Who are following Jesus' and the Apostles' teachings today...?

by Justahuman24 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Justahuman24
    Justahuman24

PLEASE, this question is for those who are Christians and believe in the Bible. No need for those who are not Christians, don't believe in the Bible or mock religion/the Bible/God/Jesus to respond, especially if the response is going to be nasty or offensive. Thanks!

What Christian group do you guys think is following in the footsteps of Jesus and the Apostles? Any particular denomination? Or do you guys think there are true Christians in every denomination?

justahuman - but super nonetheless

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." -Matthew 18:20

Sometimes I feel that the concept of the 'Church' can be taken to extremes, loosing a sense of balance.

We can put to much emphasis on a denomination (like we did as JWs) and think that it is the source of our salvation. At the same time we can create an idea of the Church that is so abstract that important fellowship can be missed.

Christian scripture (and a little tradition) bends me towards the idea that a 'true Church' exisits when believers are gathered togeather in the name of their saviour and letting the holy spirit guide their association.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I agree with Drew and the scripture he used, I think in looking at Romans 3:4, 9-12, none of us have it right and probably have a lot wrong, I think one does not have to be a part of a religion as this one has left a bad taste in all of our mouths and it comes down to the heart, the effort and the faith in Christ as we all struggle to do our best without making excuses all the time but rely when we do sin in the sacrifice of the Christ. Other things like not judging and condemning others is a big plus in a true christian.

abr

• Borgia
    Borgia

Justahuman24,

You may find the letter called 1 corinthians to be spot on for you. Please compare chapter 3 with chapter 11. you will find some very interesting ideas about christian community. The basic problem with them was: the had "denominations"......

Main Entry: de·nom·i·na·tion Listen to the pronunciation of denomination
    Pronunciation:
    \di-?nä-m?-?na--sh?n\
    Function:
    noun
    Date:
    15th century

1: an act of denominating
    2: a value or size of a series of values or sizes (as of money)
    3: name, designation; especially : a general name for a category4: a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices — de·nom·i·na·tion·al Listen to the pronunciation of denominational \-shn?l, -sh?-n?l\ adjective — de·nom·i·na·tion·al·ly adverb
    1Co 3:1-23 LITV (1) And, brothers, I was not able to speak to you as to spiritual ones, but as to fleshly ones, as to babes in Christ. (2) I gave you milk to drink, and not food, for you were not then able, for neither are you yet able now. (3) For you are yet fleshly. For where among you is jealousy, and strife, and divisions, are you not fleshly and walk according to man? (4) For when one may say, Truly I am of Paul, and another, I of Apollos; are you not fleshly? (5) What then is Paul? And what Apollos, but ministers through whom you believed, and to each as the Lord gave? (6) I planted, Apollos watered, but God made to grow. (7) So as neither he planting is anything, nor he watering, but God making to grow. (8) So he planting and he watering are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor. (9) For of God we are fellow-workers, a field of God, and you are a building of God. (10) According to God's grace given to me, as a wise master builder, I laid a foundation, but another builds on it. But let each one be careful how he builds. (11) For no one is able to lay any other foundation beside the One having been laid, who is Jesus Christ. (12) And if anyone builds on this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw, (13) the work of each will be revealed; for the Day will make it known, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire will prove the work of each, what sort it is. (14) If the work of anyone which he built remains, he will receive a reward. (15) If the work of anyone shall be consumed, he shall suffer loss; but he will be saved, but so as through fire. (16) Do you not know that you are a sanctuary of God, and the Spirit of God dwells in you? (17) If anyone corrupts the sanctuary of God, God will bring that one to corruption; for the sanctuary of God is holy, which you are. (18) Let no one deceive himself. If anyone thinks to be wise among you in this age, let him become foolish, that he may become wise. (19) For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God; for it has been written, "He takes the wise in their own craftiness." Job 5:13 (20) And again, "The Lord knows the reasonings of the wise, that they are worthless." LXX-Psa. 93:11; MT-Psa. 94:11 (21) So let no one glory in men; for all things are yours, (22) whether Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas, or the world, or life, or death, or things present, or things to come; all are yours, (23) and you are Christ's, and Christ is God's.
    Point in case: why bother about denomination? there is only one foundation which was laid down by Christ. All else is
    something between you an your master........
    1Co 11:17-34 LITV (17) But enjoining this, I do not praise you, because you come together not for the better, but for the worse. (18) Indeed, first, I hear divisions to be among you when you come together in the assembly. And I believe it in some part. (19) For also heresies need to be among you, so that the approved ones may become revealed among you. (20) Then you coming together into one place, it is not to eat the Lord's supper. (21) For each one takes his own supper first in the eating; and one is hungry, and another drunken. (22) For do you not have houses in which to eat and to drink? Or do you despise the assembly of God, and shame those who have not? What do I say to you? Shall I praise you for this? I do not praise. (23) For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus in the night in which He was betrayed took bread; (24) and giving thanks, He broke and said, Take, eat; this is My body which is broken on behalf of you; this do in remembrance of Me. (25) In the same way the cup also, after supping, saying, This cup is the New Covenant in My blood; as often as you drink, do this in remembrance of Me. See Luke 22:19, 20 (26) For as often as you may eat this bread, and drink this cup, you solemnly proclaim the death of the Lord, until He shall come. (27) So that whoever should eat this bread, or drink the cup of the Lord, unworthily, that one will be guilty of the body and of the blood of the Lord. (28) But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and let him drink of the cup; (29) for he eating and drinking unworthily eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord. (30) For this reason many among you are weak and feeble, and many sleep. (31) For if we discerned ourselves, we would not be judged. (32) But being judged, we are corrected by the Lord, that we not be condemned with the world. (33) So that, my brothers, coming together to eat, wait for one another. (34) But if anyone is hungry, let him eat at home, that you may not come together for judgment. And the other things I will set in order whenever I come.
    Point in case: why let petty issues come between the union of christians striving for salvation though faith & grace?

Cheers

Borgia

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Justa,

I believe there are true Christians in all religions. I do not believe there is any one religion. Think of Bible times, ones who were not Isrealites that Jehovah used and approved of. Jonah and Job, for example. Then there were those who were used before there was the nation..Noah, Enoch, Able, Lot, Abraham, Issac, Jacob for example.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• mama1119
    mama1119

I think Drew and L.L. nailed it on the head. IMO anyway.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

Hi there. I am agnostic and trying to figure it out, (leaning way towards science and logic over religion at the moment) but here is something constructive. Ghandi once (purportedly) said "I love Christ, but I hate your Christians. They are so unlike Christ." That to me is so profound. If I were to start believing in god again, (or Christ) it would almost certainly be without org religion. I just don't see it right now in any church. I do enjoy the company of those who sincerely try to be Christlike. Even though I currently don't agree with Christianity, the way a person acts to me is very important as to whether their claim to belonging to "the truth" (no pun intended) is credible.

I hope that was welcome, I mean no disrespect to this thread. Thanks!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

What Christian group

imho, none...not possible. It is a personal choice.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

I don't think you will find Christians in very sizable groups. Groups cannot be Christian. Only individuals can be Christians. You will find Christians in almost any group that calls itself a Christian group.

Eventually groups want authority over the behavior of their constituents. When that happens they have, as a group, left the example of Christ. But individuals within these groups may still be free and recommend to others the freedom that belongs to the sons of God. These are following the example of Christ no matter what denomination or non-denomination they profess.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm not a christian, but i was for a while. Speaking in generalizations, i would say that the pentacostal way is the most similar to jesus and his apostles, or at least they try to be. The problem is that not many miracles comparable to jesus' and his apostles' happen. But, they try. Churches like the catholic are more like following the paulian formula. Groups like the jws are more like old testement followers, within limits, and not christian, really, but jewish sects. My opinion.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit