valentines day sucks

by lola28 25 Replies latest jw friends

• lola28
    lola28

This thread is for those of us that are single and hate everything that this day is about. I was using the ATM at Albertson's this morning and all around me I saw men buying candy and flowers and I seriously wanted to stab them....**note I would never actually hurt someone** Sooooooooo I left the store and came right to work where I will be safe from ppl and teddy bears and candy and flowers.

So if you hate this day as much as I do, feel free to use this thread to vent.

Lola ** of the bitter table for one class** saying a big F*ck you to today.

• Rooster
  • carla
    carla

Being married to a jw means no Valentines Day on his part. I can do as I always have done and give my kids Valentine's, my parents and other loved ones. Yes, I remember pre jw days the flowers, or candy, or homemade cards, poems or special effort made by my husband at the time. I treasure those and have a drawer filled with old Valentines from him that he made. It is a loss, a huge loss. Not only for me but for my kids to see such a display and see the 'corny' cards and his trying to surprise me as I make a special dinner for him and everybody would get a Valentine from me with a special desert I made for all of them, maybe candy & flowers all around as well. They knew they we also had special time later as well, the wine would come out, music, fire,or just a movie, grown up time. Trust me, I understand that Valentine's Day can suck. That's when you get your best girlfriend a very funny Valentine's Day Sucks Card! and have a good laugh or cry as the case may be.

• praiseband
    praiseband

Sorry this day is not a happy one for you. Sometimes, though, (please don't hate me!) we need to remember that we can have some control over what happens in our lives to bring us happiness. On Valentine's Day, or any other day for that matter, someone of the opposite sex is not the only possible source of making us feel loved and appreciated. Have you sent a card, flowers, candy or letter to anyone else telling them how much you care about them? This doesn't only have to be about romantic love you know. You must have co-workers you could bring in cookies. Neighbor kids you could give a card to. Friends you could call and say hello to, or cook dinner for. A widow in the neighborhood who is feeling somewhat like you. The possibilities are endless!! So, even though I don't know you, I wish you a Happy Valentine's Day - and you can know that I really care or I wouldn't have taken the time to write this to you. Praise

• Gill
    Gill

We're married and have never DONE Valentine's day!

It comes at a point of the year when it is just after Christmas, too close to too many people's birthdays and our wedding anniversary.

I'm not buying anything and he's not buying anything and we're both celebrated OUT!!!!

Neither of us are bothered and we do all our romancing on every other day but NOT when the shops tell us too!

We don't care what anyone else is doing, not doing, buying blah de blah and are totally cool about it! It's our own little rebellion thing we've got going on!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Lola, I probably have no business showing up on this thread, but this is my first V-Day and I've always hated it until now. Even this year, I'm still alone. My love is nearly 2000 miles away.

That sounds stupid and trite.

I just want you to know I never want to make anyone else feel badly, and like some others have posted, it's really not that important of a holiday. I just used it as an excuse to tell the whole board that I am in love with one of its posters. But I could honestly do that everyday (I won't! I won't! I know you guys are probably gagging on your fruit loops reading my sappy thread!).

Anyway, I just want you to know how wonderful you are, and how I know you work so so hard and you have had a lot of hard things happen in your family and you spend all your free time helping people and taking care of your sister.

Love you, Lola. You are a sweet sweet person.

• Mary
    Mary
    I was using the ATM at Albertson's this morning and all around me I saw men buying candy and flowers and I seriously wanted to stab them....**

I'd rather be in your shoes than my shoes right about now Lola. I got a dozen roses and a box of chocolates today from uh, someone who works on the floor below me who I barely know and who I am not attracted to AT ALL. And I mean: AT ALL. So of course the inevitable happens: he wants to go out for a drink. Do I say 'okay' and get his hopes up? Or do I say 'no', which I think it kinda rude after he gave me this stuff. Maybe I'll just say I'm a Jehovah Witless and I can't date people outside my religion.

• lola28
    lola28

welll you never asked him to give you anything, so just say "No thank you" and back away slowly.

Lola

• gumby
    gumby

I got a dozen roses and a box of chocolates today from uh, someone who works on the floor below me who I barely know

• Mary
    Mary

Seeing as Gumby was too god damn cheap to send me anything. Must be against his religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit