Sometimes i miss talking to God

by dobbie 10 Replies latest jw friends

• dobbie
    dobbie

Although i now no longer truly believe in God ( i now neither believe or disbelieve anything about anything, its easier that way), there have been some very low times lately where i have started to actually pray and quickly stopped myself. Although i didn't ever pray v often i did used to find that if i had something troubling me or was upset then praying used to leave me feeling so much calmer afterwards about things. I realise i actually miss being able to do that as now i have no way of feeling better over sad things or whatever may be troubling me. Does anyone else find this and how do you get over it if you are really down about things?I don't know why i feel like this lately i know its daft , i can't bring myself to go ahead and pray as thats a part of my jw life thats gone for good and i don't want to get sucked back into that sort of thing. Do any of you still feel the need to pray even if you are'nt connected to a particular religion now?

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

yeah... i kinda feel the same way.i decided to go ahead and pray.. its a familiar way of meditating i guess , after 30+ years as a jw....it can help you think even if no ones listening.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Dobbie - I do know what you mean. And I dont believe in God anymore, but I do believe in something - like a central power and force for good amongst nature and humans and I dont feel weird about talking about it in my head much in the way that I used to pray except now it is much more free form and natural because I dont need to construct into the insincere form I did as part of Jws. This is how it might go

"I am so lucky (sometimes I might swear for joy here I'll spare you that!) how can that bird still be singing when it is dark - how beautiful? Wow the sky is like a blanket of blue tonight - thats so cool. I love you world" and instead of a silent amen whilst I feel unworthy for even daring talk to god it ends with me walking faster , bouncier and emitting radiant smiles to all who cross my path.

Dont restrain yourself - pray, talk, think and if it is to a higher being what is wrong with that.? Nowt mate!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hey dobbie,

JWs didn't invent prayer. It existed long before an idea of "God" came up and can very well outlive it. Don't be "overconsistent" as JWs tried to be.

Pray if you feel like it. "To the unknown god" perhaps.

Take care.

• Fleshybirdfodder
    Fleshybirdfodder

I agree with Narkissos,

Although I am an agnostic now, I find it comforting just to voice my anxiety and ask for strength to overcome it. If you feel calmer after praying does it really matter if it is beardo God up on his throne, or simply the result of quiet contemplation?

FBF

• Golf
    Golf

I enjoy talking to my Creator throughout the day. Not only JW's pray! Your the decision maker, do what suits you.

Golf

• RAF
    RAF

You know what?

I feel like I pray to God everytime I've got a feeling ... praying don't have to be a religious practice ... it's a natural thing (even when you pray religiously you still think about what you're going to say) nothing is more sincere than a feeling/emotion a wish ... you don't really have to believe since it's a natural thing you just do it without even notice it.

• You know when you feel like to say 'Thanks God" or HOURRAY when your happy because you're happy about something
    • or "Oh my God" or "Oh My" when something really move you (bad or good)
    • or "RRRRRRRRR" - "Argh" or "Shit" when something bother you

about others or yourself ...

That's all prayers to me ...

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

If you're not sure if God exists or not, you could just begin prayers with something like 'If you're there God...' - that is more sincere a prayer in some ways than a person of religion who prays out of duty. It is a sincere prayer with the right attitude of heart - God likes those

• dobbie
    dobbie

Thanks guys i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels this way i thought i was going a bit loopy!Next time i feel freaked out or whatever i will try addressing it in my head, just not to any god cos i can't do that.Thanks for your suggestions they are v helpful. Just the fact that you answered me has helped too!

• JH
    JH
    Do any of you still feel the need to pray even if you are'nt connected to a particular religion now?

Very good question.

I never did pray often, but when I did, it was intense, and I'm still the same today.

I pray less often, but I talk to God through my thoughts and it's not like an official prayer with a beggining and end and Amen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit