My cousin died of Lou Garrett Disease

by free2beme 16 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

Less then two years ago my cousin, who was then 39, was working on his parents home and found he was having a hard time hammering in nails. He would hit the nail, but as hard as he would try, he would end up making it crocked and he could not control it. He thought this was weird, and decided to visit a doctor. The doctor thought he might be just dealing with some issues of balance, and decided to test for things anyway. It turned out he tested positive to Lou Garrett Disease, which is basically MS on steroids. It works at about five times the speed and is 100% fatal.

My cousin was a chemist at a chemical plant in Houston Texas, had a wife and adopted daughter. He went from being a strong man of 38 to a man who could hardly lift a finger in less then two years. Finally last week, he decided to stop eating and Hospice served his needs and let him pass away last Wednesday. He was my oldest cousin, and we have not been in touch much as we grew older. He lived in Texas and I lived in Oregon, and since my parents divorce and grandparents death, the family just did not get together as much as they used too. It is too bad really, that we all grow apart so easily.

Anyway, ever know anyone who died from this or has it. It is scary how quickly it works and how much it destroys your body. The odd thing is, know one knows what causes it. Some say genetics, some environment, and other think it might be something passed as a virus. It just works so fast, that people do not see it coming and they are often gone before it can be studied enough. There is one theory though, that it might be triggered by Lyme Disease. Which is something my sister is fighting right now. It is just too bad, and we will miss him. They did a simple service, but this is just how life goes some times. You just never think, when you are younger, that one day you will know or be related to someone who dies of Lou Garrett Disease. It is just so rare.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

My grandpa died from it. It was really hard to watch him deteriorate so quickly.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Free2BeMe. (((((((((((((((( )))))))))))))))))))))))

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

A close friend in Michigan just died a few weeks back from the disease. Also, he went very fast. From healthy, riding bikes to wasting away to nothing in just a couple of months.

Outaservice

• free2beme
    free2beme

My cousin told me once, "You don't realize how important such simple things as moving your finger when you want too, mean, until you can't." I think that sums up the end of that life. You simply have no control of anything anymore, and soon, it ends your life completely.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

So sorry for your loss.

GGG

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I'm so sorry for your loss. If I may correct you, though, it is called Lou Gehrig's disease, for a famous New York Yankees

player in the 1930's, Lou Gehrig. Here is from the website, www.lougehrig.com :

Doctors at the Mayo Clinic diagnosed Gehrig with a very rare form of degenerative disease: amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), which is now called Lou Gehrig's disease. There was no chance he would ever play baseball again.

He lived about 2 years after diagnosis.

This is a horrible disease. My husbands cousin is now in the final stages; she was dx'd just a year ago, had been stumbling, etc. and no one could figure it out for awhile. Sadly, she is now in a nursing home, 58 years old, only able to be spoonfed, pretty much totally paralyzed. It is a horrendous time for families. Interesting, he had another cousin, on the in-law side, so no blood relation, who also had this; his started in his throat, so he was just the opposite of this cousin. He lost his speech, etc. but was still able to walk til almost the end.

Again, I am so sorry and can truly understand what your family has gone through.

AJ

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Free2beme,

(((HUGS))) I am so sorry about your cousin! You are in our thoughts and prayers. What a terrible disease!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• free2beme
    free2beme

Sorry for the spelling error. I think most people know it as ALS.

• orbison11
    orbison11

i spent the afternoon yesterday with my friend, she just found out a few weeks ago she has cancer, bone, liver, lung

just doing pain management

things happen so quickly, i understand your feelings

wendy

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

It's just so true; life is short. We never know what we will face, either.

If we are hurting or complaining over some minor event, we need only look at someone facing

these real tragedies of life, like cancer or accidents, etc. and be grateful for

what we have.

We need to treasure the time we have, esp. with those we love.

I guess that's why orgs like the JW's bother me so much, they take away the real love.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit