His psyche or soul remains the same. God speaks by means of the Word and by means of the Spirit so that the three are in agreement. When a "born againer" reads the bible the Spirit will impress on his mind (soul or psyche) certain truths or confirmations, thus providing two witnesses.

When a born againer prays for direction in secular matters or personal pursuits he can expect peace if it's the lords will. If he feels no peace about it, then he may decide to do it anyway. But, as older Christians come to trust, it's usually a complete waste of time.

• timetochange
    timetochange

Many, many thanks to all who replied. I will print out all of your replies and think upon them.

It occurred to me this morning when I awoke, and my thoughts immediately went to this topic of born againers hearing a small voice or the spirit, that most if not all born againers are Trinitarian's, is this so? If this is true then do non-Trinitarian Christians hear the spirit as born-again Christians do? I have never heard of one but my contacts are very limited. Perhaps someone here knows of a non-Trinitarian who is born-again and hears this small voice?

My point: Are only Trinitarians gifted with the spirit and this voice from God? If so that is really something to think about. Hope you will comment further.

Thank you,

Ed.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I've never heard of anyone hearing it who doesn't believe that Jesus is God.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    I've never heard of anyone hearing it who doesn't believe that Jesus is God.

Should you hear of one, wouldn't you dismiss it as "psychological" or "demonic" (in the derogative Christian sense)?

Again, what about Socrates' daimôn (in the approximate sense of "personal divinity")?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit